Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    With that little "down time" at the end of the alter time (after ABarr), I usually cast another AB, because, as far as I can tell, when AT procs, you're back at full stacks, so when this AB hits the boss, its considered like a AB casted at 6 stacks.

Isn't this a better option ?

9 times out of 10, I have my 2 AM, Full stack, full procs when NT is going to come down, so I just refresh NT then hit my macro.
    I feel like casting NT while in burst phase is a dps loss, we should just be casting AB/AM and maybe scorch if we are unlucky with procs after AT ended and we still have AP going.
    So for any amount of "dead time", we could either be able to cast an extra AB, or pre-cast a AB for when AT ends. So there is no dead time at all, not one second.

If you refresh NT, the duration adds the current dot (so you're not wasting precious second on your bomb) and you are free to cast our most damaging spells (AB/AM).

My numbers look good too, though i'm undergeared but i'm still ranking every now and then (i'm 490 ilvl :O) so I guess i'm playing my mage at a decent level.

Even though i'm playing as a casual, I like to play my char as close to the best I can achieve, thats why I wonder which option gives the most dps .

Guess I don't know the exact mechanic of how it is calculated, but I guess however many stacks the object has when you finish the cast makes most sense.

Deleted
    Alter time usage only makes up a very small part of our overall dps... As long as you make sure you have atleast 1 Intellect proc from a trinket or weapon Arcane power and 2 AM procs... You should be good (enough) unless you are going into very detailed micro managing...

More haste means you finish your casts just that little bit faster, this means you tend to lose stacks less often and you interupt your casts less often....
    Also for beginner mages they tend to drop in mana more often, in a mastery build that is very painfull... Dropping in mana is a bit less painfull if you have less mastery which again goes to make things a bit easier on the beginner mage.

The fact that healers negate temporal ripples shouldnt affect our descision making. Healers should learn to recognize ripples and evocation (assuming its glyphed) and account for it... How hard is it to add such things to your repetoire as a healer... but yeah same reason most healers hate disc priests, they just fail to recognize Spirit Shell and Power word: Shield.

Greater invisibility is a blessing at Sha, Blade lord (HC)
    Temporal Shields at Garalon, Wind lord
    Nether Tempest at Wind lord is very viable where you can use NT as a filler instead of Scorch... yes it is a bit more costly mana wize it still is much less expesive than AB6. And you can have it up on all adds most of the time instead of LB on only 3. Once full duration of NT is dealing way more damage than any old scorch cast.

Trinkets - Choices of trinkets and tracking trinket procs, for beginner mages.... sure... let them get the basic right first.
    I myself do prefer LotC (HC) over EoT personaly too

Static rotation - A more advanced mage should recognize trinket procs comming up (out of ICD) save up 2 AM procs and release them when the trinkets do proc.

HC Blade lord is possible to refresh your stacks using Arcane Explosion during the "get away" mechanic (aka Blade Tempest)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    With that little "down time" at the end of the alter time (after ABarr), I usually cast another AB, because, as far as I can tell, when AT procs, you're back at full stacks, so when this AB hits the boss, its considered like a AB casted at 6 stacks.

Isn't this a better option ?

9 times out of 10, I have my 2 AM, Full stack, full procs when NT is going to come down, so I just refresh NT then hit my macro.
    I feel like casting NT while in burst phase is a dps loss, we should just be casting AB/AM and maybe scorch if we are unlucky with procs after AT ended and we still have AP going.
    So for any amount of "dead time", we could either be able to cast an extra AB, or pre-cast a AB for when AT ends. So there is no dead time at all, not one second.

If you refresh NT, the duration adds the current dot (so you're not wasting precious second on your bomb) and you are free to cast our most damaging spells (AB/AM).

My numbers look good too, though i'm undergeared but i'm still ranking every now and then (i'm 490 ilvl :O) so I guess i'm playing my mage at a decent level.

Even though i'm playing as a casual, I like to play my char as close to the best I can achieve, thats why I wonder which option gives the most dps .
    It's all determined on your current haste, I currently run with 4770 haste (with Sha Trinket)with Mage Armor. With Raid haste it allows for a Missiles > Blast > Missiles > Barrage. As soon as you add Troll Berserking, or Lust, it allows for an extra Blast. So..once you use Alter Time, and you have Berserking or Lust up, you go Blast > Missiles > Blast > Missiles > Barrage. (latency can screw you), but yeah that barrage immediately lands as the stacks resets. Therefor no down time

P.S. Never use Alter Time without a Trinket Proccd or without 2 Missiles ready for use

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KoolKidKaos View Post
    It's all determined on your current haste, I currently run with 4770 haste (with Sha Trinket)with Mage Armor. With Raid haste it allows for a Missiles > Blast > Missiles > Barrage. As soon as you add Troll Berserking, or Lust, it allows for an extra Blast. So..once you use Alter Time, and you have Berserking or Lust up, you go Blast > Missiles > Blast > Missiles > Barrage. (latency can screw you), but yeah that barrage immediately lands as the stacks resets. Therefor no down time

P.S. Never use Alter Time without a Trinket Proccd or without 2 Missiles ready for use
    9900 haste (full haste + 490 ilvl)

So with lust I can AM / AB / AM / AB / AB / ABarr . (I'd love to be a troll but i'm alliance, so no Berserking for me ) when EoT procs its even more fun :P.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    We don't even know the proper rotation is gonna be when 5.2 hits because arcane has been changed a lot and isnt finished. We don't even know if it'll be haste or mast, or RoP or Invo. It doesnt take days to learn to scorch weave.

So this is a bad advice.
    and telling the person to learn a rotation using a spell they won't have access to aftert he patch hits is better advice? forgive me but what kind of bollox logic is that?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    and telling the person to learn a rotation using a spell they won't have access to aftert he patch hits is better advice? forgive me but what kind of bollox logic is that?
    Do you want him to be able to dps for the next 3 weeks ? (two now). It's not like sworch weaving is hard to learn, just go on a dummy and he should be good to go in a half hour.

Or maybe do you want him to invent a rotation and do shitty dps for weeks, then having to learn another one ? Yeah, that seems like a better solution.