High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Good levelling spec for a DK

Hello there, I am currently having a hard time deciding in which spec I'll level my DK. I have access to all of heirlooms but I'm considering to take a blood spec and level throught dungeons and leave the heirlooms or take a unholy or frost spec, use heirlooms and level throught quests. From this 3 which is the quickest way to levell ?

I'm french, I'm really sorry if my english is bad. I try to do my best.

Level as blood with the heirlooms, even if you've only got the dps heirlooms. You pretty much can't die and will do plenty of damage. You shouldn't have an issue tanking until you out level your heirlooms.

Blood is completely OP while leveling. I feel like I'm wasting my time if I'm not fighting at least 5 mobs as once.

Edit: I don't even have heirlooms on my lowbie DK, and he's an absolute monster. Honestly when tanking dungeons the DPS is just along for the ride.
    Last edited by Oekss; 2013-02-06 at 04:58 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tahanks for the replies. I will go blood so.

I'm french, I'm really sorry if my english is bad. I try to do my best.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oekss View Post
    Blood is completely OP while leveling. I feel like I'm wasting my time if I'm not fighting at least 5 mobs as once.
    The same goes for doing dailies at 90. It feels wrong not to run about on your mount and gather up 10+mobs and bloodboil them down. If you do this in Dread Wastes with the help of the cleaving buff/mantid then it's beyond stupid to it in any other spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    The same goes for doing dailies at 90. It feels wrong not to run about on your mount and gather up 10+mobs and bloodboil them down. If you do this in Dread Wastes with the help of the cleaving buff/mantid then it's beyond stupid to it in any other spec.
    It's not that hard to pull of in 2H Frost, pull a bunch burst 1 down use free DS from dark succour glyph, chain the free DS's together.

Quote Originally Posted by Criptos View Post
    It's not that hard to pull of in 2H Frost, pull a bunch burst 1 down use free DS from dark succour glyph, chain the free DS's together.
    That works to an extent but I found that with 8 or so mobs the healing doesn't make up for the damage you're taking. It also doesn't help much with rares or elites who are by themselves. With blood, I can handle 20 normal mobs or several elites without issue.

Edit: I don't even have heirlooms on my lowbie DK, and he's an absolute monster. Honestly when tanking dungeons the DPS is just along for the ride.
    Does blood have high DPS? Its one thing to be able to tank a lot of mobs, its a different thing to be able to clear said mobs via AoE faster than a DPS spec.

At level 90, its different when you're rolling in Heroic Raid gear popping massive Blood Boils because your gear allows you to tank a ton of mobs at once.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Does blood have high DPS? Its one thing to be able to tank a lot of mobs, its a different thing to be able to clear said mobs via AoE faster than a DPS spec.
    Frost is higher, but there's no lack of damage for blood(use dps gear, not tank gear though).

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Frost is higher, but there's no lack of damage for blood.
    What you said is contradictory. Either Frost has significantly higher DPS than Blood while leveling or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blood with blood boil is insanely overpowered, although it does get slighty slow at 85.
    You might wanna change to frost at 85 or else it's gonna be annoying when mobs are spread around making it very slow 1vs1.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Try them all and just take whatever you enjoy.

Deleted
    What you said is contradictory. Either Frost has significantly higher DPS than Blood while leveling or not.
    If you pull enough mobs, vengeance starts to kick in.

Uhh, it's not contradictory if you know how to actually read. I said frost is higher(it is), but that blood doesn't lack DPS either. Just because frost is higher doesn't mean blood is low, not sure how that confused you, but carry on.

At level 90, its different when you're rolling in Heroic Raid gear popping massive Blood Boils because your gear allows you to tank a ton of mobs at once.
    It's extremely easy for blood DKs to mow through packs of mobs AEing. Bosses are basically the only place a frost or unholy spec will out DPS blood while leveling, and even then it's close.

At least that has been my experience tanking dungeons so far. Nobody comes close to my total damage done. I assume it'll change at higher levels.

Deleted
    It's extremely easy for blood DKs to mow through packs of mobs AEing. Bosses are basically the only place a frost or unholy spec will out DPS blood while leveling, and even then it's close.

At least that has been my experience tanking dungeons so far. Nobody comes close to my total damage done. I assume it'll change at higher levels.
    Not really. I've found it's the same at higher levels, though my tanking is mostly restricted to heroic dungeons (it's my offspec and I'm a staunch casual). I think one of the driving factors is Vengeance. Vengeance is calculated by the unmitigated incoming damage. So if you avoid (not sure if block counts) the damage, you don't get vengeance. If you take the hit on the chin (through armour) and then heal/absorb it later, you will get more vengeance than that of other tanks (at least that's my working theory) making DK damage a little unbalanced vs other tanks.

Unless it's changed since my last time playing (I took a break) diseases are individual debuffs on each target, so I don't think they are AoE damage capped. I remember they nerfed them by making the damage spread diseases 50% that of the original, but I believe they reversed that decision.

So when you are a frost DK and you can kill one mob in 10 seconds, thus you can do 6 mobs in a minute, you'll find that a Blood DK might manage 6 mobs at the same time in also one minute. The difference being that the Blood DK will manage 15 mobs in that minute because the disease damage is just so effective in groups that large.

10+ Year Old Account
    just pick glyph of dark succor as frost/uh and its faceroll anyway
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Glyph of Dark Succor and Siphon Life (especially in 5.2), and you can self-heal while killing your target(s), and self-heal more when taking on a new one (UH=more spell damage=more healing)
    Blood is probably more effective, certainly pre-MoP when Blood's damage output is huge, but personally, I find that in MoP, rounding up a lot of mobs with much higher health pools and chipping them down as Blood isn't my preferred method. Blood build in DPS-gear should do much, much better at that, though, but still.
    Frost: Master of Burst.
    Unholy: Master of Stuff.
    Blood: Master of Survival.
    I prefer Unholy when not tanking. But not many do, and I must admit my preference has a lot to do with the fact that I have/use more buttons as Unholy (more haste=yay)

10+ Year Old Account
    Frost with Glyph of Dark Succor is awesome for levelling as for me. Obliterating mobs in seconds :P