Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    they are pretty limited on use anymore, mainly for a high performance storage server, or large capacity work project drive
    Doubt it. High performance or large capacity storage servers use either SSD or SAS discs, or bit of both. Even most datacenters run on SSD today unless you need crazy amount of storage because of lower power and cooling requirements makes those actually cheaper to use than mechanical drives.

SATA VelociRaptors never were really pro equipment, but fancy toys for nerds before SSDs came.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Doubt it. High performance or large capacity storage servers use either SSD or SAS discs, or bit of both. Even most datacenters run on SSD today unless you need crazy amount of storage because of lower power and cooling requirements makes those actually cheaper to use than mechanical drives.

SATA VelociRaptors never were really pro equipment, but fancy toys for nerds before SSDs came.
    i meant more for a home brew storage server ie freeNAS or WHS, but even that is about to change with 1TB SSDs

10+ Year Old Account
    I have decided to change the HDD.

Updated- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Dhpi

I have decided to keep the I7 as it is just $10 more than the I5 in a store near me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    I have decided to change the HDD.

Updated- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Dhpi

I have decided to keep the I7 as it is just $10 more than the I5 in a store near me.
    what store?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    what store?
    Micro Center, in store pickup only. It's about a 45 minute drive, but for $100 off it's totally worth it.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/3...1155_Processor

10+ Year Old Account
    Micro Center
    They have the same deal for the i5-3570K. The extra $40 (not 10) is not worth it. Get the i5.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    They have the same deal for the i5-3570K. The extra $40 (not 10) is not worth it. Get the i5.
    Is the I7 really that worthless for me?

BTW guys, I am not overclocking.

10+ Year Old Account

if you don't ever plan to overclock, then you dont need a K model, but its easy enough and offers free performance, so there is no reason to not overclock

worth is up to you, the i7 wont run games any faster than the i5, but the hyperthreading in theory allows you to do more things at the same time without slowing down, but its incredibly difficult to bog down a consumer CPU with tasks anymore, so, effectively you can get the i5, or pay an extra $40 for 8 way multi threading

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not 'worthless', you simply haven't indicated anything that the i7 would provide benefits for. Hyperthreading just doesn't help gaming. It's like getting a 4WD vehicle to drive to your office at work. It has a purpose, just not that one. It's actual 'performance' for games is pretty much the same. In some cases... it's actually worse, due to some games not being optimized well.

If you absolutely believe you won't overclock, then get this. MUCH cheaper, same gaming performance. Use that money for something else, or.. yanno. You could just not spend the money, too (It's crazy, I know).

The i5-3570K is important and good because it overclocks. If you don't use that feature, there's no point in spending the extra money on it. It can certainly be worth it though. It honestly feels a little 'silly' to blow 1200+ on a computer, and then skimp out on one of the most cost effective performance boosts.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-02-13 at 05:26 PM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It's not 'worthless', you simply haven't indicated anything that the i7 would provide benefits for. Hyperthreading just doesn't help gaming. It's like getting a 4WD vehicle to drive to your office at work. It has a purpose, just not that one. It's actual 'performance' for games is pretty much the same. In some cases... it's actually worse, due to some games not being optimized well.

If you absolutely believe you won't overclock, then get this. MUCH cheaper, same gaming performance. Use that money for something else, or.. yanno. You could just not spend the money, too (It's crazy, I know).

The i5-3570K is important and good because it overclocks. If you don't use that feature, there's no point in spending the extra money on it. It can certainly be worth it though. It honestly feels a little 'silly' to blow 1200+ on a computer, and then skimp out on one of the most cost effective performance boosts.
    Thanks.
    10char