Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Apparently farming is against the rules in wow

So the other day I was farming ore/herbs in valley of the four winds and I was going to mail some mats to an alt but I get abruptly disconnected from the game. I attempt to log in and I get a notice sayng "The Account Has Been Closed" Error. It appears that blizzards poilicy on botting means that anyone who farms for several hours in a day is automatically a bot and gets banned without warning or an attempt to be contacted by a GM. I was told that it was "unfair" to other players to farm in a particular area. Last time I checked you could farm ore/herbs anywhere in Pandaria. I find it sad that blizzard would label me as a botter when I have played this game for 8 years and followed the rules since day 1 and I get instabanned without hesitation because I farm for a few hours. Gold doesn't just pop up out of the ground. If you want to buy an epic that's worth 90k well guess what you better go farm your but off. If they don't want people to farm for hours on end mayby you should just give us everything for free. Save yourself the hassle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly op best thing I can think of is maybe someone got into your account and used a botting program with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not against the rules. Call them. Sometimes stuff triggers a suspension pending investigation. It could be that several people reported you or something like using a tunneling service made them think you were hacked. Call them and get it cleared up; they will reopen your account if nothing is wrong.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    There has to be more to this story. Why would Blizzard ban someone for farming "for a few hours"?

Quote Originally Posted by Rec View Post
    There has to be more to this story. Why would Blizzard ban someone for farming "for a few hours"?
    Because a few hours to him is 36 maybe? I kid I kid.

Stuff like this happens and it's super annoying, but just follow the instructions to appeal and if you really weren't botting it will get over turned in a day or 2. I've had my second account banned a few times and what always triggered it was sending large amounts of gold in the mail from my second account to my main account. Whenever it happens I just submit the appeal form and the ban gets overturned in a day or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcoloco View Post
    So the other day I was farming ore/herbs in valley of the four winds and I was going to mail some mats to an alt but I get abruptly disconnected from the game. I attempt to log in and I get a notice sayng "The Account Has Been Closed" Error. It appears that blizzards poilicy on botting means that anyone who farms for several hours in a day is automatically a bot and gets banned without warning or an attempt to be contacted by a GM. I was told that it was "unfair" to other players to farm in a particular area. Last time I checked you could farm ore/herbs anywhere in Pandaria. I find it sad that blizzard would label me as a botter when I have played this game for 8 years and followed the rules since day 1 and I get instabanned without hesitation because I farm for a few hours. Gold doesn't just pop up out of the ground. If you want to buy an epic that's worth 90k well guess what you better go farm your but off. If they don't want people to farm for hours on end mayby you should just give us everything for free. Save yourself the hassle.
    There have been times when my insomnia kicks in and I spend hours at night doing nothing but flying the same path over and over and over, farming materials.

I have never been warned, infracted, suspended, or banned for farming.

There is definitely something going on here other than simple farming. I suspect some addon or program you were using crossed Blizzard's line on botting, causing them to ban you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moved to General Discussions

other players often treat other people as bots and often say "everyone else besides me is a bot"

Someone reported you because you probably "stole their nodes" before they got there themselves

I had my account perma-banned before for something they thought I was doing, and I was able to get it reversed within a few hours with one phone call. They do make mistakes, if you call them and calmly explain things from your point of view they might be able to reconsider. Just explain what you were doing, and take it from there. Don't be whiny or condescending, just clearly give your side. If you were doing nothing wrong they should be able to recognize what happened, and hopefully you will get your account access back soon.
    Last edited by Norjak; 2013-02-17 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rec View Post
    happened to me awhile ago when i was skinning in tol barad

This happened to me a few days ago as well. I don't really fly around farming stuff at all, but I do have a lot of xmog auctions. Anyway something flagged my account as well and I got banned for "exploiting the economy" which is stupid since I don't have enough auctions to actually do any damage, and I don't make enough money to be suspicious at all.

I just sent in a petition from battle.net and couple hours later I was unbanned. Who knows what "flags" some legit players, but it does happen from time to time.

What a misleading tittle.

You can get unbanned as long as it doesn't appear that you were using a bot or someone hacked your account and did. What probably happened was a lot of people reported you for botting since sitting there for that amount of time farming would seem a little suspicious.

---------- Post added 2013-02-17 at 01:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xigua View Post
    This happened to me a few days ago as well. I don't really fly around farming stuff at all, but I do have a lot of xmog auctions. Anyway something flagged my account as well and I got banned for "exploiting the economy" which is stupid since I don't have enough auctions to actually do any damage, and I don't make enough money to be suspicious at all.

I just sent in a petition from battle.net and couple hours later I was unbanned. Who knows what "flags" some legit players, but it does happen from time to time.
    Wait, I thought that wasn't bannable, I might want to be more careful on what I do. I wouldn't think that's bannable since so many of those mega rich players do it.

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe some butthurt player who likes to farm where you farm reported you as a bot to get you out of their zone :P The WoW community has people petty enough to go that far!

While the part about everyone getting banned for farming for several hours is clearly bs and I am having my doubts on the legitimacy of the story - mistakes can happen so I am pretty sure that you can revert the ban via a phone call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezzina View Post
    Maybe some butthurt player who likes to farm where you farm reported you as a bot to get you out of their zone :P
    A single report sadly enough does basically jack - otherwise there would be a lot less bots on my server.

You didn't got banned by a GM, it was a automated system they got, if you farm and sometimes send all the items through mail it detects you as a bot and you get a automated "BAN" just contact a GM and it should remove you off the ban. Gm's most off times say sorry that it happened, becouse it wasn't intended to ban you. It's just some things they do against botters usallly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shink View Post
    other players often treat other people as bots and often say "everyone else besides me is a bot"

Someone reported you because you probably "stole their nodes" before they got there themselves
    Someone reported him most likely because he was a bot or warden actually catched on to him. It's not "people seeing everyone besides them as a bot" it's the vast majority of farmers as of now being indeed bots. In all honesty most people denying it are often the very same people running bots, we had quite a few on the forums here who started out the same way you did and later admitted to using bots with an "so what?" attidude.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Someone reported him most likely because he was a bot or warden actually catched on to him. It's not "people seeing everyone besides them as a bot" it's the vast majority of farmers as of now being indeed bots. In all honesty most people denying it are often the very same people running bots, we had quite a few on the forums here who started out the same way you did and later admitted to using bots with an "so what?" attidude.
    I wish I was botting when they banned me so I didnt have to mindlessly kill crocolisks for like 2 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Have you met anyone outside your guild?