Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    See, this is highly unrealistic. It works when the average lifespan is around thirty, but I think a lot less drama would occur if people treated marriage less as a lifetime contract than a long-term contract. Like dating for a decade or so, realising you had a good time and have a lot of respect for each other, but want to pursue other options.

Those couples that remain friends after being divorced, I have nothing but respect for.
    well thats why i said intent, it never truly goes this way because there are people who can last long in a marriage, and others not so much. Others do it to cheat the system, others are confused as to why they have to do it, and simply others do it for sake of tradition. i married for love : )

10+ Year Old Account
    Marriage give the women security, they know if you want to leave them they can take half your belongings.

See, this is highly unrealistic. It works when the average lifespan is around thirty, but I think a lot less drama would occur if people treated marriage less as a lifetime contract than a long-term contract. Like dating for a decade or so, realising you had a good time and have a lot of respect for each other, but want to pursue other options.
    You wanna hear a story? My parents met in first grade. They went to 2 schools in the same classes for 12 years. They got married when they were 21. They been married for 26 now. They share a small business and spend 7-10 hours a day at work together. You can't tell me marriage can't last.
    Last edited by Cybran; 2013-02-17 at 11:41 PM.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dydric View Post
    no good reason to get married these days! Can anyone think of a good point of getting married!

1. I get sex on a regular basis.
    2. don't have the annoyance of a woman calling my house all day.
    3. I really don't believe a man should take care of a woman. women should work at all times exactly like a man should, or starve.
    1 - What happens when you are old and ugly and everyone thinks you are a creepy old pervert and wont go near you?
    2 - What happens when you are old and lonely and really want someone to call or drop by your house? (also i dont get what this point even has to do with marriage at all? My wife never calls my house ... the only time she really txts me is if it is something important or if I would like her to bring me lunch)
    3 - I kinda agree here, but then I dont think a man "taking care of a woman" is a marriage either. Its more like slavery.

Overall I don't think any of your three points really relate to marriage. #1 has some relevance though.

The only real reason to get married is if you love the person and want to be with the for the rest of your life. Getting married because you think you should or because you think its time or because you knocked some chick up etc is just plain stupid and a recipe for future unhappiness/divorce.

It'd certainly help if you ever consider raising a child; it's much harder as a single parent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Marriage give the women security, they know if you want to leave them they can take half your belongings.
    Le prenuptial agreement. It's basically like marriage EULA.

---------- Post added 2013-02-17 at 03:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    You wanna hear a story? My parents met in first grade. They went to 2 schools in the same classes for 12 years. They got married when they were 21. They been married for 26 now. They share a small business and spend 7-10 hours a day together. You can't tell me marriage can't last.
    Rare and exceptional. You can cite anecdotes all you want, but the divorce rate begs to differ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Le prenuptial agreement. It's basically like marriage EULA.
    and about as legally binding in some cases. plenty have been challenged and thrown out
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly you should never get married unless you're completely certain that you and your partner are both in it for the long haul because if a marriage goes down hill someone is going to get screwed over and someone is going to end up living off of payments that they should have absolutely no right to.

Get married if you want to get married, don't if you don't. Nothing's for everybody.

Deleted
    Marriage gives everyone security. Children raised by single parents or withour a marriage do worse than traditionally raised kids.
    Care to give some proof for this? I'm mostly referring to the "without a marriage" part of it.

You wanna hear a story? My parents met in first grade. They went to 2 schools in the same classes for 12 years. They got married when they were 21. They been married for 26 now. They share a small business and spend 7-10 hours a day together. You can't tell me marriage can't last.
    Problem is that people rush into getting married. They know each other for 6 months and decide "Hay! Its time". I wouldnt agree to marry anyone unless ive known them 2 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glassmage View Post
    4. Making mistakes resulting in divorce, this one is really a hot button issue for me. Nowadays there's barely any prenuptial agreements if things do go south anyways. Haste makes mistakes in this case in choosing someone, I don't feel like doling out 50% of my stuff to someone that is a leech at best. I doubt even if its legal in most states though.
    The problem with that quote is people give up too easily after one mistake. Whatever happen to the concept, "through better or worse?" People today are too selfish and think about their own happiness. Love never focus on self. Love always focus on others and in the return, your spouse will make you happy. Marriage work two way, not one way.

Rare and exceptional. You can cite anecdotes all you want, but the divorce rate begs to differ.
    No. People are just too lazy to make it work. People give up too easy.

Deleted
    Can't a couple be together without marrying? My friends parents have been together for over 20 years without being married, because they don't think it's necessary for their relationship.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    and about as legally binding in some cases. plenty have been challenged and thrown out
    Only on the principle that you can't contract yourself out of basic rights.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheekin View Post
    There is no reason to get married. It's like nowadays it's only beneficial for women.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    It applies to men too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    1 - What happens when you are old and ugly and everyone thinks you are a creepy old pervert and wont go near you?
    2 - What happens when you are old and lonely and really want someone to call or drop by your house? (also i dont get what this point even has to do with marriage at all? My wife never calls my house ... the only time she really txts me is if it is something important or if I would like her to bring me lunch)
    Well, if a person wants to get married so he/she won't end up alone when he/she is old, then I'm pretty sure you're doing it wrong or it will go wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oskz View Post
    Care to give some proof for this? I'm mostly referring to the "without a marriage" part of it.
    The consensus is that the presence of at least two parental caregivers is optimal, regardless of gender or marital status.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    In some cases. In other cases its simply people who shouldn't have gotten married in the first place. Marriage has no real meaning these days, it used to be a life long commitment, now its just a legal contract that can be broken like any other.

Unless you are gay or christian marriage doesn't really matter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayona View Post
    Problem is that people rush into getting married. They know each other for 6 months and decide "Hay! Its time". I wouldnt agree to marry anyone unless ive known them 2 years.
    I know, right? Marriage is overrated in a lot of places and some people think it's a god like thing that everyone should experience. I mean, I'm not saying it won't be like that for some people and it's very näive to think that if you get married, everything will be okay. Most of the times, it's only worse for some people.
    Indeed.

10+ Year Old Account
    1 Corinthians 7. All the reason needed to either marry or not marry.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8