Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iWolfBanei View Post
    Triple DPS is never really viable at higher ratings, but at lower ratings where people don't really know how to react there is a lot of trip dps comps that could work.

Generally casters don't do well in triple DPS because of ramp up time or cast bars. For this reason, Spriest won't work (even though the healing capabilities are good, it would just get trained and die to 2 dps in <10 seconds). Boomkin is a good point to raise though, because HotW offhealing is still extremely strong, they have vortex+beam which could lock out a healer completely even if they trinket a stun and they have no ramp up time with their one shot macro because it forces them into an eclipse at the press of a button.

The problem with Moonkin is once the oneshot macro has gone off, it won't be doing any damage really... and will still die very easily to 2 dps.

All in all, melee triple DPS works a lot better than caster trip DPS. The best triple DPS comp will still probably be Rogue/Hunter/Ret, and even that won't be viable really. All 3 classes will have better comps they could play.
    NEVER?!?! scumbag cleave was very popular 2.2k + last season, granted they hard countered many lock comps but they will still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    NEVER?!?! scumbag cleave was very popular 2.2k + last season, granted they hard countered many lock comps but they will still there.
    Last season is pretty much the only season where triple DPS has viable for the entire season. It beat Lock/Shaman/X and lost to everything else. I don't see that happening again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    The only reason scumbag cleave was good was because it countered rls and did well against most other ls comps, however, it wasn't really a glad worthy comp. Sure you could beat those 1.5k rls teams sitting at 2.2k, but that was about it.

And really, triple dps is frowned upon since s9, it's just stupid and everyone will hate you for playing it.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    need a rouge for smokebomb imo
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

I've played a fair share of games with triple dps just for lols this season and i can confirm you this: Triple dps viability will not return anytime soon.

Reason 1: No more RLS and shadowplay. Triple dps comp countered these comps very well because they lacked proper peels and burst in cata. Shaman would still be a good kill target for 3 dps but it seems resto druids and holy paladins are all over the place currently. KFC and Godcomp counter 3 dps very hard. There is no real reason to presume that RLS will be top comp next season. Most likely it's KFC and Godcomp again.

Reason 2: Peels. If someone hasn't already noticed, the amount of peels hunters, warriors, mages and shadow priests can do in MoP is insane. If they go full peel mode, it's impossible to kill anyone.

Reason 3: Burst in arenas. Most teams outside 3 dps were not about burst in season 11. 3 dps along with other ret cleaves like vanguards cleave were. They could easily force cooldown and get kills while ret was able to heal trough the damage. Now you get gibbed in the first warbringer stun, stampede zergs the shit out of you in seconds, feral spams ravage and drops one of the 3 in matter of seconds and Fire mage blows you up in 2 globals.

Reason 4: Ret is not what it used to be. Ret lost sacred shield, last word and WoG heals for only a bit more now than it did in cata when we had 1/3 of the health. Sacred shield absorb with the increased healing bonus combined with almost 100% crit made ret survive better. Now ret can't survive long enough anymore for the team to outlast anyone. Bubble is our only real def cd now and every team has a warrior or a shadow priest and they'll take out bubble in seconds and boom the game ends faster than it begins. Ret offheals are also nowhere near the effectiveness of cata. Selfless healer stacks to 3 in 16-18 seconds with good uptime and 1 flash of light heals your mate for about 50-60% of his health with crit, half of that noncrit. WoG in cata was available every 5 seconds and healed for 70-80% of someones health with cds and almost always crit for low health targets.

Reason 5: Healers got more cds and cc. Holy paladin now has double HoP and HoS combined with blinding light and repentance. Druids got symbiosis which adds ridiculous stuff like ice block, intimidating shout, dispersion etc to ferals and resto. Everyone also has instant cyclone now, typhoon to knock you down in 50% of the maps and new cc tier full of instant cc. Displacer beast is a life saver and ironbark is just another def cd, tree form got buffed to godmode. Shamans gained ascendance, healing tide was buffed, they got a new aoe stun totem(overall still the only real kill choise healer atm). Disc priests are rare in arenas and haven't had a chance to play against any of them.

Many of you forget that this game as evolved too much for something like triple dps to be fully viable. At least ret/rogue/x comps won't do it anymore. It's not only about ret and rogue being weak atm, it's about some comps having so much offensive and defensive power and noone except shamans and dks being free kills anymore.
    Last edited by Johnmatrix; 2013-02-18 at 06:14 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnmatrix View Post
    I've played a fair share of games with triple dps just for lols this season and i can confirm you this: Triple dps viability will not return anytime soon.

Reason 1: No more RLS and shadowplay. Triple dps comp countered these comps very well because they lacked proper peels and burst in cata. Shaman would still be a good kill target for 3 dps but it seems resto druids and holy paladins are all over the place currently. KFC and Godcomp counter 3 dps very hard. There is no real reason to presume that RLS will be top comp next season. Most likely it's KFC and Godcomp again.

Reason 2: Peels. If someone hasn't already noticed, the amount of peels hunters, warriors, mages and shadow priests can do in MoP is insane. If they go full peel mode, it's impossible to kill anyone.

Reason 3: Burst in arenas. Most teams outside 3 dps were not about burst in season 11. 3 dps along with other ret cleaves like vanguards cleave were. They could easily force cooldown and get kills while ret was able to heal trough the damage. Now you get gibbed in the first warbringer stun, stampede zergs the shit out of you in seconds, feral spams ravage and drops one of the 3 in matter of seconds and Fire mage blows you up in 2 globals.

Reason 4: Ret is not what it used to be. Ret lost sacred shield, last word and WoG heals for only a bit more now than it did in cata when we had 1/3 of the health. Sacred shield absorb with the increased healing bonus combined with almost 100% crit made ret survive better. Now ret can't survive long enough anymore for the team to outlast anyone. Bubble is our only real def cd now and every team has a warrior or a shadow priest and they'll take out bubble in seconds and boom the game ends faster than it begins. Ret offheals are also nowhere near the effectiveness of cata. Selfless healer stacks to 3 in 16-18 seconds with good uptime and 1 flash of light heals your mate for about 50-60% of his health with crit, half of that noncrit. WoG in cata was available every 5 seconds and healed for 70-80% of someones health with cds and almost always crit for low health targets.

Reason 5: Healers got more cds and cc. Holy paladin now has double HoP and HoS combined with blinding light and repentance. Druids got symbiosis which adds ridiculous stuff like ice block, intimidating shout, dispersion etc to ferals and resto. Everyone also has instant cyclone now, typhoon to knock you down in 50% of the maps and new cc tier full of instant cc. Displacer beast is a life saver and ironbark is just another def cd, tree form got buffed to godmode. Shamans gained ascendance, healing tide was buffed, they got a new aoe stun totem(overall still the only real kill choise healer atm). Disc priests are rare in arenas and haven't had a chance to play against any of them.

Many of you forget that this game as evolved too much for something like triple dps to be fully viable. At least ret/rogue/x comps won't do it anymore. It's not only about ret and rogue being weak atm, it's about some comps having so much offensive and defensive power and noone except shamans and dks being free kills anymore.
    Ret/Rogue/Hunter will do fine in 5.2

Quote Originally Posted by saltyharbls View Post
    Ret/Rogue/Hunter will do fine in 5.2
    I'm glad you know how to read

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnmatrix View Post
    I'm glad you know how to read
    You too, mate!

Triple dips opens... Eats a Aoe fear entire team trinkets into a ring of frost. Triple dps fails.

Shaman + Ret + Mage

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakamuraa View Post
    Triple dips opens... Eats a Aoe fear entire team trinkets into a ring of frost. Triple dps fails.
    This. You're just going to get aoe feared/blinded into another aoe cc and then 1-2 of you will be stuck in CC chains until 1 of you is dead, then game over.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakamuraa View Post
    AoE CC existed in cata too. How come triple dps teams still broke 2.2k+ ? Not saying that triple dps is going to be seen alot on rank1.
    Just sayin it will be viable for more than capping conquest like some people here doesnt seem to think.

The question is; How does one define viable? Does viable mean getting 2200? Gladiator? Rank 1?

Before discussing something we should first define the issue we are discussing in the first place.

TLDR; Will triple dps be 2200/gladiator-viable in 5.2? Yes. Will it be rank1-viable? I really doubt it.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    AoE CC existed in cata too. How come triple dps teams still broke 2.2k+ ? Not saying that triple dps is going to be seen alot on rank1.
    Just sayin it will be viable for more than capping conquest like some people here doesnt seem to think.

The question is; How does one define viable? Does viable mean getting 2200? Gladiator? Rank 1?

Before discussing something we should first define the issue we are discussing in the first place.

TLDR; Will triple dps be 2200/gladiator-viable in 5.2? Yes. Will it be rank1-viable? I really doubt it.
    But Hpals, one of the most common healers, didn't have two BoPs. Two Sacs. Two extra CC's. And none of the hybrids have that good of offhealing anymore like Ret did in Cata.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    But Hpals, one of the most common healers, didn't have two BoPs. Two Sacs. Two extra CC's. And none of the hybrids have that good of offhealing anymore like Ret did in Cata.
    We will just have to see how it will turn out in the end. Im positive triple dps will be 2200-viable for sure.
    No point in arguing about it since it cant be settled until 5.2 has been live for a few weeks anyways

The difference now is everyone has crazy defenses triple dps raped rls due to the fact that in cata sap sham kill lock in opener or other way around sap lock destroy shammy. They almost have to go for the Healer now due to defenses and with as good as rogues are in 5.2 and locks being able to dot everyone instantly I just don't see it being as viable as it sw to be.

As someone else stated the classes that could run triple dps will have better options with other comps.

I wonder if we should start redefining "viable"? In the past 2200 was a good cutoff because that was where the elite weapons came in. Then came RBG and that has basically stopped being a valid indicator anymore. There are so few teams doing arena right now, and even fewer at high ratings. Also, because of the RBG plague it feels like what was once 2200 rating is now closer to 1800-1900. There seems to have been a natural push downward as PvP has lost most of the scrubs and shed a lot of the player base due to one thing or another.

I honestly would love to see Blizzard's numbers on rankings per season, I would wager that every season the average rating drops.

Anyway, I think if a team can get to the 2k range now it is viable because of the amount of good and geared players in the 1700-1900 range.

We will just have to see how it will turn out in the end. Im positive triple dps will be 2200-viable for sure.
    No point in arguing about it since it cant be settled until 5.2 has been live for a few weeks anyways
    Your problem is that you are trying to reason triple dps viability to yourself by reading the patch notes and checking who and what are getting buffed, when instead you could read my post again and understand it this time

Playing dpriest last season ~ 1950 mmr, trip dps was everywhere, and it sucked. I would get killed through PS and Barrier in the opener, sometimes it being unavoidable. I hope it does not return.

However, with burst even higher, I imagine it will be back. Johnmatrix, part of the problem is that trip dps goes unpeelable for a length of time. Rets often use bubble in opener, rogues use cloak, hunters will BW, dk's will IBF, all will trinket the first thing that hits them. I dont know what monks have for cc breakers, but if they have anything effective, add ROP to the equation and its going to suck playing against monk triple dps teams.

Triple DPS will hit priests just as hard as before, and will hit shamans even harder, as they cant link in silences. Paladins with bubble and druids with blink/treeform will probably not be in nearly as much trouble, however.

I don't know why this is even up for discussion still.

The only reason triple DPS may be good in 5.2 is because of people who aren't that great at Arena not understanding how to peel.

Triple DPS at 800 rating = Extremely viable
    Triple DPS at 1500 rating = Pretty viable
    Triple DPS at 1850 rating = Okay
    Triple DPS at 2000 rating = Bad
    Triple DPS at 2200 rating = Awful
    Triple DPS at 2400 rating = Non-existant

There is better comps to play. Every class will have a comp that is better for reaching higher rating, so why nerf themselves and play a completely scum comp? The only reason people would play trip dps is at <1500 rating is to cap conquest, and even then it'd probably be better off just making the ret go holy.

Quote Originally Posted by asb View Post
    Rets are definitely weak on their defenses, but again I think it's more of a comparative thing. Honestly rogues, enhance, windwalkers, and dks have pretty terrible defenses too, so I might be inclined to think it's just warriors and ferals setting the bar too high for anything else to measure up. It doesn't help rets out that spriests are so amazing right now either, since they can just negate your one real defense.
    I'm kind-of tired of this perpetual myth that DKs have "terrible defenses." They absolutely do not, and you'll find that out in 5.2.