Poll: How do you prefer new races?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Prefer New Races Neutral or Faction aligned?

In future expansions would you like more pandaren style races or more races aligned with each faction?
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on how they handle it.

While we've yet to see the full realization of the Pandaren, I think it will be a missed opportunity if the don't delve into the actual "civil war" that one would think would happen with the Pandaren, between the Tushui and Huojin. This is world of warcraft, with the main conflict being the Horde versus Alliance... Neutral races should speak to that, in that some dividing factor drives them to fight (something which we've yet to really see from the Pandaren)

That being said, Blizzard hasn't greatly capitalized on the importance of their newly introduced, single faction races either outside of their own starting zones.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

We have enough races. Putting my chips on Blood Elves and Draenei becoming neutral races.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    We have enough races. Putting my chips on Blood Elves and Draenei becoming neutral races.
    After the thing with Dalaran and the Sunreavers?

After the orcs making a -highway- out of bones from draenei?

Not likely, and not a story decision that'd make sense either.
    Twas brillig

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind seeing one of each added.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I don't mind neutral races if they have more faction distinctions between them than the Panderan. Even if its just separate hairstyles or something. I don't believe in fully abandoning the silhouette system.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post

In all fairness, High Elves and Blood Elves are the same race, no? So it wouldn't be a matter of Blood Elves going neutral, just more like Quel'dorei being on both sides.

P.S. - What on earth is your new avatar a pic of?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    While we've yet to see the full realization of the Pandaren, I think it will be a missed opportunity if the don't delve into the actual "civil war" that one would think would happen with the Pandaren, between the Tushui and Huojin. This is world of warcraft, with the main conflict being the Horde versus Alliance... Neutral races should speak to that, in that some dividing factor drives them to fight (something which we've yet to really see from the Pandaren)
    Civil war between the Tushui and the Huojin wouldn't make a lick of sense. The only reason they fight each other at all is because they aligned themselves with opposing factions.

Besides, it would set a poor precedent in an expansion that is essentially about why war is bad for Azeroth.

15+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the race. If Drakanoids for example were added, I think neutral would fit best as you represent one of the Dragonflights (or all depending on story structure).

I'd prefer Ogres for Horde and something for Alliance (High Elves or something new) next expac though.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    It depends on how they handle it.

That being said, Blizzard hasn't greatly capitalized on the importance of their newly introduced, single faction races either outside of their own starting zones.
    Why would there be a Civil War between the Pandaren? The Tushui and Huojin "factions" are merely schools of thought among the Pandaren. More importantly, they're schools of thought among the Pandaren of the Wandering Isle. Tushui and Huojin as factions don't exist on Pandaria.

Besides, Ji's TOTALLY got the hots for Asuya. If they do anything with the factions, it'll be a Starcrossed Lovers story that ends with one (or both) of the Horde / Alliance Pandaren "leaders" dead.

Assuming the next expansion is "oh no teh burning leejuns is back";

The Draenei are fully aware that the Orcs didn't make the decision to exterminate the Draenei under their own power. The Draenei have bigger goals than beating up the Horde; they want to beat up the Legion, and if they think the Horde has a better chance to do that, they'll jump ship.

The Blood Elves aren't really big fans of the Horde, either. If they can get some kind of assurance that Jaina and the Silver Covenant won't throw tantrums, some of them probably wouldn't be too averse to jumping ship. They're ultimately a very nationalist state, and whichever will get them the most independence, they'll do.

Neither race needs an ultimate change in philosophy to allow the factional divide. The Tushui and Huojin pandaren are miniscule portions of the Pandaren race, even among the Wandering Isle.

The narrative's ultimately malleable.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Broken for the horde and high elves for the alliance?

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    I don't mind neutral races if they have more faction distinctions between them than the Panderan. Even if its just separate hairstyles or something. I don't believe in fully abandoning the silhouette system.

In all fairness, High Elves and Blood Elves are the same race, no? So it wouldn't be a matter of Blood Elves going neutral, just more like Quel'dorei being on both sides.

P.S. - What on earth is your new avatar a pic of?

1. Saying High elves and blood elves are the same race is kind of like saying Chinese and Japanese people are the same...

2. We REALLY don't need more elves, we have two elf races already and they outnumber pretty much every other race.

http://lackadaisy.foxprints.com/comic.php?comicid=131

---------- Post added 2013-02-18 at 09:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Assuming the next expansion is "oh no teh burning leejuns is back";

The Draenei are fully aware that the Orcs didn't make the decision to exterminate the Draenei under their own power. The Draenei have bigger goals than beating up the Horde; they want to beat up the Legion, and if they think the Horde has a better chance to do that, they'll jump ship.

The Blood Elves aren't really big fans of the Horde, either. If they can get some kind of assurance that Jaina and the Silver Covenant won't throw tantrums, some of them probably wouldn't be too averse to jumping ship. They're ultimately a very nationalist state, and whichever will get them the most independence, they'll do.

Neither race needs an ultimate change in philosophy to allow the factional divide. The Tushui and Huojin pandaren are miniscule portions of the Pandaren race, even among the Wandering Isle.

The narrative's ultimately malleable.
    The question though is whether that's a good idea, and if the narrative might not be better served keeping them to their own factions.
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Civil war between the Tushui and the Huojin wouldn't make a lick of sense. The only reason they fight each other at all is because they aligned themselves with opposing factions.

Besides, it would set a poor precedent in an expansion that is essentially about why war is bad for Azeroth.
    Also, the Tushui and Houjin schools of thought for Pandaren were conceived from the people living on the turtle. They took followers, left the turtle, and have gone their separate ways to the Allis and Horde. There would certainly be rivalries, but an all out civil war I would doubt. It would make more sense if a civil war broke out if the Pandaren we play were from Pandaria to begin with.

I like the neutral thing for the pandas, but I don't want every new race from now on to be like that. For instance, Alli ogres, while I'm sure are possible, would not be anything that makes sense from a lore standpoint at all. Maybe Bill the Ogre decides he likes humans and helps them but not an entire sect of them unless they go rogue and turn their backs on the Horde. Which would be both weird and unfitting for the Alliance, imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd prefer whatever makes the most sense for the race. If it makes sense for them to lean Alliance or Horde, then they should be Alliance or Horde. If they have no vested interest (or even any interest at all) in the faction conflict, like the pandaren, they should go through their starting zones unaffiliated, be introduced to both factions, and let the player choose whose ideals resonate with them the most.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    OTHER

Just redo the current models already, FFS!It would go much father than a new race, imo.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

1. Saying High elves and blood elves are the same race is kind of like saying Chinese and Japanese people are the same...
    If both came from the same country, spoke the same language etc. etc. Japanese and Chinese are far more different than High and Blood Elves.
    The split is only about a decade old by now.

Probably more like N Korea and S Korea.

IMO, just make Pandaren a neutral race (they were a lot better off before having to choose sides) and subtract 1 each from the Horde and Alliance: Belfs for Horde since they were just about ready to leave anyways (and still are looking for any chance out), and...eh Draenei for the Alliance (oddly that's both TBC races), no one ever liked the space goats and they can focus on the upcoming war with the Burning Legion better without being weighed down by any weird obligations being allied with someone. Just give neutral the ability to walk freely in either territory, but as a result, say they're limited only to the neutral AH (or else pay a lot stiffer fees to do auctions) and can't earn rep or something with side specific factions or something, but they can raid or queue for BGs with either side they want. Maybe even throw in Ethreals as another neutral faction in the next expansion to sweeten the deal so then you have a more even number (5 Horde/Alliance, 4 Neutral) also.

Though I will caveat, for any current players already aligned since that would be a sweeping change, give them a one-time choice to leave or stay, so you could still see some belfs horde aligned and others not.

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    I'd prefer whatever makes the most sense for the race. If it makes sense for them to lean Alliance or Horde, then they should be Alliance or Horde. If they have no vested interest (or even any interest at all) in the faction conflict, like the pandaren, they should go through their starting zones unaffiliated, be introduced to both factions, and let the player choose whose ideals resonate with them the most.
    One might argue that the Pandaren, as they were originally conceived, fit very well in Thrall's horde, or the alliance, but had no business joining Garrosh's horde.
    Twas brillig

tbh I think the faction crap has run its course.

We REALLY don't need more elves, we have two elf races already and they outnumber pretty much every other race.
    Nah, humans are still a far larger portion of the population than either elf. According to realmpop.com humans are at 16.9%, Blood Elves 14.6% and Night Elves 11.7% for a range of 80-90 playerbase on US servers