Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What is it with China?

So on the front page it says that most of the 300k subs lost in the last quarter were in China.

It feels like every time that a new quarter comes around, Chinese subs are the ones that drop the most. I find it interesting. Why is this?
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

Deleted
    maybe people buy less gold nowdays?

Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    So on the front page it says that most of the 300k subs lost in the last quarter were in China.

It feels like every time that a new quarter comes around, Chinese subs are the ones that drop the most. I find it interesting. Why is this?
    I'm not entirely sure, but I do think they got Cataclysm much later than us, and are still on Cataclysm. So they could be experiencing the same problems everyone else had, but later? I dunno. I'm just guessing!

Quote Originally Posted by Otiswhitaker View Post
    I'm not entirely sure, but I do think they got Cataclysm much later than us, and are still on Cataclysm. So they could be experiencing the same problems everyone else had, but later? I dunno. I'm just guessing!
    They actually caught up with us in Cataclysm. They're on MOP right now. MOP launched in all regions at once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Otiswhitaker View Post
    That would make sense, but this seems to happen every quarter.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

Just a wild guess, but China has passed harsh new restrictions on Internet cafes, banning minors and demanding operators register users and keep records of what information they access on line in November.

Oh, and MoP launched in China on October 2nd.

WOW China has more accounts than NA/EU so both could suffer the same percentage loss but China would lose more accounts. Plus a Western account brings in roughly eight times more money than a Chinese one so Blizzard will always be keen to let investors know the losses are in the less lucrative market. Also I would not too much weight on the statement on the front page as it can mean so many possible outcomes; it could mean that 399k of the 400K accounts were lost in China, 201k were Chinese and 199k were Western subs or it could even mean that overall WOW gained 1 million subs and then lost 900k in China and 500k in the West and would still be factually accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    Apart from being a rather racist stereotype Chinese and Western subs are completely separate and why would Chinese players be buying gold when they pay by the hour which makes farming gold an expensive exercise and they have an extensive cash shop? The main market for gold in the West and gold farmers use NA/EU accounts any that have left the game would show up in the Western figures regardless of whether they came from China or not.

Deleted
    Maybe the Chinese burnout faster?

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Plus a Western account brings in roughly eight times more money than a Chinese one so Blizzard will always be keen to let investors know the losses are in the less lucrative market.
    Got a basis for this statement?

Maybe they just also got bored with the game?

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Yes, it's based in common sense. If most of your subscription losses were in an area that paid differently/less per subscription why would you not point that out to the people who invest in your company.

Deleted
    Could be aftershocks of the Diablo 3 release... because they claim many people are still playing that. I sort of understand because I know tons of people still playing that game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    Slightly racist and stereotypical. Just because they're Chinese doesn't mean they're automatically gold sellers.
    Same way being American doesn't make you fat.
    Same way being British doesn't mean you love tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    Yes, it's based in common sense. If most of your subscription losses were in an area that paid differently/less per subscription why would you not point that out to the people who invest in your company.
    I just find it funny that everyone assumed Mists would be an expansion catered toward the Chinese Subscribers because there's a good chunk of them, and yet those are the subscribers that are leaving and the Western Subscribers are the ones staying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felir View Post
    Slightly racist and stereotypical. Just because they're Chinese doesn't mean they're automatically gold sellers.
    calm down, that suppose to be a joke (yeah i know bad one). Like someone said yesterday on chat: "I'm not a racis , I hate all people equally"

Quote Originally Posted by Felir View Post
    Except the British love tea and us Americans have alot of fat people and Chinese sell the majority of the gold but other than that yeah.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Chinese authorities would not allow Blizzard to operate WOW China so it is operated by Netease who pay Blizzard royalties which works out at around $2 per month for each account.

Also I forgot to mention in my first post that as in China players do not pay for the game or expansions it is much easier for them to leave and pick up a new game, whereas a Western sub might give the game more chances and end up playing for longer as they had spent so much on buying the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kingriku View Post
    Except the British love tea and us Americans have alot of fat people and Chinese sell the majority of the gold but other than that yeah.
    I'm British and I hate tea.

15+ Year Old Account
    Do they even have subs, technically? I thought it was pay per hour..

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    A prepaid time card costs about 30 RMB in China, it lasts for about 4000 minutes, or a little more than 2 days. If you extend it to a month then it's about close to 300 RMB, which is about 48 dollars. But then you say it's less per subscription. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by spaace View Post
    Do they even have subs, technically? I thought it was pay per hour..
    More or less yes, it's actually pay per minute. There are only time cards available for purchase which you charge up to your battle.net account.