Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Low FPS - what is my weak point?

After a few months I decided to revive my old PC. I needed to change graphic card. I also added 2GB ram and new power supply (to handle graphic card). Right now I have antique PC:

ASUS ENGTX275
    Intel Core 2 Due E4500 2.2
    4GB Ram 800Mhz cl4
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
    1680x1050

And with this hardware I should be able to play WoW with better than avarage performance (friend of mine with this GPU run WoW on ultra details). But I can't Game recommend to use "Good" graphic settings. But even on "low" settings I have ~20fps (or less) during raid. I'm raiding 25 man. What is my weak point? RAM? CPU? Or maybe is not hardware but sofware issue?

I switch off all unnecessary software and updated drivers. Tried run WoW on DX9 and DX11. No difference...

For last 3 months I used to play on my laptop (I3 380M, GF420M, 6GB RAM, Win7 64bit) and with same resolution i have 30fps+. Strange, especially as we consider that the graphics card is four times slower...

What can I do to improve my fps? It's horrible to raid with less than 20fps...

Deleted
    it's the CPU ...

wow relies heavily on the cpu.
    i guess there isn't much you can do... i don't know if this CPU is overclockable, but it wont help that much. sry

What I found so far, the best CPU I can put in this motherboard (LGA775) is Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz. Will this fix my issue?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeeesh. That CPU. That's where your weakpoint is, 800 mhz ram makes me sad but that's probably just the elitist in me coming out.

Also, that's a DX 10 card. You shouldn't even be able to run it at DX 11.

Quote Originally Posted by dzidek View Post
    What I found so far, the best CPU I can put in this motherboard (LGA775) is Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz. Will this fix my issue?
    I'd say you'd be better off getting a new motherboard + cpu rather than upgrading to a 6 year old CPU.

the crap CPU and slow ram are the issue. also running DX 11 on a DX10 card will cause major issues the two are not alike and DX 11 can only run right on DX11 compataible cards

I don't want to put to much money in this crap :/ New CPU is about 75 euro. And it's acceptable costs. I use this PC only to run WoW. Don't want to buy new one. New motherboard force me to buy new ram (besides cpu).

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't want to put to much money in this crap :/ New CPU is about 75 euro. And it's acceptable costs. I use this PC only to run WoW. Don't want to buy new one. New motherboard force me to buy new ram (besides cpu).
    New ram is cheap, and your ram is kinda old anyway.

I can't guarantee a Q6600 is going to solve the issue, though.

for $600 (about 550 euro) you can get a system that smokes that POS. or for $300 ( about 250 euro) you can get a good butget system thats twice as good as that one

10+ Year Old Account
    The E4500 is garbage (low FSB). Buy a used Q6600 and overclock it. Get an Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2 heatsink/fan for it (about 20 euro).

Although why do you say you can only go up to Q6600? What's the exact model of your motherboard? Or do you mean the Q6600 is the only one you can buy new?
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Quote Originally Posted by kojinshugi View Post
    The E4500 is garbage (low FSB). Buy a used Q6600 and overclock it. Get an Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2 heatsink/fan for it (about 20 euro).

Although why do you say you can only go up to Q6600? What's the exact model of your motherboard? Or do you mean the Q6600 is the only one you can buy new?
    Hmm I'm at work right now and can't check my motherboard. What is the best CPU which I can put into LGA775 / Socket T? Lis is here http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Soc...0(LGA775).html (I think...)

10+ Year Old Account
    Although the motherboard upgrade option is not as expensive as you may think.

A cheaper DDR3 4gb stick is about 16-17 euro.
    A cheaper mATX S1155 motherboard is about 35 euro.
    And a Pentium G850 is almost as good as an i3, for 65 euro.

It will run you about 115, but this is guaranteed to improve your FPS dramatically, and is also future proof as it can take cheap, modern DDR3 ram if you need more, and the 1155 will take better CPUs.

---------- Post added 2013-02-14 at 07:50 AM ----------

Hmm I'm at work right now and can't check my motherboard. What is the best CPU which I can put into LGA775 / Socket T? Lis is here http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Soc...0(LGA775).html (I think...)
    It depends on your motherboard. There are some decent 45nm CPUs for the 775, but your motherboard may not support them. A 1155 solution is preferrable.
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

I need only 5-10 fps more. Is it worth 100, 200 or 300+ euro?

10+ Year Old Account
    I need only 5-10 fps more. Is it worth 100, 200 or 300+ euro?
    That's pretty much entirely up to you.

So my point is now: is there any solution to improve fps by 5-10 other than buy new cpu/motherboard/ram?

10+ Year Old Account
    So my point is now: is there any solution to improve fps by 5-10 other than buy new cpu/motherboard/ram?
    You're not going to see these increases without upgrading hardware. Even overclocking your GPU (not sure how well your card would do in that respect) won't net you 5-10 FPS when you run at 20 as is.

10+ Year Old Account
    GPU or CPU?
    What? as far as replacing goes?

That 10-15 FPS gain is going to be lost once the new expansion comes out. That's why it's better to future proof your PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    What? as far as replacing goes?
    You wrote: "Even overclocking your GPU (...)". By GPU you mean graphic card? Why should I overclock my GPU if graphic card is not an issue. CPU is. Correct me if i'm wrong.

@Tehterokkar
    Next expansion? When? I do not think now what will happen in two or three years ahead.

10+ Year Old Account
    You wrote: "Even overclocking your GPU (...)". By GPU you mean graphic card? Why should I overclock my GPU if graphic card is not an issue. CPU is. Correct me if i'm wrong.

@Tehterokkar
    Next expansion? When? I do not think now what will happen in two or three years ahead.
    Your GPU can still pick up the slack your CPU leaves.