Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Would this be a good option fo long time subscribers?

So when a new expansion pack comes out I believe a great option for long(ish) time subscribers would be we could get it for free, as long as we commit to 6 months of subscription. here is an example:

When Mists of Pandara came out, those who have been subscribed for 12 months and over (consecutively with no cancellations in between) would get the expansion free of charge. They would also commit to a minimum of 6 months after that.

Thoughts?

So basically a shorter annual pass with less goodies?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    I like it. Seems like a huge loss in revenue, though, for Blizzard.

What do you mean by annual pass? The one that was used for D3? If so, then yes...but for the expansion and only a 6 month commitment.

Not a great idea for a business like World of Warcraft. I agree we need more goodies to make us feel rewarded, those who've been around for years, but overall the lose of that many expansion purchases, would be quite damaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    The gains they may get might be pretty good, people will want to not cancel so much and buy that xtra 3-4 months to get the expansion free.

---------- Post added 2013-02-11 at 08:17 PM ----------

How many cancel off and off during a given expansion? I wonder.

I know that many unsubscribe for 3-5 months before a given expansion. This would assist with less of those plus a 6 month commitment after expansion release.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Blizzard know people WILL pay for the expansion anyway, no reason to make it free, don't forget, at the release of each expansion, sub goes up!!!!! So MORE people actually buy the expansion to come back to see the world (even if they don't like it, they likely to stay for a couple of months before they leave), so yeah, it is financially not a good idea to do so, especially with a product that people WILL buy.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I will never say no to free stuff or deals, realistically long time subscribers are the people Blizzard has to appease the least; we're their most stable customers. They benefit a lot more from trying to woo off-again-on-again players rather than me, who has never had a lapse in sub since I began playing in classic.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

When you're discussing about Blizzard, any ideas that even remotely suggests a loss of a single cent will fall on deaf ears.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    When you're discussing about Blizzard, any ideas that even remotely suggests a loss of a single cent will fall on deaf ears.
    Not necessarily true, the last annual pass with Diablo III is a great example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    Not necessarily true, the last annual pass with Diablo III is a great example.
    The annual pass was mutually beneficial; it wasn't altruism. We got a free game, but they got to retain subs in a volatile time.

That said, I don't think Blizzard is against generosity. They have done stuff like given us free vanity pets for their anniversary, things that cost design time but benefit them not at all. They've given proceeds of pets to charity, which is something they don't have to do, as pet collectors will buy those pets regardless. There are plenty of examples of nice perks they've done for their players over the years.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Long-term subbers probably buy their gametime in 6-month stretches in any case.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with Tziva in that Blizzard is a bit more generous than people give them credit for, but only when it's a good thing for them too. They'll go for something they see as a win-win.

I don't see them giving out expansions for free any time soon. That's a win-loss.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

How come people are so obsessed with getting stuff for free? What makes you think you should?

10+ Year Old Account
    Will never happen. But I do wish they would reward long term players with atleast transmog gear and mounts. Most other mmos do but wow never has which sucks.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Will never happen. But I do wish they would reward long term players with atleast transmog gear and mounts. Most other mmos do but wow never has which sucks.
    They won't waive the purchase of the expansion, considering that's what brings myriad players back to the game in the first place if they've been on hiatus -- but being one myself, I wouldn't mind them seeing throwing in some goodies for veterans.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be willing to bet money the idea's been thrown around. I think they went with D3 to get some cross-branding in with the customers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Exactly, a revenue loss for Blizzard. Won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    How come people are so obsessed with getting stuff for free? What makes you think you should?

Entitled people, unfortunately. This is the same person that walks into Wal-Mart and thinks they should be able to walk out of the store with half of their cart for free because they have been shopping there since the 70's and met Sam Walton once. Veterans and the elderly fall into this crowd. Amongst the younger crowd, it seems to be video game players.

It makes me sick, really.

inb4 the business majors come along and say that you're supposed to treat your customers right by giving out free stuff, blah, blah, blah. No.
    Last edited by ablib; 2013-02-12 at 01:28 AM.