Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is it weird wow never has a night?

Flying around in durotar atm, the sky is dark and the stars are out, but it is bright as day right now in the game. Would be nice if this game had a day night cycle, id sacrifice the artificial 24 hour day/day cycle for a 2,3 or 4 hour cycle with a real night right now. It would be more immersive than 24 daylight.

10+ Year Old Account
    it bugs me. a bunch really. i notice this all the time, i look up at night while im doing my chores.. see the starry sky then look around at eye level and see everything is bright as day. i wish things would get very dark except around torches or inside buildings.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Back in the day we had a lovely night... Not anymore though for whatever reason, guess too many didn't like it or something...

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard replied to a thread over on their forums about introducing a proper darker night in the game. They acknowledged it was something that a vast majority of players want and I think it's very likely we'll see the darkness brought back! Think of how neat it will be to see a dark Stormwind where torches and street lamps serve a purpose! I can't wait :3

When did they take it out? Remember where the calendar used to be there was a sun / moon to indicate the time of day it was?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well heres a question, what time zone are you guys in? The night cycle begins at 8pm your server time. I'm on an east coast server, but I now live on the west coast, so it won't get dark in-game for me until 11pm my time.

If you do pay close attention, you will notice that not only is there day and night, but there is also twilight as well. Around 6 or 7pm server time, if you're near water, look out towards the horizon and you'll see the sun set.

What it sounds like to me is that you guys want something that's like Skyrim-cave dark. Remember that it still needs to stay light enough so that people can do everything that they can do at night that they can during the day.

Either way, there absolutely is a day and night cycle, it's just not as noticeable as one would hope

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir1122 View Post
    Well heres a question, what time zone are you guys in? The night cycle begins at 8pm your server time. I'm on an east coast server, but I now live on the west coast, so it won't get dark in-game for me until 11pm my time.

If you do pay close attention, you will notice that not only is there day and night, but there is also twilight as well. Around 6 or 7pm server time, if you're near water, look out towards the horizon and you'll see the sun set.

What it sounds like to me is that you guys want something that's like Skyrim-cave dark. Remember that it still needs to stay light enough so that people can do everything that they can do at night that they can during the day.

Either way, there absolutely is a day and night cycle, it's just not as noticeable as one would hope
    It's 11pm server time (1am my time) and it's nearly as bright as it is during the day

I thought the game did have a night? Did they take it out or something?

I grew to hate the night/day cycles in the game because all I'd ever see is the night, because I would only ever play when it was night time in the real world. If they do bring it back I'd love it to be an option you could toggle on and off.

---------- Post added 2013-02-09 at 09:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Charecters View Post
    I thought the game did have a night? Did they take it out or something?
    Sort of. Technically the sky still turns to night but the landscape itself stays basically as bright as it is during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    I grew to hate the night/day cycles in the game because all I'd ever see is the night, because I would only ever play when it was night time in the real world. If they do bring it back I'd love it to be an option you could toggle on and off.

---------- Post added 2013-02-09 at 09:13 PM ----------

Sort of. Technically the sky still turns to night but the landscape itself stays basically as bright as it is during the day.
    That would be nice if the engine could handle it, they could sorta rip off dnd and add a dark vision enchant for helms. That way those that want bright as day nights to have that option, and those that want to know its night, can have night. Something needs to be done though.

Deleted
    It was actually quite beautiful to look at when it was in the game. Really is a shame they removed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Commissarr View Post
    It was actually quite beautiful to look at when it was in the game. Really is a shame they removed it.
    when was this ever in the full game? i thought it got removed in like alpha or beta because some people could only play at night

but yeah that would be cool if it was darker at night
    Last edited by Tauren; 2013-02-10 at 07:23 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's potential of reimplementation http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2...ack-the-night/ got a positive blue response.

Try out Firefall, the night time in that game is dark as shit you need to use a flashlight or you can't see a damn thing
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauren View Post
    when was this ever in the full game? i thought it got removed in like alpha or beta because some people could only play at night

but yeah that would be cool if it was darker at night
    It was definitely in TBC and I think maybe even Wrath.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir1122 View Post

The sky cycles but the light level doesn't change much... Though it used to and they removed it for some reason

The current US thread regarding the lack of night time.

The old (Post capped) US thread.

The current EU thread regarding night time.

The old (Post capped) EU thread.

The German thread on the subject.

The Italian thread on the issue.

The Spanish thread on the issue.

The Portuguese thread on night time.

The petition.

And lastly, the thread here on MMO champ.

Links to these threads have also been posted on other sites to try and get as much attention as possible.

So far the majority of people posting in these threads all want the night back (even if it's only with an optional slider to control the darkness). There have been very few negative comments about it.
    Last edited by razski; 2013-02-10 at 08:16 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think for the next expansion (or maybe this expansion's big announcement) they should give us a Day/Night Cycle with dynamic environmental effects.

Some classes could see better (Paladins, Priests, Rogues, Druids in Cat form) passively, while others would utilize lanterns to see and help. You could have NPC's that are nocturnal (animals, people, pets and such) that come out and appear at night. While the ones that are out during the day go towards camps, caves, villages and other areas like that.

I'd love to see the world change between day and night and have the geography and landscape utilized.

It is a shame they removed it, one of my favorite things in Vanilla was Fishing along the shore and watching the gradual sunset/sunrise. My friend and I always agreed it was one of the most relaxing and soothing things in game.

I want to see the cycle come back, but this time with greater implications and greater effects on the player and world.
    Last edited by Krekko; 2013-02-11 at 02:39 PM.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

I thought we had a night in vanilla at some point. If I had my other HD I'd look because I think I have a pic of some friends and me on mounts when we first got em at night in stranglethorn and I thought it was dark. I swear I remember a dark....but now I might be supplanting memories. Anyways I would be in for a darker dark and I'm only on a night really.

Edit: Good I'm not crazy, there are images above. We feels better now.