Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Well we are on the topic of waight. I want to put waight on im 10stone 5.7 male. and I been wondering what would be a cheap way and a good start not over doing it.
    like what sorta foods should I go for and they cant be expensive. I've been thinking about buying some cheap waights. I take the dog out alot more now too.

Quote Originally Posted by Erfan1 View Post
    low carb diet my friend, its all you need

also, using smaller cuttlery helps you enjoy smaller meals longer and gives you a satisfied feeling sooner.
    Low carb diets have not been proved to speed up fat loss. They work, but know what else works? Eating less than your body burns everyday. Simple as that. Eat whatever you want, chocolate, cake, pizza, whatever it is, if your body burns more energy then you're taking in, you'll lose weight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessalg View Post
    Its not a myth, but depends alot on what you eat.
    If you eat carbs then yes, it does matter, because if you dont use your carbs, it ends up as fat when your body absorbs it during the night.
    But you can however eat proteins in the evening if you are hungry.

And it also does matter how many times you eat, eating often and in small doses gives you a more even blood sugar level wich increases your fat-burn rate.

Regarding the topic at hand, how to loose weight, dont over do it in the start.
    A big mistake many do is to start out exercising 5-6 times/week, go for it a few weeks and then get tired of it/gets an injury due to overexhaustion.

So my advice is, begin with 1-2 days/week weight training, 1-2 days cardio, and take a walk for an hour or so for the rest of the days except one.
    Allways have atleast 1 day with complete rest.

Regarding what you eat, lay of the candy, soda and the like.
    Keep your diet concisted mainly of protein and vegetables.
    If u want to eat carbs, do it from the morning or before/after your workout sessions, thats the time you can use it the most effectivly.

And its never to late to start, but the older you get, the more time and effort you have to put into it.
    Good luck!
    All kinds of myths in this post.
    If you eat carbs late night but you are in a caloric deficit, what do you think happens?

---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 05:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dannypoos View Post
    Well we are on the topic of waight. I want to put waight on im 10stone 5.7 male. and I been wondering what would be a cheap way and a good start not over doing it.
    like what sorta foods should I go for and they cant be expensive. I've been thinking about buying some cheap waights. I take the dog out alot more now too.
    You just need a caloric surplus.

Deleted
    the problem is it will cost me loads because I would have to eat ALOT.. because otherwise it wont work. soo I need to find cheap high calorie items. not that easy because alot of cheap food isnt very tasty.. also what would be a good weight to lift just thoose ones you hold in each hand.. I dont want stupid heavy I can barly lift.

the problem is it will cost me loads because I would have to eat ALOT.. because otherwise it wont work. soo I need to find cheap high calorie items. not that easy because alot of cheap food isnt very tasty.. also what would be a good weight to lift just thoose ones you hold in each hand.. I dont want stupid heavy I can barly lift.
    If you're looking to add mass, hell, even on a cut to maintain or even gain strength, you want to lift heavy. If you're starting out, I can't emphasise compound movements enough and VOLUME. If a program says workout 3 times a week but you feel you can do more, then do it! Unless you're busy or actually exhausted from previous sessions, then don't train, but if you feel fine, doing more wont hurt. If you can't squat 225x5 you can't overtrain. No exercise is bad for you unless you're doing proper form. Deadlifts bad for your back? Squats bad for your knees? Please, deadlifts are one of the best exercise to do to build lower back

Deleted
    And how much do you have to eat to gain weight? ( And dont just say alot >_> ) You probably arent eating as much as you think
    And when people say heavy weights, what they mean is whats heavy for YOU as a person.

dannypoos, as far as cheap calorie dense foods, peanut butter is awesome. A tablespoon, roughly 20g, is like ~130 calories. Good to meet your fat intake for the day too. Almonds are great too but can be $$/££ 30g is around 180 calories.

Go find some military high energy rations and you'll put on weight fast.

Deleted
    Well atm I dont eat alot at all , some times once a day. I'm going have to try find a list of foods from UK to work in my dole budget...then stick to the work out because I've seen alot of pictures guys kinny like me and they actually got themself alot bigger.. ive played wow for soo long I feel weak :OOOO but Ive stopped playing wow and looking for a job xD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    All kinds of myths in this post.
    If you eat carbs late night but you are in a caloric deficit, what do you think happens?

---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 05:55 PM ----------

You just need a caloric surplus.
    Depends on how big the deficit is and the amount of carbs?

I am in a similar situation as you. I am 35, overweight (not too horribly though), and was suffering from lack of energy. Getting older sucks.

Lucky for me, I work in the medical field, so I was able to consult with many of my coworkers on the subject. Here's the general consensus from 5 doctors, 5 nurses, and the trainer at the gym I joined.

First, keep a food journal. There's a number of them online, but tracking what you eat, how much you eat, and when you eat is important. People tend to either eat too many or too few calories. Eating more than what your body burns obviously will cause weight gain, but eating to little can slow your metabolism as well. So, you need to strike a balance. Secondly, find yourself a good multivitamin. Most people are vitamin deficient, depending on what they eat. Thirdly, water is your friend. Water is the perfect way to keep yourself hydrated, and it's very cleansing for the system as well. You don't have to cut pop, coffee, tea, etc. You just have to limit yourself to how much you intake though. Lastly, don't outright deny yourself ALL comfort foods. Again, moderation is where it's at. Far too many people fail their diet changes because they tend to go to extremes. If you love pizza, that's fine, but you need to limit the amount you eat. A couple of slices per week isn't going to kill you.

You need to get at least 30 minutes of exercise in as well. Start slow though, you don't want to hurt yourself. When it comes to cardio, heart rate is the key. You want to work up a sweat and have your heart going, but you should still be able to carry on a conversation while doing it. Using the heart rate calculator from Mayo Clinic, a 31 year old should have a heart rate of 132-161. Just gotta remember heart rate is key. You don't have to sprint on a treadmill to get your heart rate up, you can walk at 3 mph at a higher resistance at get the same results. This is especially important to remember when starting out. Don't forget to stretch out before and after too, and always warm up cold muscles before stretching.

Finally, remember it's a process. Not everyone will see immediate results. Find something to motivate you and keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    i would explain it to you but since you replied with a typical "Hip" and edgy answer i won`t bother.
    Google the subject
    I suggest YOU google it because you are in fact wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneth View Post
    Lastly, don't outright deny yourself ALL comfort foods. Again, moderation is where it's at. Far too many people fail their diet changes because they tend to go to extremes. If you love pizza, that's fine, but you need to limit the amount you eat. A couple of slices per week isn't going to kill you.
    From my experience, this is so wrong. Once you're on a good diet and keep going for 2+ weeks, you cravings for pizza/chocolate etc will diminish like hell.
    However if I then eat even a single hamburger, pizza, chocolate bar, I go zerger mode and for 2 days it's real torture not eating "sweets" again.
    I'd say it's easier to stop eating ALL comfort foods when you're losing weight than eating them sometimes. But that's just me, if you can hold for the first 2 weeks it will become easier and easier.

Low carb diet and all that bullcrap is more anoying than it is usefull, just eat a bit below your needs and do cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by Erfan1 View Post
    low carb diet my friend, its all you need

also, using smaller cuttlery helps you enjoy smaller meals longer and gives you a satisfied feeling sooner.
    This. Mindplay is a huge factor. Drink a lot of water to feel full.

Deleted
    The thing is if you are actually gonna get to a healthy weight and stay there you are going to have to live in a way that supports that. Regardless of whether it is in 1 year, 5 years or 20 years.

The way people get unhealthy and healthy is the same (in general and in an otherwise healthy person without diseases that need special attention) in our time as 2000 years ago.

I would say though that if you are wanting to get to a healthy body level, you should try to find out what's causing you to overeat/not exercise? It's not really very hard in a formal sense. Decrease calorie intake, get the foods you need to stay fit and sharp and avoid diseases, have a balanced diet and increase calorie burn. You don't have to become a super-fit guy in 2 years. The thing is just what is going to get you to a healthy level, now that you have the motivation?

If you lose 10 pounds every year f.ex., which is less than 1 pound every month, then in 5 years, you will have lost 50 pounds. In 10 years, 100 pounds. But the problem won't be sticking to some specific number or some specific foods that someone says are wonderful. The problem will be the behavior that causes one to eat when one is full or not exercise even though it would benefit one. I wouldn't expect miracles, but there are probably things you can change. You probably can get to a healthy level for you body and mind-wise if you do the work and I would suggest you to seek someone who you think can help you fix the actual problems behind the overweight or talk to family and friends about your overweight. It's obviously causing you distress and is something you want to change.

There isn't some magic formula. If you have problems controlling your weight, then there are probably some underlying issue. Unless you got heavy out of the blue without noticing it much where it's just a case to slide the eating down and do some exercise, which doesn't sound like your type of issue.

I wish you the best and nothing like this is changed that fast. Health and fortune one really shouldn't expect to change fast, but it can be maneuvered to a better place.

It's not some special food or exercise that you need. It's finding out how to achieve and be at peace at a diet and activity level you can live with and like more than your current one. You can't run 10 marathons and get to a great body level. Nor can you starve for 3 months and get there. If you're thinking food every hour or neglecting exercise or treating your body bad, the actions and following results will be an image of that.

As for any specific suggestions, I don't know.
    Last edited by mmoc859327f960; 2013-02-13 at 06:03 PM.

I used to drink a lot of Coke because it was so yummy, between 0,5L and 1,5L a day. Suddenly, Coke started to taste weird and I stopped drinking it, and now i've apparently lost some weight. I personally don't see it, but ofc nice to hear. I'm not a health maniac (I'm in fact quite the opposite) so I can't really give you that much advise save for cut out fizzy drinks. Eating regularly is seemingly good for you too, but I fail very much at that. Haven't had a proper meal for some 18 hours and now it's take-away pizza soon. I also fucking hate cooking so I hardly have any dinner

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faenskap View Post
    I used to drink a lot of Coke because it was so yummy, between 0,5L and 1,5L a day. Suddenly, Coke started to taste weird and I stopped drinking it, and now i've apparently lost some weight. I personally don't see it, but ofc nice to hear. I'm not a health maniac (I'm in fact quite the opposite) so I can't really give you that much advise save for cut out fizzy drinks. Eating regularly is seemingly good for you too, but I fail very much at that. Haven't had a proper meal for some 18 hours and now it's take-away pizza soon. I also fucking hate cooking so I hardly have any dinner
    Myths myths myths.
    You dont have to eat regularly. And there is nothing wrong with not eating for 18 hours.

Deleted
    10 pushups everytime you lose a match

Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    From my experience, this is so wrong. Once you're on a good diet and keep going for 2+ weeks, you cravings for pizza/chocolate etc will diminish like hell.
    However if I then eat even a single hamburger, pizza, chocolate bar, I go zerger mode and for 2 days it's real torture not eating "sweets" again.
    I'd say it's easier to stop eating ALL comfort foods when you're losing weight than eating them sometimes. But that's just me, if you can hold for the first 2 weeks it will become easier and easier.

Low carb diet and all that bullcrap is more anoying than it is usefull, just eat a bit below your needs and do cardio.
    Well...this is of course subjective, since everyone will be different. I find allowing myself to have 12 oz. of pop like every 2-3 days, or having my one pizza night (just a couple of slices), etc. makes me not crave it. I've done the whole, deny for weeks, and the entire time I would think "man if I could just have one slice of cheese pizza".

I agree on the "diet" thing. Low carb, caveman, atkins, etc... they all have their problems. Keeping away from junk foods, eating healthy portions, and getting the proper amount of calories is far better than anything diets have to offer.

Hell....I've had a ton of friends lose weight by simply taking what they normally eat and literally cutting it in half. They still ate whatever they wanted, but by cutting the portion sizes, they lost weight. If they exercised, they would've even had better results.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    Myths myths myths.
    You dont have to eat regularly. And there is nothing wrong with not eating for 18 hours.
    Its pretty amusing how you claim to know everything and post no kind of reasoning or proof that what you say isnt just wrong.

Eating regulary does have benefits, proven in many studys and is recomended by many nutritionists.