Thread: WoWDB Feedback

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    We are going to go back and make a pass on adding more information to some other tooltips in the next few months, but we already have done a decent job exposing data in spell tooltips, see Arcane Shock as an example. You can see the damage it does in all different versions of the raids.

What else would you like to see? .
    I would like to see tooltips in other places. I'd like to see items with similar models without having to click on a tab, for example. I'd like to see screenshots in tooltips. Et cetera.

You could implement useful semantics for shift-hover, ctrl-hover, et cetera.

You could also show scaling ubiquitously in a simple if not entirely accurate way, e.g. "scales at 80% of spellpower." It would be nice to know where scaling occurs in old content.
    Last edited by HardCoder; 2013-02-18 at 03:38 AM.

Personally there's nothing wowdb offers that wowhead doesn't have the same or better of. Being an "excellent, 90% complete clone" isn't really going to have people beating a path to your door.
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2013-02-18 at 03:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

that hotfix was my bad Somarlane's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    snip
    Wow, that was quick! Thank you for the feedback on my feedback. (That felt weird to type.) Also, for providing the add-on suggestion - I can't wait to try it out.
    2021-09-21
    23:02 chelly: bobs and virginia

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I want to keep this as short as possible, I had some time to think about it.

Colors: I don't think that other colors than black are bad; in fact, I found out that I like the design of GW2DB more than Guildhead.
    Maybe it's because the colors of that game's layout are lighter by default? Also, both sites have mostly no comments at all.

But back to WoW-DB: As some others mentioned before, it has nothing unique at first sight. That's why I have used Wowhead back then, too.
    Now if you want your product be successful, you can either be cheaper (in this case senseless), be better or be different.

Many users seem to like the modelviewer function. Question is: How is it done? Is the game data somehow converted to a Java viewer? Do they have to do this by hand? If things need to be done by hand, how about making screenshots of items yourself? Yes, it's a lot of work, could be a fulltime-job, but maybe it's worth it?

Another thing: I never used such programms, but don't both sites require clients, that collect and submit data in the background? If there is such a client, which is probably communicating with an ingame AddOn, wouldn't it be possible to write comments about NPCs, items etc. INGAME? And while we're at it, wouldn't it be possible then to read comments while playing, too?

Just some ideas...
    Last edited by Rhywolver; 2013-02-18 at 12:48 PM.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    One of the main reasons I don't like adding to wowdb is because it requires a curse account. If it was connected to this account here on MMO-Champion I'd be more than happy to add a comment to something when I click the link from the news page. Instead I have to register/login just to do so.

I'm sure if you made the comments on wowdb count toward 'post count' here on MMO-Champion you'd get hundreds of comments in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by carebear View Post
    One of the main reasons I don't like adding to wowdb is because it requires a curse account. If it was connected to this account here on MMO-Champion I'd be more than happy to add a comment to something when I click the link from the news page. Instead I have to register/login just to do so.

I'm sure if you made the comments on wowdb count toward 'post count' here on MMO-Champion you'd get hundreds of comments in no time.
    If anything, it might eventually go the other way, with MMOC accounts being merged in to Curse accounts. Not sure if we could merge the counts, but that is likely a long time off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhywolver View Post
    Another thing: I never used such programms, but don't both sites require clients, that collect and submit data in the background? If there is such a client, which is probably communicating with an ingame AddOn, wouldn't it be possible to write comments about NPCs, items etc. INGAME? And while we're at it, wouldn't it be possible then to read comments while playing, too?

Just some ideas...
    That is something we thought about doing, at least for adding/reading comments. Downside there is the lack of formatting controls / making it too easy to post useless comments. We will investigate adding this in the future though.
    Last edited by chaud; 2013-02-18 at 04:50 PM.

I don't really understand the purpose of WoWDB. You took something that already existed with no obvious flaws (at least none that you improved on) and made a weaker clone of it. The only "flaw" I can think of as the reason for its creation is that wowhead is not affiliated with curse.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be nice to have more screenshots...when i go on wowhead type hogger click npcs then hogger i get a picture of hogger when i do the same on wowdb i don't

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot View Post
    I don't really understand the purpose of WoWDB. You took something that already existed with no obvious flaws (at least none that you improved on) and made a weaker clone of it. The only "flaw" I can think of as the reason for its creation is that wowhead is not affiliated with curse.
    First off: See Tsiva's post earlier in the topic.

Wowhead's java is a nightmare. And you can thank WoWDB for pushing Wowhead to include boss drop and location in the item tooltip.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaley View Post
    Edit2: ptr.wowdb.com exists, but there is no link on the main page to go to it. You just have to be "in the know" to get to it. Wowhead links you directly to it on the top left of the screen.
    Just FYI:

Link in the upper right corner of every page.
    I actually brought this matter up in an earlier feedback to WoWDB:
    On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:57 PM, Alayea *snip* wrote:
    Dear WOWDB,

I've noticed that the main webpage itself for the site doesn't offer a quick link to go back and forth between live data and the PTR like its other webpages do. The same applies if you are viewing the PTR version of the main webpage. (It'd be nice also if the "View LIVE/PTR" button was more prominent.)

As things stand, I personally find it more quick to just manually input the URL (with auto-complete) ahead of time.
    Thanks for your feedback Alayea, I added this to our todo list although I am not sure when it will be done.

=)
    Last edited by Alayea; 2013-02-18 at 05:47 PM.
    Alayea - Enhance/Resto (Main) Lithala - BM Gekkani - Holy/Shadow
    Mathrie - Fury/Prot Mayae - Resto/Bal Elita - Frost/Blood
    Chrystie - Frost Draika - Combat Ioreth - Ret/Prot
    Vexbolt - Destruction Yin - WW/MW Yolis
    Urwenn

Quote Originally Posted by Alayea View Post
    First off: See Tsiva's post earlier in the topic.

Wowhead's java is a nightmare. And you can thank WoWDB for pushing Wowhead to include boss drop and location in the item tooltip.
    It makes sense to support the news as wowhead does do pretty miserably on abilities' damage numbers, but since most people will get those numbers from a strategy guide and not a database, it probably won't be a big draw for users. I guess I don't see the need to transition from a support system to a standalone system without some feature that will actually draw users to wowdb. It might be helpful if in addition to feedback on wowdb, they sought feedback on what's wrong with wowhead that they can improve on.

It makes sense to support the news as wowhead does do pretty miserably on abilities' damage numbers, but since most people will get those numbers from a strategy guide and not a database, it probably won't be a big draw for users. I guess I don't see the need to transition from a support system to a standalone system without some feature that will actually draw users to wowdb. It might be helpful if in addition to feedback on wowdb, they sought feedback on what's wrong with wowhead that they can improve on.
    Even of Wowdb's damage numbers look better, that's not enough to make me go to an inferior database. Wowdb gives 25% of the information Wowhead does, if that, and even then, there's no community to interact with, so if you have any questions you're going to have to go to another site anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    I actually brought this matter up in an earlier feedback to WoWDB:
    On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:57 PM, Alayea *snip* wrote:
    Dear WOWDB,

I've noticed that the main webpage itself for the site doesn't offer a quick link to go back and forth between live data and the PTR like its other webpages do. The same applies if you are viewing the PTR version of the main webpage. (It'd be nice also if the "View LIVE/PTR" button was more prominent.)

As things stand, I personally find it more quick to just manually input the URL (with auto-complete) ahead of time.
    Thanks for your feedback Alayea, I added this to our todo list although I am not sure when it will be done.

=)
    Yes, this change was a great one. However, I'd love a banner like that on the main page (www.wowdb.com) to switch to the PTR quickly. Currently, I have to search for something, then hit the banner, then click back on the WowDB logo to get to the main PTR page.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SherbertLand View Post
    Even of Wowdb's damage numbers look better, that's not enough to make me go to an inferior database. Wowdb gives 25% of the information Wowhead does, if that, and even then, there's no community to interact with, so if you have any questions you're going to have to go to another site anyway.
    Wowhead was a newbie once, don't forget that. Also, a data (item/spell, etc.) page is not really the place to be asking questions - pretty annoying with all that stuff that basically amounts to spam on their pages. The place to go for questions is the forums, which MMO-C has an abundance of.

If anything, it might eventually go the other way, with MMOC accounts being merged in to Curse accounts. Not sure if we could merge the counts, but that is likely a long time off.
    If it ever was to happen, I'd insist on being able to dump my Curse name and keep this one. Just FYI.
    Last edited by Alayea; 2013-02-18 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Added quote and reply.
    Alayea - Enhance/Resto (Main) Lithala - BM Gekkani - Holy/Shadow
    Mathrie - Fury/Prot Mayae - Resto/Bal Elita - Frost/Blood
    Chrystie - Frost Draika - Combat Ioreth - Ret/Prot
    Vexbolt - Destruction Yin - WW/MW Yolis
    Urwenn

Also, a data (item/spell, etc.) page is not really the place to be asking questions - pretty annoying with all that stuff that basically amounts to spam on their pages. The place to go for questions is the forums, which MMO-C has an abundance of.
    Asking pointless questions will just get your comment deleted when we notice it.

If it ever was to happen, I'd insist on being able to dump my Curse name and keep this one.
    We can issue username changes for people that want to change, can give you one on WoWDB if you want.

Wowhead was a newbie once, don't forget that. Also, a data (item/spell, etc.) page is not really the place to be asking questions - pretty annoying with all that stuff that basically amounts to spam on their pages. The place to go for questions is the forums, which MMO-C has an abundance of.

If it ever was to happen, I'd insist on being able to dump my Curse name and keep this one. Just FYI.
    I was just leaving feedback, sorry.

forums forums forums. wowheads forums is FULL of "3l1t3 name of dk" bla bla bla. no REAL info on em. id like to see a place "not just mmo-champ" where you can have a good discussion without people starting to act like 10 year olds who hasnt chaned their diapers in 2 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

I have to disagree. I think that Wowhead comments is awesome. Usually people asking dumb questions (or any question really) get downvoted to the bottom while the helpful comments that are answering common questions get voted up to the top.

I think what SherbertLand was saying was that he goes to Wowhead with questions and gets the answer from the comments section, not that he goes and makes a comment when he has a question.

Honestly, the comments section of Wowhead is probably what I use the most.

On my Curse client it says I have never uploaded any data. Is there a way to force the client to upload data to the website?

Deleted
    + Tooltips on spell are >>far<< better on wowdb. If you want to see the scaling of a spell, is the way to go

- View in 3D
    - Comments, of course.
    - Can you order items with a score created with a stat weight you introduced? I haven't seen the option on wowdb, and is something I use every patch on wowhead, and keep it as favorite through it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to disagree. I think that Wowhead comments is awesome. Usually people asking dumb questions (or any question really) get downvoted to the bottom while the helpful comments that are answering common questions get voted up to the top.

I think what SherbertLand was saying was that he goes to Wowhead with questions and gets the answer from the comments section, not that he goes and makes a comment when he has a question.

Honestly, the comments section of Wowhead is probably what I use the most.
    Oh that's absolutely true; I'm sure most of us use wowhead for the comments.

I think what is trying to be expressed is that wowhead also has a lot of useless comments: people asking silly questions or making inane comments. On some items, it can be overwhelming because you have one good comment and eleventy million bad ones; quantity of comments is not what is desired, it's quality.

Wowdb doesn't have as many comments for sure, and that's something that those of us contributing are trying to resolve, because it is a major issue in its utility. But the goal with wowdb is to make sure every comment is useful, not necessarily that there are a lot. For example, someone mentioned earlier they looked up something and while wowhead had a dozen comments, wowdb only had one. As long as that one comment provides all the necessary information, why does it matter if wowhead had a bunch more? A lot of those comments on wowhead probably didn't add any new information, were asking dumb questions or making silly comments. Wowhead, as far as I know, doesn't moderate their comments. Wowdb is, so that means probably less comments - but hopefully still eventually can meet the goal of still having helpful comments on every page that needs 'em.

But yeah no one is disputing that comments are super super important. Unfortunately, wowdb can't get those if people don't bother making them!

Quote Originally Posted by Anias View Post
    On my Curse client it says I have never uploaded any data. Is there a way to force the client to upload data to the website?
    Silly question but do you have the wowdb profiler installed? Do you have the box checked on your curse client? If you have both these things done, it should automatically upload your data any time you close your game client.

Apparently it works on the PTR too, but I'm lazy and have never tried.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2013-02-18 at 08:25 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |