Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Doing both,but addicted to none OP.Made lots of friends in wow,that's not bad,smoking on the other hand is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    They saw his new statue and thought "Oh well, a king clever enough to waste money on a statue while half his city is burning is worthy of our support! More beer please!"

Quote Originally Posted by Xaru View Post
    They're both about equally addicting.

This is a serious question. It's like this game is impossible to quit forever. I haven't played in nearly a year and I still want to play the game every time I think about it. I don't have time for it, I don't even like it when I'm playing it, but I still want to. Exactly like cigarettes. So which one's worse? The one that kills you or the one that kills your social life and productivity?
    obviously cigarettes....i'm not sure if you thought this through, but cigs actually destroy your lungs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I don't think World of Warcraft quite counts as a genuine addiction. There is no physical dependence on the game. While people can, and have, ruined relationships over it, I think it's less to do with WoW and more to do with someone unable to prioritize their time correctly.
    Addiction is far from limited to physical dependence.

OnT: WoW.

Smoking - Makes you smell and kills you.

WoW - Teaches teawmwork, working for a reward, encourages creativity on rp servers, teaches you to think on your feet in PVP...

10+ Year Old Account
    People have quit WoW, people have quit smoking. Neither is impossible, you need something to fill the void with otherwise you're sitting around picking your butt when you'd normally be playing.

As someone said, smoking is in default bad for you, WoW can be good for you since you can escape reality and get rid of stress to have some fun with friends in a place where it doesn't matter what you do. WoW is only bad if you let it be bad for you. Smoking is obviously worse.

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Smoking - Makes you smell and kills you.

WoW - Teaches teawmwork, working for a reward, encourages creativity on rp servers, teaches you to think on your feet in PVP...
    Both can make you smell and kill you, people have gone WEEKS without bathing to play a wows new expansion, and days without eating/drinking and have had deaths, just recently people who spent to much time playing D3 have died from not looking after themselves.

To much of ANYTHING is bad for you, and can kill you.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cigarette.html

is interesting if true.

10+ Year Old Account

This is a serious question. It's like this game is impossible to quit forever. I haven't played in nearly a year and I still want to play the game every time I think about it. I don't have time for it, I don't even like it when I'm playing it, but I still want to. Exactly like cigarettes. So which one's worse? The one that kills you or the one that kills your social life and productivity?
    L2 prioritize.
    WoW doesn't kill social life nor productivity.

It's a hobby like any other.

Smoking on the other hand harms not only you but persons around you. So Smoking is worse by a huge margin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alucardtnuoc View Post
    Both can make you smell and kill you, people have gone WEEKS without bathing to play a wows new expansion, and days without eating/drinking and have had deaths, just recently people who spent to much time playing D3 have died from not looking after themselves.

To much of ANYTHING is bad for you, and can kill you.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cigarette.html

is interesting if true.
    No, smoking WILL make you smell and eventually kill you. WoW doesn't make you any of them, you choose not to bathe or eat/drink.

Somehow I need figure out how to no longer be annoyed by anti-smoking propaganda, especially when people truly believe the numbers and information they have been spoon fed by companies paid millions of dollars to slander tobacco as much as possible. I'm not saying it's as healthy as an early morning run... but it also isn't nearly as bad as some information claims. Like saying eating subway makes you thin, when it doesn't if you eat outside of their portions. Or saying eating McDonalds makes you fat, when it doesn't if you eat in moderation. Smoking isn't great for you, but in moderation you aren't going to turn into the walking tar block that people who smoke 3 packs a day for 50 years turn into. In reality moderated smoking and healthy living can have you even healthier than a non-smoking couch potato when you hit your late life. But statistics are there to be manipulated by the people who can make the most profit off it.

Back on topic, I would rather smoke than play WoW. As for which is worse for you? It depends entirely on the circumstances. 1-2 cigs a day is going to harm your body less than sitting around for 8+ hours a day playing WoW. I can attest personally to this as I went from being unemployed and wasting all my time on WoW without smoking, to smoking while playing WoW, to Smoking while not playing WoW and working 40+ hours a week and working out 3+ times a week. I'm in far better health than I was in both stage 1 and 2, and I smoke about thrice as much as when I first started (which still only amounts to around 5 cigs a day, or about 1/5th a pack).

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cigarettes definitely

I actually find this topic a bit silly... After all I don't think WoW is the cause of death in every 1 in 5 people in the U.S. and 5 million people annually.
    Man, I've got bags under my eyes... BAGS OF MONEY!
    See ya later, peasants.

Praise The Sun!

You play wow for 1 hour a day for 30 years, nothing of it. No different than a tv or browsing forums.

You smoke for 1 hour a day (counting all smoking time from one day with multiple breaks) for 30 years...well, they have case studies of that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

Both aren't very good but the on that can cause seriously health issues wins.

Yeah man when I don't play WoW for a few days I go through serious withdrawal. No wait that only happens with an actual legitimate addiction. I can't believe it took like six posts for someone to point out that the OP is wrong.

Now I'd love to see some actual proof that WoW can be physically addictive to more than just a few odd cases (if even that!)

10+ Year Old Account
    I've yet to hear of WoW giving people cases of Lung Cancer, or requiring a hole to be put in their throat...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

If it's killing your social life and productivity that's entirely on you and I find it really hard to believe you can't walk away from it if you don't like playing it. Also WoW doesn't cause lung cancer or emphysema...

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's killing your social life and productivity that's entirely on you and I find it really hard to believe you can't walk away from it if you don't like playing it.
    Many people use WoW as a scapegoat, so they don't have to admit the fact that they are incapable of balancing pleasurable activities and workload within the given timeframe.

While addictions to non-substances do exist they make up a small portion of addictive behavior. Cigarettes are worse for you by far. Playing WoW has some positive aspects, smoking doesn't. Addiction to non-substances revolves around malfunctioning brain chemistry that provides too much reward and impairs the ability to choose. This happens with substances too, they're just the direct catalyst for biological malfunction.

Most people that say they are "addicted" to WoW don't understand the clinical designation of addiction and are just using the term colloquially.

Cigs are worse by far, unless you have had some serious (and I mean serious) consequences due to playing wow.

You can trust me, I'm a psychologist

10+ Year Old Account
    Cigs are worse by far, unless you have had some serious (and I mean serious) consequences due to playing wow.

Failed all exams in semester 2 and 3 due to excessive play (among other reasons).
    Consequence: My studies took 6 instead of 4 years.

Do I blame WoW? No. I blame myself, for not being able to handle it.

And no... Me not trust psychologists... they are mean. Make you tell all your secrets and them post on facebook and laugh while drinking beer!

*realigns tinfoil hat*

Quote Originally Posted by Beenie View Post
    While addictions to non-substances do exist they make up a small portion of addictive behavior. Cigarettes are worse for you by far. Playing WoW has some positive aspects, smoking doesn't.

If you were really a psychologist you would know that smoking actually does have some positive aspects, especially since those positive aspects are primarily centered around the mental state. (PS: I'm talking about the effect of nicotine on the body, specifically blood vessels, among other things dealing specifically with smoking and not just nicotine.)

People need to see the difference between '' smoking kills'' and '' smoking can kill ''

There are enough ''healthy'' 80 year olds who have been smoking for 50 years and still live.
    And if you want to cut on 90 % of the killing factor , take up Vaping ( or like beginners call it , e-cigs ).

Anyway anything apart from sleeping, eating , drinking and oxygen is just added extra's in life.