Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Technology in the year 2040

So i'll be 63 in the year 2040 but i'll still be a huge tech nerd . I might not be able to afford all the gadgets I want but i'll know all about them . I was sitting around wondering about what the technology in my life time would peak at ...i'll give my thoughts and you guys can share yours and include any images/video you would like to display for your ideas.

Home pc's : Home PC's will consist of nothing but flat touch screen monitors ..no more mouse , keyboard ...and hardware housing ...it will all be in monitors and this will probably come a lot sooner then 2040 more like maybe 2025 and on . This video shows a lot of what im talking about from iron man 2 . Except I don't believe we will have the holography from iron man ...maybe just the basic basic start to that technology will be emerging . I also believe everything in your home will be linked to mobile devices and have interfaces for setting preferences ...such as setting your oven to begin to preheat while your driving home from work..etc etc

Cars : will remain much the same as they are today with better gas mileage ( 100+ mpg as the price of gas will have rose to at least 15 dollars per gallon in the us ) and people still having the option of driving older cars for vanity or nostalgia . Of course new cars will have amazing interfaces and technology . Imagine when your kid pulls up in this

Personal robots : Now this is a very if'y technology . The most advanced and best robots are the ones on mars and well ....they are a very very far cry from r2d2 let alone sonny from Irobot . Follow the money in this case . It makes sense that the military will find ways to make better and better robots ...but then again the movie industry is by far and away ahead of them in robotic technology ...we have good voice and image recognition ...bots can navigate terrain pretty well ...but still lack suitable power , CPU speed , memory required to be anything more then a toaster. Needless to say I think in 2040 we won't have anything more then maybe the personal butler seen in rocky 4

Space travel : I believe that in 2040 we will have a small base on the moon for observation purposes ( on the dark side ) and a small martian base ( Unlike the international space station it will be unmanned most of the time . It will simply be a stepping stone into a new world ...much like the tiny villages the viking made when coming to Iceland , Greenland , North America ...small steps .

Last edited by Elite Peon; 2013-02-13 at 06:44 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    Cars : will remain much the same as they are today with better gas mileage
    Gas? In 2040? God, I hope not.

Space travel : I believe that in 2040 we will have a small base on the moon for observation purposes ( on the dark side ) and a small martian base ( Unlike the international space station it will be unmanned most of the time.
    No moon base, though we may have landed a couple more people there.
    Mars? Still waiting to be visited by man.

We will finally have some awesome pictures of Pluto though.

Last edited by mmoc7805351bd4; 2013-02-13 at 06:56 AM.

I can't wait to cuddle up in my iBlankets on top of my iBed. I'll turn off my iLights by voice after reading a good ol' iFairytale.
    Raaaa!

Quote Originally Posted by Snugglees View Post
    I can't wait to cuddle up in my iBlankets on top of my iBed. I'll turn off my iLights by voice after reading a good ol' iFairytale.
    Ahhh booooo.....describe iblanket more man ...sounds good ..LOL

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    Home pc's : Home PC's will consist of nothing but flat touch screen monitors ..no more mouse , keyboard ...and hardware housing
    What about gaming? I don't see how touch screens work for most games.
    Also, I think some jobs will take more time if you only have touch screen. Typing on a keyboard goes a bit faster.

I don't see computers as we know them right now go anywhere fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to see the development of technology over the next 30-40 years, just watch Minority Report. Don't focus on the main story of the movie, but the gadgets the characters are using. Pay especially close attention to the things in the background, being used by non-important characters. It has, so far, been a great prediction of tech to come.

Of course, one could argue that it was a self-fulfilling prophecy. Many potential inventors and innovators likely saw that movie and went "You know what? I should create that!". Which is what happened with Star Trek, actually.

---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 07:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Also, I think some jobs will take more time if you only have touch screen. Typing on a keyboard goes a bit faster.

In addition to that, I plan to never own a computer that I can't repair myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.futuretimeline.net

Ill just leave this here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    http://www.futuretimeline.net

Ill just leave this here.
    While some of it may come true, a lot of it won't. These are guesses at best.
    You can compare it to what people 50 years ago imagined today would be like. Some of it came true, a lot didn't.

Besides, you can never expect the unexpected. Some discoveries will be made that change things drastically.

It's an interesting read though, I'll give you that.

Deleted
    If we don't have Nano-augs I'll be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    If you want to see the development of technology over the next 30-40 years, just watch Minority Report. Don't focus on the main story of the movie, but the gadgets the characters are using. Pay especially close attention to the things in the background, being used by non-important characters. It has, so far, been a great prediction of tech to come.

Of course, one could argue that it was a self-fulfilling prophecy. Many potential inventors and innovators likely saw that movie and went "You know what? I should create that!". Which is what happened with Star Trek, actually.

---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 07:58 PM ----------

In addition to that, I plan to never own a computer that I can't repair myself.
    People said that about cars as well, but now for a lot of cars today you can't work on them yourself, and you need to take your can in for something simple such as a oil-change.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's funny, we're suppose to make things smaller and more accessible. But what do we keep doing?

Catering life to giant cars and fossil fuels.

Technology won't go anywhere till we get rid of the dependency on giant cars and fossil fuels.

(This is not an example, it's more of a glorified pun on what car and oil companies would think of.)
    Last edited by ImpTaimer; 2013-02-13 at 09:17 PM.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

I can't tell you what the future has in storage for us, but i can assure you i will be there inventing it!

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    It's funny, we're suppose to make things smaller and more accessible. But what do we keep doing?

Catering life to giant cars and fossil fuels.

Technology won't go anywhere till we get rid of the dependency on giant cars and fossil fuels.

(This is not an example, it's more of a glorified pun on what car and oil companies would think of.)
    Hill Arious!

Deleted
    We live underwater.

http://www.futuretimeline.net/21stcentury/2040.htm

Virtual telepathy is dominating personal communications

Claytronics are revolutionising consumer products

The typical home PC of today has an integrated AI system equivalent to over a billion human brains. This machine can think for itself, communicate with its user and suggest new ideas in ways that surpass even the greatest minds on Earth. Due to the flood of data being exchanged on the Internet and elsewhere, these computers receive literally millions of emails and other communications each day.
    Last edited by Axelond; 2013-02-13 at 09:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacrament View Post
    People said that about cars as well, but now for a lot of cars today you can't work on them yourself, and you need to take your can in for something simple such as a oil-change.
    They have computers like that too. They're called Macs. And I'll never buy either. I'll fix my own car, and I'll fix my own computer. I'm not going to be tricked in to buying a new one just because some $0.90 part broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    They have computers like that too. They're called Macs. And I'll never buy either. I'll fix my own car, and I'll fix my own computer. I'm not going to be tricked in to buying a new one just because some $0.90 part broke.
    Uhm... do you purchase new cars? Do you have the diagnostic software needed to interface with the computers in the cars to read the error reports?

Also, there will be a time (soon, most likely) when computers are so complex it is literally easier and less expensive to just trade it in for a new one. Of course at that point we will all be essentially using green screens and there will be one large Computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelond View Post
    The typical home PC of today has an integrated AI system equivalent to over a billion human brains. This machine can think for itself, communicate with its user and suggest new ideas in ways that surpass even the greatest minds on Earth. Due to the flood of data being exchanged on the Internet and elsewhere, these computers receive literally millions of emails and other communications each day.
    I believe it. And not just because of Moore's law. I discovered something today. Something that shocked me. I was browsing the internet today with google chrome, when I saw a picture. This picture had a watermark from a sight I'd never been to before. That website was didyouknowgaming.com. So I went to my address bar, and literally just typed in "did you" and just like that, it autofilled "did you know gaming". I was surprised, to say the least. I'm still not sure how it did that. There must be a billion different searches starting with "did you". But it already knew what I was going for.

So how did it do that? I mean, I'm a god damn programming major and I can't fathom it. My first guess was that it was analyzing the picture I was looking at, and made the connection. That's literally the only thing I can think of.

So... how far away is Google Chrome from actual AI? Or just being full-blown sentient, for that matter?

There will be a moon base wherein we can fire "lasers" to invading aliens. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post

Imagine playing wow on a much much much more advanced version of the Kinect from xbox ..instead of playing wow as we do now we play out our characters rolls ...casting spells and such ..in full body motion and also the npc's are totally interactive ...basically the super cheap version of the holodeck ...thats gaming in 2040 .