Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

I wish to replace my PSP, but with what?

back in 2004, I bought my PSP. it's getting old now and I haven't gamed on it for a few years now, although i still use it daily to browse literotica online (and i intend to use it for that purpose as long as it lasts). however, i want to return to mobile gaming, but I don't like that the PS Vita only works with digital download, and i'm hesitant about the rear touch screen. I also liked the pokemon games back in the day. So i've been thinking about getting a DS or 3DS. I'm not interested in the 3D part of the 3DS, because I never can get it to work properly in the store. also, it gives me a headache. If I take the 3DS, it'll be with the 3D slider turned off.

however, I can't find my way through the half dozen versions of the (3)DS(i)XL/Lite that have appeared so far, and i'm also concerned that there might be a version available soon (around 2-3 months) that I don't know of and inevitably is better for me than one I could get now.

so, can you help me, MMO-Champion?

What about Nvidia Shield when it comes out?
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)

Deleted
    Nvidia Shield? what is that? and i'm choosing it for the games, and i'm not sure if Nvidia Shield will get the support from devs it deserves.

I wouldn't bother with the regular DS. The 3DS is more than just an old Nintendo DS with 3D functionality, it has far higher specs and is a generation ahead even without the 3D enabled. With that said, I'd go with the regular 3DS that is cheaper. The 3DS XL while having a larger screen seems to only put a magnifying glass on the same low resolution. In other words, I think it sometimes looks like crap on a bigger screen. Save yourself some money and get the regular 3DS variant.

Deleted
    The Vita does not only work with digital download. If you buy games in store you still get a box and a card much like the (3)DS. The main problem with Vita is that it lacks the library of good games the 3DS / DS has. There's some good one's, but the DS has much more.

Besides, since you already have a PSP you already have access to that library of games. You're better off getting a 3DS or 3DS XL. Its only marginally more expensive than the regular DSi / DS Lite and probably worth it, considering you also get the new MarioLand, Mariokart and such. Also I think the new pokemon X and Y are for 3DS only.

If you like pokemon, grab a 3DS XL and check out the next gen of pokemon games coming later this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

Couple things.

If you're going with a 3ds, Nintendo will frequently bundle them with games, that's usually a good deal. I would go with a 3DS XL. The bigger screens are so much nicer. New pokemon games are due out in october, with Black/White 2 just out last year. None of the games REQUIRE 3d, so don't fret over never playing with the 3d on.

If you're going with a Vita, Sony less commonly bundles it with games/a memory card (usually only over major releases which are currently infrequent, and over the holidays). Factor the cost of a big memory card into the cost of the machine becuase they usually do not ship with one. you can play hard-copy vita games on it, you will need to re-buy your PSP games in a digital format. (you can, however, move the save data over.)

Also.
    Vita has a (fairly) strong online library. You can get about 75% of the total PSP library (in my experience), a healthy wad of PS1 titles, anything that's released for the vita, and a bunch of download-only type games of varying quality.
    The 3DS has a much stronger on-the-shelf line-up. You cannot get most of their boxed games digitally, and most of the crap that surfaces on the DS/3DS shop is garbage shovelware aimed at niche audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    Nvidia Shield? what is that? and i'm choosing it for the games, and i'm not sure if Nvidia Shield will get the support from devs it deserves.
    Well, all the Android games will work on it, plus you will have an option to stream games from your own PC.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)

Deleted
    Going to go with a 3DS XL as well.

Can't beat a bit of Pokémon!

Deleted
    3ds and you can get a pretty cheap non xl version now too.

Deleted
    I've got one last question. I assume the 3DS has internet capabilities. this might be a long shot, but can I receive emails on the thing?

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    I've got one last question. I assume the 3DS has internet capabilities. this might be a long shot, but can I receive emails on the thing?
    It has a really really terrible internet browser, so while I'm certain you could access them via WiFi, you really wouldn't want to.

---------- Post added 2013-02-10 at 01:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    Couple things.

If you're going with a 3ds, Nintendo will frequently bundle them with games, that's usually a good deal. I would go with a 3DS XL. The bigger screens are so much nicer. New pokemon games are due out in october, with Black/White 2 just out last year. None of the games REQUIRE 3d, so don't fret over never playing with the 3d on.
    Well, except Super Mario 3D Land. That game flat out trolled you if you were playing with 3D off. Most of them (not all) do look better with 3D turned on, but yeah for the most part it's not required.

The 3DS has a much stronger on-the-shelf line-up. You cannot get most of their boxed games digitally, and most of the crap that surfaces on the DS/3DS shop is garbage shovelware aimed at niche audiences.
    Most of the crap on the eShop is shovelware, yes, with a few really good gems, but you've missed the part where they've retroactively added every retail launch 3DS title onto the eShop as well, and all future retail launches have an electronic download on launch day as well. That's actually how a lot of people were able to play Fire Emblem in North America after all the shortages (and I got mine because of a broken street-date, nearly a week early, go figure)
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2013-02-10 at 08:59 PM.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I wouldn't buy a 3DS. Hell, I wouldn't buy anything made by Nintendo these days. I'd avoid portable gaming altogether, unless you're in college or you commute a lot. Even then, just buy a laptop with a nice gfx card in it.

Console makers and game developers treat their portable projects like they are developing disposable games for little kids, and it's extremely rare that you'll find a good title that's worth buying a portable system for.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    I wouldn't buy a 3DS. Hell, I wouldn't buy anything made by Nintendo these days. I'd avoid portable gaming altogether, unless you're in college or you commute a lot. Even then, just buy a laptop with a nice gfx card in it.

Console makers and game developers treat their portable projects like they are developing disposable games for little kids, and it's extremely rare that you'll find a good title that's worth buying a portable system for.
    Nah. The DS has an amazing library, up there with the PS2's in both quality and quantity. The 3DS' is shaping up to be really good too.
    Last edited by Duruka; 2013-02-10 at 09:18 PM.

Buying a DS has probably been one of the best decisions I've made in a long time, and that was back in 2009 or something like that. It has so many great games. The 3DS currently doesn't have any games worth buying it for currently, so if you don't want to spend too much money go for the regular DS, personally I'm holding out on it until the next Smash Bros game makes it way to the system, unless the next Pokémon games turn out to be amazing. On the other hand, web browsing seems to be important to you, and the regular DS can't even do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say go with the 3DS. I've never owned one, but I know of many people who do, and they all really enjoy having it. from my understanding, you can play regular ds games on it as well, so the library is pretty good.

3DS XL.

I have a DSi XL and a DS Lite, and after playing so long with the larger screen I can not go back to the smaller ones. It's like upgrading to a larger monitor size after having a small one, you'll not want to go back. Don't get me wrong, I still play with my Gameboy Pocket and other Gameboys from time to time but once you play with that larger screen you are going to want to keep it.

Fire Emblem, Mario Kart 8, Kid Icarus, not to mention the newest Pokemon titles are all good games for the 3DS. Not sure why someone above said there currently wasn't any decent titles out for the 3DS. I want to buy a 3DS XL solely due to the new titles they have because there are no more regular DS games coming out it seems.
    Last edited by Melodi; 2013-02-10 at 09:26 PM.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you want to play rereleases of the Nintedo franchise games, the Vita isn't bad, especially if you already own a PS3 and/or have PS+. If I were to get a handheld I would go with the Vita.

Get an iPhone, obviously. It's taken over the handheld market. Vita and 3DS are buckling because they 1) aren't a phone and 2) don't have the same online functions and 3) the games are $45 more expensive on these systems.

Nah. The DS has an amazing library, up there with the PS2's in both quality and quantity. The 3DS' is shaping up to be really good too.
    The guy is going from a PSP to something newer, I'm not sure going back to the DS is going to be a good move. There are no new titles being developed for DS, and of the ~1000 title library, all but 20 or so of the games are garbage.