Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    Obviously or we wouldn't be here. Survival of the fittest and smartest, and we came out on top.
    Using what criteria did we cone out on top? Numbers? No. What else?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Anyone who says no feel free to leave.

We are the Apex Predator, we are the ones who rised up from mindless humping machines into something more. The earth is ours by right of conquest, and until something can conquer us it remains ours, to do with as we please.
    I wont argue with that, it's the truth. However, it's astonishing that we allows "our" property to be abused by ourselves when we know damned well we aren't technologically advanced enough to mend all wounds we cause. I mean, you don't poke holes in your lifeboat when in middle of the ocean and no help is to be seen. That's just incredibly stupid and wont achieve anything other than your demise.

Just sayin.
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2013-02-12 at 05:40 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    That is your opinion but not a fact.
    There's no room for fact in this thread and i'm very sure there will be none presented.

If we deserve to be here or not only bears relevance if you believe in the supernatural. I can't even answer your question sorry. I can imagine we would deserve to be here, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

Quote Originally Posted by macdisciple View Post
    The fact that, sickness and our fellow humans aside, no other species can hope to destroy us.
    The fact that we can take territory from any other species.
    The fact that all our effective competition died out over twenty-thousand years ago (edit: Because we outcompeted and/or killed them).

We are unrivaled in the mammalian world.

Basically: No other animal (as of yet) has the power to stop us. That's a pretty neat criterium, if you ask me.

Of course, biologically speaking, chickens, pigs and cows are much more successful than us. But here's the funny bit: They're only so successful because we eat them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    The fact that, sickness and our fellow humans aside, no other species can hope to destroy us.
    The fact that we can take territory from any other species.
    The fact that all our effective competition died out over twenty-thousand years ago (edit: Because we outcompeted and/or killed them).

We are unrivaled in the mammalian world.

Basically: No other animal (as of yet) has the power to stop us. That's a pretty neat criterium, if you ask me.

Of course, biologically speaking, chickens, pigs and cows are much more successful than us. But here's the funny bit: They're only so successful because we eat them.
    And even then, our "competition" was another species of hominids, Homo Neaderthalensis, us being Homo Sapiens

We've been on top ever since learned to throw spears and make fire.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    That's not the question though. Just because we are born and adapted to life on earth doesn't mean we can behave or treat the planet like shit without consequences. And if we even start to jeopardize the very brittle echo system on this planet we don't deserve to be here, especially not since we as a species are intelligent enough to understand when something might be harmful to ours and our fellow earthlings living space.

What we've done so far is nothing. This hasn't been harmful to anything, yet. But as our species grow and more areas become populated we do actually have a real effect on the echosystem. The planet will always be fine, we can't harm the planet. But we can and currently are beginning to make it a very difficult place for evolved life to flourish on.

If we as a species deserve to be here is entirely up to us and our willingness to adapt our ways around nature and not the other way around.
    This is just not true. People seem to think the planet is "alive". Humans care that environment is hurt, the planet doesnt and cant give a shit. It is estimated that 99.9% of all species that have ever existed are now extinct; so humans causing things die off is not something new happening on this planet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zerocoolhack View Post
    This is just not true. People seem to think the planet is "alive". Humans care that environment is hurt, the planet doesnt and cant give a shit. It is estimated that 99.9% of all species that have ever existed are now extinct; so humans causing things die off is not something new happening on this planet.
    I'm not talking about the extinction of random animals here and there. Sure, it's sad and shit but hardly relevant to our species survival. I'm talking about how we have industrialized a large portion of the planet in mere 100 years and how we doesn't seem to care about what another 100 years of expansion could cause to our living space even though we already see the negative impacts our industries and cities have on our living space. It's not a problem yet. We aren't nearly as cancerous as some people make us out to be, but we're getting there and with a vengeance. Fuck the animals, really, I'm being honest. But we should at least be intelligent enough to see when we're causing harm to ourselves and the future of our species.

Quote Originally Posted by macdisciple View Post
    Using a quote from a cracked zombie article here "As we touched on briefly above, if Homo sapiens are good at one thing, it's killing other things. We're so good at it that we've made entire other species cease to exist without even trying"

Humans had larger brain's and were able to develop in extraordinary ways. We have developed weapons that can kill everything in huge areas, bullets able to travel vast distances, and giant metal behemoths to spread destruction. We are really good at killing and destroying and have assumed control by force.

We are here in this very moment, so yes, absolutely.. Are we healthy for the earth? Perhaps, perhaps not.. Very much a philosophical question..

But the way it stands now is as so. We are alive, we dominate this planet.. So we "deserve" to be here.. The moment we drive ourselves to, or are driven to extinction, then our time here is up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even though we're destroying and trying to save the planet, as the superior species, it is our duty to defend planet Earth from everything so us and all other animals we share it with can continue to live on it. So yes, we do deserve to be here, just as much as every other animal on here :P Though we're the chosen ones to preserve the planet. (Even though we're doing a terrible job at it)

But then you would've to think, if we weren't here and Earth did get attacked, everything living on this planet would be doomed.
    Last edited by Crackleslap; 2013-02-12 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Do we or don't we?

Are we bad for this planet or not? Do we deserve the right to call this planet our home?
    Are we here? Yes?

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We can't be "good" or "bad" for the planet. Even if we blow it up or something, the particles will eventually find themselves somewhere. The planet doesn't care. If we're alive on this planet, that means nature has "chosen" (for lack of a better term) us to survive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course we do, quit being a god damn emo baby.

Okay. Okay.

How about this.

How about.

Does anything deserve to live on earth?

Think about it.

Blows your mind, right?

Everything is bad for the earth!

I think it's our obligation to kill every other life form on the planet, before sending what few humans are left into the sun on a rocket ship.

Only then will the planet be pure and pristine again, as nature intended.

Vote Cattlehunter in your next election (doesn't matter which one it is, I'd probably have to win them all for this to become a reality) if you want to see this happen.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    So what if we don't? are we going to kill ourselves because of a supposed notion that we don't "deserve" to live here? no

If some god or alien species came along and said "you don't deserve to live here" I'd say fuck you, I do live here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    The Earth isn't a sentient being. Neither is nature. We don't owe either of them anything. Not a single thing.

If we choose to preserve nature, we should do it either because it's beneficial for us or because we'd define it as immoral to needlessly destroy it. Either way, whatever we do to Earth, we're an extension of nature therefor it's nature's own fault for whatever happens to Earth. Assuming, of course, you believe nature has human properties such as that it deserves something, which I don't.

I'd go so far as to say that deserving something doesn't even exist for the human race. It's an evolutionary concept that has allowed humans to subconsciously justify in a negative sense vengeful acts towards those that don't act nicely towards us (since evolution can essentially decide who we're better off without) and in a positive sense to justify being nice to people that act nicely towards us (since evolution can decide that they're beneficial for us).

All in all, it's an archaic evolutionary vestige that has no place in modern society. I sure as hell am glad my country's judicial system doesn't count in what people call "deserving something".

Yes. We've fought our way from the bottom to the top over millions of years, we've dominated entire species and even eradicated others to ensure our survival.

Deleted
    Why wouldnt we deserve to live here, we are the top of the Evolution chart (atleast in them smarts) Survival of the Fittest babeh

10+ Year Old Account
    no, thats why tigers secretly plan to throw us out...

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    wasn't the earth impregnated by a comet bearing life forms. at least thats what i heard last.
    The Miller-Urey experiment is the most accepted theory for the origin of life on Earth.

Our sole purpose of existence is to reproduce and survive. There is no hidden meaning, no "special reason" just like any other living organism.

The whole discussion about who deserves what is pretty pointless tbh.
    Last edited by Juvencus; 2013-02-12 at 12:04 PM.