Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

The Finnish CIAPC pirated Pirate Bay's property?

So The Pirate Bay accuses that the Finnish CIAPC has illegally copied files from The Pirate Bay website to make their own parody site. I've never liked the Finnish CIAPC too much, but this is just too much. If the CIAPC really did copy The Pirate Bay I hope that there will be consequences for the CIAPC's actions.

You can compare this yourself:
    The Pirate Bay
    Finnish CIAPC's website

Here is the full press release from The Pirate Bay (source)

tl;dr We filed a police report against the finnish IFPI. Because we enjoy being a pain in the ass of the copyright lobby. And because we think a certain 9 year old girl should have her computer back.

PRESS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Pirate Bay, the world’s largest site for cultural diversity and file sharing,
    has today (Monday 2013-02-18) reported a suspected crime to the Finnish police.
    The suspected criminals are the Finnish anti-piracy organization CIAPC
    (locally known as TTVK).

The reason is that CIAPC have copied files from which The Pirate Bay is built,
    to produce a fraudulent parody site.

While The Pirate Bay may have a positive view on copying, it will not stand by
    and watch copyright enforcing organizations disrespect copyright.

- It's funny that we have to teach the copyright lobby the meaning of the law.
    The fact that they wrote it doesn’t mean that they are above it, says Winston Bay.

CIAPC is not new to balancing on the edge of what's right and wrong. Last year,
    they initiated a police raid against a 9 year old girl and confiscated her
    Winnie the Pooh laptop.

- CIAPC is like an ugly high school bully without friends. It's time to take a stand.
    Cyber bullying is a serious matter to us all, Winston Bay continues.

The money that CIAPC might have to pay for this crime will however not end up at The Pirate Bay.

- Our hearts are with the victimized 9 year old Finnish girl. Any money that might come
    out of this will fund a new computer for the girl.

Facts:
    The Pirate Bay is the world’s largest file sharing site.
    It ranks as the world’s 58th largest site.
    Since its launch in 2003, it has maintained a strong stance for internet freedom and
    against censorship.
    It is run by dozens of individuals from all around the world, all with the same values
    of liberty, kopimi and progressiveness.
    Last edited by sykke; 2013-02-19 at 03:50 PM.

While The Pirate Bay may have a positive view on copying, it will not stand by and watch copyright enforcing organizations disrespect copyright.
    Oh look at the hypocrites whine.

Deleted
    Great!

Either TPB wins and they'll get payed or TPB loses and CIAPC will go out and say that filesharing is perfectly fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    agreed.... hypocrites at work..
    Besides, I don't know how much infringement exists. Would have to check the source code more thoroughly.

Technically The Pirate Bay only host files, they don't actually infringe on any copyrights themselves. There is no "hypocrisy" here.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Technically The Pirate Bay only host files, they don't actually infringe on any copyrights themselves. There is no "hypocrisy" here.
    And yet in many jurisdictions possession of stolen property is a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    It is hypocrisy. Just because they don't host the stolen files themselves doesn't mean it isn't hypocritical for them to go after other pirates. They are "The Pirate Bay", they are clearly pro-piracy. Saying that it's not would be like saying somebody who manufacturers gun barrels (who provides them to a large gun sales company) calling out somebody who sells guns that they don't provide the barrel for as immoral for selling guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    And yet in many jurisdictions possession of stolen property is a crime.
    Not possession of stolen property at all. A torrent file is not stolen property. This is like possessing a key that would open a lockbox where the key is yours to distribute but the lockbox contains property that isn't yours. Well, not very much so but much more apt than comparing it to possession of stolen property.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Not possession of stolen property at all. A torrent file is not stolen property. This is like possessing a key that would open a lockbox where the key is yours to distribute but the lockbox contains property that isn't yours. Well, not very much so but much more apt than comparing it to possession of stolen property.
    Depends on the licensing agreement on the software.

Depends on the licensing agreement on the software.
    It doesn't at all. You are not in possession of the software by possessing a torrent file. Once you use the torrent file to connect to peers to download the software you are.

irony. sweet, delicious irony
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

It doesn't at all. You are not in possession of the software by possessing a torrent file.
    Okay, so not possession; but there's such a thing called aiding and abetting.

Okay, so not possession; but there's such a thing called aiding and abetting.
    Not really disputing that, just want to be clear on what TBP actually does.

Funny stuff.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well that was a pretty stupid move on behalf of the CIAPC; regardless of the outcome, this can only be beneficial to The Pirate Bay and negative for the CIAPC.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like how they take the stance of leading cultural diversity promoter. I guess it is true to an extent, not the extent that they would like.

Personally, I love the site. Primarily because of the TV episodes. I did not use the site much at all when I had access to on demand and a DVR. Some people also depend on the site to be able to watch American TV shows and movies because they are not available in their area.

I think that they are just using this as a publicity stunt.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    To everyone saying hypocrisy: No shit.

Its pretty obvious they're being as intentionally ironic as they possibly can. That's kind of what TPB does.

Deleted
    This is stupid to say. Pirate Bay gets pulled to court for violating copyrights all the time, so why can CIAPC suddenly do it without breaking the law?
    The law is the law regardless of who commits the crime. CIAPC should be sued and pay a fine, period.

Let's put it another way. From Pirate Bay perspective it's kinda hypocritical, because they say they don't give a damn about copyrights.
    From CIAPC it's hypocritical as well, since they are against copying yet now they're doing it themselves.

But from the law's perspective... they should get sued. Nothing more, nothing less.

You clearly must not know a troll when you see one.

TPB (which I visit daily) said themselves they are doing it purely to be a pain in the ass, but to show how a copyright organization blatantly infringes on someones copyrighted work.

That my friend, is hypocritical.
    Last edited by alturic; 2013-02-19 at 06:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is hypocrisy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    agreed.... hypocrites at work..
    You people didn't even read the press release did you?

"tl;dr We filed a police report against the finnish IFPI. Because we enjoy being a pain in the ass of the copyright lobby. And because we think a certain 9 year old girl should have her computer back."

They are obviously being ironic on purpose. This is how the IFPI wants it to be, obviously. TPB is just giving them what they asked for.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    You people didn't even read the press release did you?

"tl;dr We filed a police report against the finnish IFPI. Because we enjoy being a pain in the ass of the copyright lobby. And because we think a certain 9 year old girl should have her computer back."

They are obviously being ironic on purpose. This is how the IFPI wants it to be, obviously. TPB is just giving them what they asked for.
    I don't know what or why the IFPI would want/expect TPB to simply let it go. There must have been an amazing moment when they decided to do it, without realizing the potential bad press it could cause a copyright organization infringing on the same thing they fight for.