Deleted

got hacked / banned - can i appeal?

i have not played guild wars 2 for two months or so, and when i just tried to log on it said my password was wrong, so i checked my emailsand no password change request, so i guessed i just typed it in wrong and reset my password, all fine. go to log in again and im greeted with this :

i have not played in a while, never botted or anything, i was clearly hacked. it says account closure is permanent. are they fucking serious?

and yes, before someone says i am super mad right now.

If you got hacked, go to support.guildwars2.com, create an account, and you should be able to put in a support request about being hacked. via Ask a Question.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Yes, you can of course appeal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    If you got hacked, go to support.guildwars2.com, create an account, and you should be able to put in a support request about being hacked. via Ask a Question.
    ive submitted a ticket now since opening the thread, but has anyone else here been banned and got it reveresed? just a bit worried because it says its permanent.

Anet really needs to let ppl know if their password gets changed or their email. Unless a hacker is in your email deleting your messages they really need to fix this. I dont see why a game wouldnt let you know "Hey your password just got changed was this you?" or "hey your email just got switched was this you?"

The only other thing i can think of is wasnt their a mass ban wave that went out for botters a few months ago? Maybe you got caught in that. Alot of players on the forum "claimed" they were not botting but farming the same events bots were (Orr events) and got caught in the ban wave.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Anet really needs to let ppl know if their password gets changed or their email. Unless a hacker is in your email deleting your messages they really need to fix this. I dont see why a game wouldnt let you know "Hey your password just got changed was this you?" or "hey your email just got switched was this you?"

The only other thing i can think of is wasnt their a mass ban wave that went out for botters a few months ago? Maybe you got caught in that. Alot of players on the forum "claimed" they were not botting but farming the same events bots were (Orr events) and got caught in the ban wave.
    well unless i forgot my password and was typing it in wrong, my password was changed, but i never got an email about this, and i never got an email telling me i was banned, if i did i would have sorted this out sooner. im not sure, maybe i did get caught in the ban wave, but could they at least email you to tell you the accounts banned? and i was definetely was not botting/farming events or what ever, last time i played was like november or something, and that was leveling my mesmer. just gotta wait for the ticket to be answered now :>

Well, I had my GW1 account hacked a few years ago, and got it back, so while that's not the same as GW2, I can say with confidence that being banned for your account being hacked is not meant as a punishment to you, the account holder, but to minimize the impact a hacker can do....and that you will get your account back after they investigate, if your story holds up.

Deleted
    arenanet already gave my account back the botter left a nice gift, a lvl 43 ranger D: i guess i should delete it.

You *could* ask ANet for a restore, but keep in mind that a) the hacking has to have been after Dec 1 (earliest they can restore to), and b) you only get 1 restore for the life of your account.. And all progress you make on your account after the date of the restore (so, Dec 1 or whenever they restore it to) will be lost, so if you plan to do that, don't do anything on your account in the meantime.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    You *could* ask ANet for a restore, but keep in mind that a) the hacking has to have been after Dec 1 (earliest they can restore to), and b) you only get 1 restore for the life of your account.. And all progress you make on your account after the date of the restore (so, Dec 1 or whenever they restore it to) will be lost, so if you plan to do that, don't do anything on your account in the meantime.
    nothing of mine is deleted or changed, all i had was a 43 mesmer, and hes fine. i made a typo above, they left a 54 ranger on my account, doesnt have any gold, but would i get in trouble for keeping it? ive emailed their support back. i dont want to keep it if its gonna get me into trouble.

---------- Post added 2013-02-12 at 07:23 PM ----------

oh, the other thing they have done is moved me to a French server, wonder if arenanet will let me go back to my original server D:

Deleted
    You shouldn't get into any trouble at all for keeping the character on the account.

GW2 must have modeled their security off of WoW, because my GW2 account was hacked as well. The only 2 accounts I have ever had hacked have been WoW and GW2. And I probably have 100's of accounts out there. And both times it was the fault of them not me, as in both cases I had not played for several months so they could not have gotten the password from a key logger on my end.

In Anet's defense though they handled the situation so much better at least in my case. When it happened in WoW, they sent me an email telling me to stop gold selling or I would be banned. I hadn't even logged in for over a year when that happened. When I called them they had attitude, implying I must have not secured my password, and I got so pissed I told them to delete my account and every trace that I ever existed with them. Not that I would have ever played again, game was old, but I boycotted Blizzard until Diablo 3 when I broke down and gave them my money again. There was no way the password was compromised on my side as I hadn't used it for over a year at that time.

Anet though, was able to detect the incoming address as from China and did not let them into my account even though they had my password. Anet sent me a warning email asking if it was me or not. So I give Anet a lot of credit on that, although they I think might have had some account data stolen because there is no way the hackers could have gotten that password from me as, like I said, I hadn't played in months so the password only resided on Anet servers at that time.

In any case I resolved the issue with GW2 so I can actually use the account now if I wanted to, unlike in WoW's case. Not that I have any interest in logging in ever again though, unless they implement some fundamental changes to the boring combat.

Deleted
    Anets customer servive has been amazing, really fast replies and very helpful. replying in roughly 20mins, where as Email support for wow takes days :P

they have restored my account, told me i can keep all the botters stuff and are changing me realm, great support here.

also, this French botter has left me with the most French looking ranger i have ever seen.