Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    MASSIVE FAN-STORMING GOING ON HERE, NOTHING OFFICIAL

I figured the skull shape was just one of the traits engineered into them by their creators. The space jockeys/engineers clearly had a thing for the whole skeletal look and it would obviously carry over into their prized creation.

I figured the whole smooth dome was just a trait of newborn aliens. The queen alien as well as the soldier types in Aliens have been alive for several months and may have shed the dome, hence why they are more skeletal in appearance. Every alien we see with the clear domes (Alien, Alien 3, Resurrection and the first AVP movie) are all very young.

Of course this is a theory I have had for a long time before Prometheus came about, but I stand by it for now and will either abandon it or revise it should the upcoming sequels bridge the gap between the deacon and the xenomorphs we know and love.
    Interesting read. Although I don't believe xenomorph's was an intended creation by the Engineers. My theory is as follows, and bare with me, I'm special and this will be a detailed and long read. The text below contain huge spoilers. If you haven't seen Prometheus, read not further.

-My Theory-
    Everything Xenomorph revolves around the black liquid. This liquid has it's origins in the beginning of Prometheus, where unknown Engineer consumes a black liquid, disintegrating himself and contaminates the water of an unknown world. This unknown world is most likely LV-223, not earth as so many theorize. His mutated DNA mingles with bacteria in the water and it rapidly spreads turning the water and his DNA black. This new mutated version of the black liquid infects an indigenous species of worm on LV-223 and gives rise to a new species, Hammerpedes, the first Xenomorph.

Now one may wonder why the Engineers DNA had such an aggressive effect on the water on LV-223. I believe this is caused by the Engineers attempts to improve themselves by engineering... their own DNA to evolve faster, something they have done for many thousands of years. This would explain how the black liquid and Xenomorphs are capable of such rapid evolution and adaptability. Just to go further down the Engineer path. I also believe that the Engineers are in fact engineered humans and not a species of their own. They are the lost civilization of Atlantis and Atlantis is the cityship they built before they left earth, hence why it was never found, this will be explained in Prometheus 2 if I know my movies right.

Anyways, the black liquid contained inside the ampules that infects Holloway is not the original pathogen, it's an evolved form directly sampled from the Hammerpedes. This becomes clear when Shaw prematurely and artificially gives birth to the Trilobite,which have characteristics of the Hammerpede. This would not be the case if it was the original pathogen. Hammerpedes like all Xenomorphs adapt and take on characteristics of it's host. This means that the trilobite is part human, part hammerpede. Since Shaw prematurely removed the Trilobite it is still in it's larvae stage and not yet ready to burst from its host, this means it's still capable of adapting and evolving to a host. Which it does later on when re-impregnating itself into the Engineer. The Proto-Xenomorph who is later successfully birthed is therefor a 25% mix of worm & trilobite , 25% human, 25% Engineer and, hold on for this one, 25% biosuit from the engineers organically laced biosuits. A small detail many people tend to miss. So how does this translate into the Xenomorphs famous appearance? No fear, I shall have point and tell below.

- Xenos and worms-
    Worms are sub-terrestrial and therefor lack eyes. However, they have an ingenious way of "seeing". They have specialized cells on their outer skin that are so sensitive they can actually detect slightest change in light, heat or chemical composure around them. You can imagine it by closing your eyes and looking into a lit lamp. Move your hand in front of your closed eyes and you can see the small changes in light intensity. So basically worms has an array of tools to use to navigate: Nightvision, heat vision and sensors to pick up slightest chemical in the air, clearly superior to our eyes. Hammerpedes are also worms, they probably have a similar type of vision as earthworms do and this got passed on to the humanoid Xenomorphs. This is also why their skin is smooth on their heads, to improve sensory adaptations. The hammerpedes look is also adapted into chestbursters.

-Xenos and Humans/Engineers-
    This is probably the most apparent characteristic. They became bipedal with arms, legs and spine, just like humans and engineers. I would theorize that the humanoid features of Xenos is dominant because the Trilobite larvae inhabited two humanoids and therefor took on more humanoid characteristics than worm like. Their intelligence and ability to learn is also most likely caused by their double stay in two intelligent humanoid species.

-Xenos and biosuits
    This is the sneaky one, but it's not a theory, it's fictional fact. This is where Xenos get their bio-mechanical look from. As can be seen below.

This is most likely the adaptation that gives Xenos their tough outer layer that is temperature resistant.

-Xenos and Trilobite-
    I believe that the shape of the Xenos heads are related to the fact that Shaw removed the Trilobite prematurely, while it was still in the larvae stage. You can see the iconic head shape on the small larvae in the scene when Shaw removes it. Below is a picture to aid you.

I also think it is from the Trilobite Xenomorphs got their extendable jaw. At the end of the movie when the Engineer is fighting the Trilobite we can see that the Trilobite has extendable tentacles, smack a teeth laced mouth on a tentacle and we got ourselves a party! Their head shape was also adapted from the larvae to accommodate the length of their extendable jaw.

-Conclusion & TLDR-
    Xenomorphs are just a happy accident caused by poorly written characters carelessly behaving like, well, humans. The Engineers had very little to do with Xenos besides delivering the original pathogen to LV-223.

Although, this is the short version of a much more extensive theory, if something is unclear and you want more just PM me and I'll detail it further. With that said, I'll end this lengthy and incredibly nerdy post and go to bed, Goodnight.
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2013-02-13 at 01:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well looks like PA Report was not impressed.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/edito...shed-ugly-mess
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

To often are they pushed to release sooner and it's always a disaster, but they have worked 6 years on this. It should be more then ready in 6 years.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Well looks like PA Report was not impressed.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/edito...shed-ugly-mess
    "It’s like Gearbox used their money, time, and resources to finally answer the question of what would happen if science fiction’s greatest predator had to hold something between its buttcheeks while walking around a dimly lit room."

I pretty much burst into flames, fell off a cliff and died of laughter at that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    "It’s like Gearbox used their money, time, and resources to finally answer the question of what would happen if science fiction’s greatest predator had to hold something between its buttcheeks while walking around a dimly lit room."

I pretty much burst into flames, fell off a cliff and died of laughter at that.
    wait theres predators in this :P

I quite like ACM.

Doing the campaign with a friend the lobby system is similar to L4D. The missions while mostly dark corridors etc are perfect. I just want to shoot aliens and got what I wanted.

The stealth mission so far has been the best. Certainly when my mate legged it while I was surrounded by several aliens who decided I should become part of the swarm when he disturbed them lol.

A few bugs here and there but campaign wise loving it

Yay!

@Jevlin
    You don't account for the mural in the temple depicting a xeno.

I believe the xenomorph is a long standing project of the engineers to create the perfect lifeform. The black substance is the formula by which they create it, but it's incomplete. I also believe that the deacon is not the progenitor of the xenomorphs we know. Due to the murals and the fact that the circumstances of the deacon's birth don't add up to what we know about the xenos (being born with all four limbs intact and having no tail) leads me to believe that in the sequels we will see evidence of engineers returning to LV-223 (no doubt because of Shaw's upcoming attack on them) and discovering the deacon, and upon studying it they will take what they learn from it to perfect the xenomorph.

Specifically, based on the deacon's appearance as well as the image in the mural, I believe the current incarnation of the xenomorph as of Prometheus lacks the queen caste and a lot of the benefits that go with it (the hive mentality that drives them, the caretaker nature of the queen that establishes the hive and protectiveness of the young, as well as her superior intelligence, etc.).

As for the hammerpedes... I think the black liquid is the unrefined formula for the creation of xenomorphs, which the engineers use as a weapon in order to observe the effects on the inhabitants. The hammerpedes (or something related to them) may have been previously experimented upon and incorporated into the formula. I think at the time of Prometheus the engineers believe that the process should be <subject> + [black liquid] = *xenomorph*, but after observing the deacon and the circumstances of its birth they will refine it so that they will create deacon-inspired queen aliens which will have their own life cycle that doesn't require the black liquid anymore.

Again, all theories. Nothing confirmed.

Deleted
    X-COM had an awesome pre-order bonus on steam. Infact alot of the tier pre-order promotions on steam are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    X-COM had an awesome pre-order bonus on steam. Infact alot of the tier pre-order promotions on steam are pretty good.
    It doesn't change the fact that pre-ordering is a horrible thing. Seriously, watch the TB video and try to understand the points he makes.
    Last edited by oplawlz; 2013-02-13 at 04:16 PM. Reason: typo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    It doesn't change the fact that pre-ordering is a horrible thing. Seriously, watch the TB video and try to understand the points he makes.
    i understand his points.. but on the flip side it helps out brilliant games aswell.. steam offers promotions for indie devs who wouldnt get half the sales without TF2 promo hats etc and is that a bad thing?.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Sometimes I get so interested in a game, that I feel like I should play it anyway, just so I can witness it for myself. Does this hurt the industry? Perhaps, but I feel like instead of boycotting a game, the game developers should instead be REQUIRED to release a demo before launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AcrobaticMegalodon View Post
    Sometimes I get so interested in a game, that I feel like I should play it anyway, just so I can witness it for myself. Does this hurt the industry? Perhaps, but I feel like instead of boycotting a game, the game developers should instead be REQUIRED to release a demo before launch.
    There was a demo, and if I recall, it contained nothing from the actual game.

Edit: could have been a press demo, not sure. I just saw it on a review.
    Last edited by Fallen Angel; 2013-02-13 at 08:16 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    There was a demo, and if I recall, it contained nothing from the actual game.
    Oh ok, but then I think it should be illegal if the demo is not representative of the actual game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalliah View Post
    Depends entirely on the game. I see no issue with people pre-ordering a game that had a demo/beta and doesn't have ridiculous pre-order exclusive content - gamestop/walmart/whatever exclusive pre-order content and/or mission pack DLC's.

Wasn't it only playable by game journalists? Pretty disgusting if they released a demo that contained nothing from the actual game to the public (Still bad even if that wasn't released to the public).
    I added in an edit since I'm not 100% sure. TB did comment on it being a bait and switch in his video regarding preorders.

I do agree, dalliah, excessive, location specific preorder content is awful. My friend is angry because he preordered injustice and won't get a certain piece of content he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by AcrobaticMegalodon View Post
    Oh ok, but then I think it should be illegal if the demo is not representative of the actual game.

I bought and regret the pre-purchase of X-COM, bought from another site.
    First I had no idea if the game was going to be good, then they (Distributor?) had problems with the codes, and I only received it after I had beaten the campaign, and a few weeks from they releasing the the add-on/DLC.

Can't write Colonial without Colon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalliah View Post
    Wasn't it only playable by game journalists? Pretty disgusting if they released a demo that contained nothing from the actual game to the public (Still bad even if that wasn't released to the public).
    could of been the wii u version or dlc.. we dont know yet.

---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 08:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Girlyman View Post
    I bought and regret the pre-purchase of X-COM, bought from another site.
    First I had no idea if the game was going to be good, then they (Distributor?) had problems with the codes, and I only received it after I had beaten the campaign, and a few weeks from they releasing the the add-on/DLC.

Can't write Colonial without Colon.
    well through steam i think we got Civ 5 + tf2 promo's + something else which i forget.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Snip
    Just watched the movie one more time and I have actually never paid attention to what was on the mural before. /slapwrist
    Even though I was wrong, I'm happy that I was. This is far more interesting as the Xeno on the Mural actually looks like a Deacon queen, like you said. We can actually see the life cycle in the mural. There is a queen and a chestburster impregnating a host, they look very primitive though. There is even a painting of an Engineer "petting" an unknown beclawed species distantly resembling a Xeno. Very interesting indeed. I'm still going to be stubborn about the look of modern xeno's though. I still believe they are strongly influenced by Shaw and the Prometheus crew going full neanderthal, dabbling in stuff they shouldn't have. xD

As you said, we probably have to wait for Prometheus 2 before getting any answers at all ^^

Edit: Just found this: http://shazzywould.files.wordpress.c...rometheus2.jpg . Made me lol
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2013-02-13 at 10:32 PM.

The story mode was enjoyable to me. The multiplayer, however, has to be the most unbalanced thing I played.

Even worse, my preorder code for the free boost in Multiplayer didn't work.

as for the whole preorder thing, I understand Totalbiscuit's point on that they take things made during game production and end up charging you for it (if they release preorder bonus to be purchased). Quite honestly, I like it.

It helps reward people who commit to buying the game. It's also amusing to have seen people rage over preorder DLC, a prime example was the fuss over the Battlefield 3 sniper and TB claiming it was likely going to be "over powered" and it ended up being a 'meh' sniper.

well through steam i think we got Civ 5 + tf2 promo's + something else which i forget.
    Now that I think about I just recently bought The Cave on pre-purchase because the TF2 itens value was around its price(Can't be traded). I dont regret it thou heh.

I had pre-order bonus keep me from buying games around launch. Ex: Darksiders 2 and Sleeping Dogs.