Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    Yeah, many times i have seen people saying like "stay los" when they mean "stay out of line of sight". What the... Its like people have lost the very basics of grammar when they enter in wow.
    Personally I think that usually means Stay IN line of sight. Particularly when its a healer shouting at a tank! While I "generally" prefer people to type out in full I suppose it depends on the situation. If you are in a random group without vent and you type as healer, "Please dear tank, it would help me greatly if you would stay in line of sight", then the tank is probably dead before you are half done typing.

---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 04:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    The term "jelly" for "jealous" instantly makes me want to inflict physical pain on whoever uses it. :P

It's not cute, it's ridiculous. Jelly is something you put on a sandwich.
    Or if you are in England, something you might have for dessert. It would be Jam you would put in your sandwich here (although personally I prefer ham and cheese).

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hardcore.

I'm sorry but the days of the /real/ hardcore were Vanilla and BC. And I'm sure over half of those who claim to be /real/ Hardcore didn't play in those eras.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Mine would be casual. People use it now as an insult. Everyone is one yet know wants to claim to be one.

Quote Originally Posted by ghrolt View Post
    No. No it's not.
    As much as I agree DPS is perfectly acceptable, you, ghrolt, are incorrect.

DPS means Damage Per Second, which is what a Damage Dealer PRODUCES. It is the final result of what that class does.

A drawing, similarly, in the example the OP used, is the final result of what a drawer (let's say Artist) does.

So in that sense, the OP was correct in saying calling a Damage Dealer a DPS is the same as calling a Drawer and Drawing.

However, i think DPS has been so ingrained into WoW's community that it doesn't seem odd to anyone. Not to mention, with it being an acronym of something, it's not as particularly offensive as the drawer to drawing argument is. Obviously it would be very silly to call a drawer a drawing, but calling a damage dealer a DPS doesn't seem to carry the same level of weirdness because it's a string of three letters that don't even need to have actual words associated with them, just meanings.

Deleted
    Btw how do people write "would of" instead of "would have", even the natives do that constantly. I mean, people do know how to read and stuff... its not like they have to learn english just by listening.
    It's a harmless egg corn. I'd argue most of our experience with English comes from listening.

---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 05:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Hardcore.

I'm sorry but the days of the /real/ hardcore were Vanilla and BC. And I'm sure over half of those who claim to be /real/ Hardcore didn't play in those eras.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Mine is "Real" though I'm guilty of it myself occasionally,

I had one issue in my mind but forgot it already. But other thing that has been always kinda annoying me, is that everyone calls damage dealers "dps". How the hell did people come up with this stupid name at the first place? Dps means "damage per second", it cannot be name of class's role. Dps is what damage dealer does.

Do you have similar things that just wonders you?
    I'm with OP, the term DPS has always bothered me too. By this logic, how come healers aren't called HPS?

Deleted
    I really hate "mb" expression.

Back in my time(grandpa simpson mode on) it was "oom"....and i hated the term too.

And beyond all things I really hate the expressions like "Something mode on"...arrgghhh...cant stand it.

Damn! i got too much hate inside...im gonna need to visit Chem to find some inner peace.

Generally what bothers me is the word bad used as a noun "That person is such a bad." or the like.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    In Dante’s Inferno, Satan is portrayed as a giant beast, frozen mid-breast in ice at the center of Hell. And given how much of our concept of Hell is shaped by things like the Commedia, well, it's not incorrect at all
    Dante's Inferno, as in Fire.. even your own quote you contradict yourself! You realize that is a COMEDY right? So including some satirical reference is PART of the manuscript as it was written....

HELL is HOT not COLD.

Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    As much as I agree DPS is perfectly acceptable, you, ghrolt, are incorrect.

DPS means Damage Per Second, which is what a Damage Dealer PRODUCES. It is the final result of what that class does.

A drawing, similarly, in the example the OP used, is the final result of what a drawer (let's say Artist) does.

So in that sense, the OP was correct in saying calling a Damage Dealer a DPS is the same as calling a Drawer and Drawing.
    I have to DISagree with this statement, it's referring to what they NEED not what you ARE. YOU are a noun, but they can care LESS if you ARE a Hunter, Shaman, Mage, Warlock or Druid.. They NEED DPS, hence you are called by what you DO (as in verb) not what you ARE.

So it's STILL not the same as a drawer and the act of pulling on a drawer by the subject, is not a drawing.. you are STILL opening a DRAWER you are not DRAWING the device inside a piece of furniture, still bad anecdote and you are STILL wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Ally" instead of "Alliance" annoys me for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Requiemcliff View Post
    As a note...Comedy doesn't mean what you think it means. Comedy back in those days didn't mean funny as much as "It has a happy ending." which the Divine Comedy does. Really, Dantes Inferno was in the concept of "It's whatever can be most unpleasant." the inferno was more of symbolism, not really all fire and brimstone, mostly just torture and terrible things.

*Cough Off-Topic Post, getting back on topic*
    You keep contradicting yourself.. comedy was indeed STILL a "comedy", the Greeks had comedies, so they KNEW what it meant LONG before Dante... Greeks as in Ancient greeks as in Dieties and Greek gods and goddesses .. besides you JUST said it again.. Fire and brimstone, which is ALSO a HELL reference...

Thanks for qualifying and confirming that HELL is HOT NOT COLD as you keep trying to suggest. Fire and Brimstone is from the bible which is a direct reference to HELL!

The philosopher Aristotle wrote in his Poetics (c. 335 BC) that comedy is a representation of laughable people and involves some kind of blunder or ugliness which does not cause pain or disaster.[1] C. A. Trypanis wrote that comedy is the last of the great species of poetry Greece gave to the world.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greek_comedy

Besides Dante is ONE author and it was from HIS point of view, doesn't make him the authority on what HELL actually is.. Dante's hell may be COLD, but HELL is NOT
    Last edited by rjparker1; 2013-02-13 at 06:33 PM.

I had one issue in my mind but forgot it already. But other thing that has been always kinda annoying me, is that everyone calls damage dealers "dps". How the hell did people come up with this stupid name at the first place? Dps means "damage per second", it cannot be name of class's role. Dps is what damage dealer does.
    It's like calling healers "heals"

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    "Ally" instead of "Alliance" annoys me for some reason.
    I abbreviate it "alli" with an I. Whether that would irk some people more or less I guess is up for debate.

HC instead of heroic really bothers me for some reason.
    My addons:
    Announce Interrupts: Announces in chat when you interrupt a spell.
    Tol Barad Reminder: Reminds you to queue for Tol Barad by printing a message when the battle is approaching.
    EasyLogger: Turns on /combatlog inside raid instances, and off outside.
    Simple class resource bars: Paladin Rogue Shaman Monk Priest

Calling someone DPS is just as silly as calling someone Heals or Tank IMO. DPS is easier and quicker to type out than Damage Dealer or something similar. Perhaps you can try and start a new trend by saying DD instead of DPS.

Calling someone by their class instead of their name also annoys me.

The one that gets me the most though is when people say your when they mean you're and you're when they mean your.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Calling someone DPS is just as silly as calling someone Heals or Tank IMO. DPS is easier and quicker to type out than Damage Dealer or something similar. Perhaps you can try and start a new trend by saying DD instead of DPS.

Calling someone by their class instead of their name also annoys me.

The one that gets me the most though is when people say your when they mean you're and you're when they mean your.
    I thought it was Damage Producing Simpleton. Clearly one of us has been misinformed.

I do agree with calling someone by their class. I find it rude, but I still call Mages vending machines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

"xpac" instead of "expansion." Where does the "c" come from?

Deleted
    Transfering to somewhere is not crossing over something.

---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 07:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Subv3rsi0n View Post
    "xpac" instead of "expansion." Where does the "c" come from?
    Expansion pack

Transfering to somewhere is not crossing over something.

---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 07:16 PM ----------

Expansion pack
    Wow, I'm an absolute idiot. I've always equated it to "expansion" instead of "expansion pack." It makes a lot more sense, now.

Quote Originally Posted by Samaramon View Post
    Xfer for transfer.

Just ugh.
    X = trans. I'm not sure on the total history, but I know in electronics, xformer has always been common terminology for transformer.