Picking a second class to dabble with in 5.2 and beyond

Hey guys!

I've played a rogue since late vanilla/early tbc, and I'll continue playing it in the coming patch. Through ups and downs its still one of the playstyles I enjoy the most (lots of control, on-demand damage). I feel best when I'm gouging, shiv'ing, blinding, garrotting etc, more so than when I'm just tunneling damage into something and hoping its unhealable.

I've played almost all the other classes casually, and have most at 90 or 85 already. Now I'm looking for advice and thoughts on what to pick up as my second PvP class in the coming patch. With the changes to gearing etc. I think I can now maintain 2 characters and play them at a decent level.

I've REALLY enjoyed playing a resto shaman in previous expansions. I think it's an excellent class, and it combines big heals, lots of utility and good mobility. I've tried to be a good disc priest, but I just do not enjoy the playstyle. One slow on me and I feel like all I can do is juke or die. I happily admit to being a less than optimal disc priest. I haven't played druids of any spec since Wotlk, where I mainly raided as resto. I'm taking a good look at feral now (and yes I've seen the nerfs incoming - justified ones imo), it looks quite fun to play, and the damage is through the roof when CDs are up. I quite like the bleeds, but without the cyclones everywhere I'm thinking it might bring too little utility to the table. Thoughts on this? Warrior is not my cup of tea in PvP, too tunnely. I loved cataclysm marksmanship hunters, but now that it's BM or gtfo they don't interest me as much. Every expansion since TBC I've tried my best to gear and play a warlock in pvp, but the LOLONESHOT by every melee in the game has ruined it for me every time. Thoughts on warlocks now? Are they fun to play if you just suck up the ugly gearing process? Monk doesn't really appeal to me, though the Windwalker changes look kinda cool. I've been hit hella hard by some monks this patch Paladin is mostly out the window, I think. Played one during cataclysm raiding, don't want to go there again. Mage isn't quite my thing, don't think I want to go there.

Presumably this rant has given you some sort of idea of what kind of player I am, and what I enjoy, and hopefully you can share some of your own thoughts and experiences. Mind you, this is ONLY for PvP. No PvE considerations at all.

My own thoughts:
    Safe choice: Resto shaman, will probably have fun
    Frustrating but maybe hugely rewarding choice: Warlock, will probably hate the BG grinding to get geared in start of season
    Runner up: Feral durid, rawr mangle rip ravage

Halp!

Votes so far:
    Resto shaman: 3
    Windwalker: 1
    Last edited by Viridis; 2013-02-19 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Updating votes

I think any DPS can learn something from being a healer, whether it's in PvE or PvP. Resto Shaman also aren't getting changed much and are already great in PvP, so I'd say go with that.

15+ Year Old Account
    I played rogue in all expansions plus Vanilla too, but sadly Blizzard has changed the Rogue too much. I cannot even identify it anymore with the class it used to be.

Such a shame. I'm leveling a Paladin atm though

Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post
    I played rogue in all expansions plus Vanilla too, but sadly Blizzard has changed the Rogue too much. I cannot even identify it anymore with the class it used to be.

Go rogue and shaman next patch then - If you said you've previously enjoyed playing shaman then it seems the obvious choice.

I too feel like I'm going to pick up a second class. First one will be my UH DK which I've played throughout this patch and the second is either warlock or mage... Can't decide which yet although I'm pushing slightly more towards the mage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivva View Post
    Go rogue and shaman next patch then - If you said you've previously enjoyed playing shaman then it seems the obvious choice.

I too feel like I'm going to pick up a second class. First one will be my UH DK which I've played throughout this patch and the second is either warlock or mage... Can't decide which yet although I'm pushing slightly more towards the mage.
    I do not complain over the rogue because it feels weak. Which it imo does anyways.

I complain over the boring rotation Blizzard forces us to. Have only tried Combat though since I got tired of Assasin and Sub spec, after you are forced to use daggers instead of whateveryoulike in Sub.

Combat is just about popping CDs and smash shit, and stay afk for 5 min OR a free honor kill. Which doesn't seem fun to me.

After this, I leveled my Hunter from 65 to 90. Got honor capped with this fellow, and then starting a Paladin, which I hopefully will enjoy at 90.

10+ Year Old Account
    MW monk. I'm having a lot of fun with it at the PTR, and their also look very strong in 5.2.
    Also, I've always played resto druid and boomkin, and the playstyle = AMAZING. One of the things I really HATE about this game is being snared and rooted ALL THE TIME because blizzard decided to give every class passive snares etc, and being a druid saves me from these problems.

---------- Post added 2013-02-19 at 10:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post

Lolled@this. For how many years havent rogues whined about "no changes, staying the same every patch/expension". And when some changes come you whine about it?

I'd recommend downloading PTR and having some fun with classes at 90.

WW is actually really good fun, and is pretty similar to Rogue.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machomaije View Post
    MW monk. I'm having a lot of fun with it at the PTR, and their also look very strong in 5.2.
    Also, I've always played resto druid and boomkin, and the playstyle = AMAZING. One of the things I really HATE about this game is being snared and rooted ALL THE TIME because blizzard decided to give every class passive snares etc, and being a druid saves me from these problems.

---------- Post added 2013-02-19 at 10:16 AM ----------

Lolled@this. For how many years havent rogues whined about "no changes, staying the same every patch/expension". And when some changes come you whine about it?
    I wasn't one of them.

And just because they do some serious changes, like forces us to use daggers only, and make some shit ass rotation, doesn't automatically make it super awesome fun.

It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind on resto shaman :P That's actually the only healer I haven't leveled to 90 and pvpd with this expansion, but out of the other four healers I'd recommend a mistweaver hands down. Out of those 4 healers I'll probably only be doing the mistweaver and priest as holy or disc in 5.2. The only non-hybrid I've played is my hunter and that's a really fun class imo(as survival, fk bm).

10+ Year Old Account
    If you've never played a healer it will do wonders for your perspective. Go resto shaman.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

I think I'll actually go on the PTR and play around with a Windwalker a bit. They look quite strong, but I loathe the thought of having to level from 1 again.. :P Oh well, can't have everything :P

No votes for warlocks? Why not?

Deleted
    For everyone making these threads and everyone wondering what to play ETC ETC ETC!
    1. Go to battle.net
    2.Download the PTR client.
    3. Instal the PTr client.
    4. Logg in.
    5. Make a premade char you think you will like / love
    6. Buy full tyricanial and enjoy testing it!

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No one can tell you what YOU would have fun playing. ^^^ Go on the PTR and mess around.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Deleted
    Well, warlocks have gotten some huge survivability buffs in MoP, though they still fall over quickly to some physical burst.
    I am SO pleased with the three warlock specs, as they are quite unique in their playstyle, and all seems to be viable for PvP.

My own main is Boomkin, and that's all about burst atm. You really can't do anything after your burst, unless you have a partner who got some good conistent damage. I would still recommend trying them out.
    But if you like the control game more, I would either go with a lock or a feral Druid.

Shaman recently got their totems buffed up Personally I'd go lock or shaman, although my WW monk is shaping up nicely come 5.2