Page 50 of 68 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    WoW subs aren't going to get impacted by the release of a PvP game like TESO.
    Ahhaha ahahhaha. Soo funny. You mean just like they didnt get effected by a PvP game like GW2? oh wait...

You do know the PvP players are your most stable playerbase as the things they do and content required to retain them is so minimal. PvP players will play on the same maps for months. All they care about is their rating and their gear which gets reset ever so infrequently. Which is also why you dont want PvP players changing games because if they find a new high there going to stick with it unlike PvE players who whimsically play off and on depending on how fast they are clearing content if they are raiders or how bored they are with doing dungen runs and daily quests or leveling alts. These are the players the sub and unsub the most. Its harder to retain these players over long periods of time. So yea if TESO is a pvp game its gonna impact WoW subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post
    I think it could aswell, who knows what Titan would do.
    Dual subs. And with both games having complete realm independant play by then: good luck discussing these things.

As a matter of fact subscriptions in cross server gameplay are meaningless for the PLAYERS as long as there is an income stream of 1.6 billion dollars per year, development is assured...
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-02-07 at 11:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    The players that has seen every attempt of an MMO-release destroyed by really vocal haters on forums. We that used to play WoW way back in the day. You know, the old people of 25+

I am 32. I did not know you were representing me or representing anyone other than yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    But you will tear a rift into the space time continuum and annihilate us all.. .you can't play and like 2 MMOs at once.. it's against the law of nature!
    I like my fabric of the universe the way it is: Bigoted and screaming!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post
    If you're asking about what TESO is that's Elder Scrolls Online. Part of the same company that made Skyrim but not a Skyrim MMO per se.
    I was referring to the use of the word we. trying to figure out who he was representing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    I was referring to the use of the word we. trying to figure out who he was representing
    My bad. Misunderstood it. Post deleted. I assume it's the generic collective 'we' that people apply when they talk about themselves but don't want to let on that that's all it is.

I suppose it could be European royalty though making the post.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Ahhaha ahahhaha. Soo funny. You mean just like they didnt get effected by a PvP game like GW2? oh wait...

You do know the PvP players are your most stable playerbase as the things they do and content required to retain them is so minimal. PvP players will play on the same maps for months. All they care about is their rating and their gear which gets reset ever so infrequently. Which is also why you dont want PvP players changing games because if they find a new high there going to stick with it unlike PvE players who whimsically play off and on depending on how fast they are clearing content if they are raiders or how bored they are with doing dungen runs and daily quests or leveling alts. These are the players the sub and unsub the most. Its harder to retain these players over long periods of time. So yea if TESO is a pvp game its gonna impact WoW subs.
    WoW subs went up during the quarter that GW2 launched.

10+ Year Old Account
    Re: Results

So, that happened. Apparently dailies, CRZ and the other things that people have brought up as good reasons to quit didn't have as much impact as was imagined.

Carry on. See you in 3 months!
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

So, that happened. Apparently dailies, CRZ and the other things that people have brought up as good reasons to quit didn't have as much impact as was imagined.

We have seen numbers fluctuate for a couple of years now. I am guessing most of the reason for it is people taking breaks here and there, nothing more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why? Do you plan a vacation? :O

yeah that and the Chinese don't want Chinese food in their games apparently. it is like watching a Flemish farmer in a US movie: it doesn't really work well.

It took the release of an entire expansion pack to prop subs up to 10+M, anyone who thought the numbers would be higher or roughly the same since then is delusional. There's not currently much incentive to stay subbed until 5.2 and even then I'm not sure how many people are interested in playing.

WoW subs went up during the quarter that GW2 launched.
    Because they were selling an expansion, Also pre-patch updates which always gets ppl to come back and do class changes b4 and expansion. Also D3 annual pass was still in effect, i would know cuz mine was still running. I canceled my sub after my AP ran out. But that occured after the last Q ended, which means alot of ppl that would have unsubbed b4 MoP didnt because they wanted to keep D3, and that is reflected in the current Q report. Blizz basically had 1.2 mil subs in the bag no matter what, now im sure most of that number are still playing WoW, everyone i know that got the AP and was playing D3 with is still playing WoW. But there are a number of players that quit WoW once D3 came out and just love the dungeon crawl aspect of d3 and will play it for years to come like they did with d2. Prolly a small number but a number nonetheless, then theres the ppl that had the pass like me but went to play another game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    yeah that and the Chinese don't want Chinese food in their games apparently. it is like watching a Flemish farmer in a US movie: it doesn't really work well.
    I said this pre-MOP when people were theorizing that the setting was specifically chosen to prop up the Chinese market: 1) lead times being what they are the setting and theme was probably picked sometime during late Wrath. That's a bit early to be worried about the Chinese market. I'm not sure I would sign up for an MMO strictly because it was set in the USA. I sort of doubt that most people would do that either so there's some sort of odd thinking going on in that respect. People sign up and stay for the game, not the aesthetic necessarily.

@Granyala: No, not really. Just a nod that we'll do all of this again in 3 months. Regular as NPR fundraisers to be honest (and just about as often).

@Lemmiwink: And I think Blizzard is fine with the idea that people take breaks. I'm certain they would like for them to stay for the financial gain but if a month or two off here and there extends your time in the game by several expansions, it's still a win for them. I don't see a lot of people talking about that but I think it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Because they were selling an expansion, Also pre-patch updates which always gets ppl to come back and do class changes b4 and expansion. Also D3 annual pass was still in effect, i would know cuz mine was still running. I canceled my sub after my AP ran out. But that occured after the last Q ended, which means alot of ppl that would have unsubbed b4 MoP didnt because they wanted to keep D3, and that is reflected in the current Q report. Blizz basically had 1.2 mil subs in the bag no matter what, now im sure most of that number are still playing WoW, everyone i know that got the AP and was playing D3 with is still playing WoW. But there are a number of players that quit WoW once D3 came out and just love the dungeon crawl aspect of d3 and will play it for years to come like they did with d2. Prolly a small number but a number nonetheless, then theres the ppl that had the pass like me but went to play another game.

You made a claim that GW2 took subs from WoW.

I pointed out that WoW subs went up that quarter.

So now you're arguing that GW2 would have totally had a visible impact on WoW subs if only a lot of things were different back then.

Usually when you make a claim, you need to provide evidence. Making rationalizations about what might have been when someone points out why your claim is contradicted by actual facts and figures isn't very strong evidence.

You made a claim that GW2 took subs from WoW.

I pointed out that WoW subs went up that quarter.

So now you're arguing that GW2 would have totally had a visible impact on WoW subs if only a lot of things were different back then.

Usually when you make a claim, you need to provide evidence. Making rationalizations about what might have been when someone points out why your claim is contradicted by actual facts and figures isn't very strong evidence.
    You do realize that just because WoWs subs went up that quarter, it doesn't mean GW2 didn't take subs from WoW, right?

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I.... *cue dramatic music*... am willing to take the risk!
    Godspeed, brave soldier.

Deleted
    Mechanically wow is old as hell. All that "you need to target something to hit" is one of the major things where wow is completely outdated.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do realize that just because WoWs subs went up that quarter, doesn't mean GW2 didn't take subs from WoW, right?
    It proves however that the release of a PvP oriented game didn't have a big impact on WoW. It did in fact have none.
    If TESO will have an Impact about as large as GW2, then theres nothing to worry about.

I.... *cue dramatic music*... am willing to take the risk!
    You're such a daredevil... but you forgot the sunglasses. ._.

Regular as NPR fundraisers to be honest (and just about as often).
    *giggles*
    But sadly, not even half as productive.

Look people, lots of people actually plays WoW on and off. I was subbed during launch of MoP but I'm not at the moment. I will likely sub again during MoP. It's an old game with lots of on and off players. I wouldn't read too much into those numbers. I'm betting most of them could easily be on-off'ers.