Windows 8 Graphics Card Issues

Hi,

Yesterday I was updating my Laptop/drivers and so on, but after coming home today several issues seem to have cropped up. I loaded the WoW launcher only to find it telling my that my Graphics card was out of date (the only one it showed being the crappy Intel one as opposed to the Nvidia one), and after trying with little avail to find/detect the graphics card, there doesn't seem to be any sign of it software-wise (the hardware/actual graphics card still in the laptop and untouched since I bought it).

Is there a way to get the laptop to detect the graphics card or a solution in general? tl;dr The Nvidia graphics card has disappeared off the face of the earth.

Did you update the nvidia card drivers?
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have any unidentified hardware in the device manager? (In Win8 just type device manager while at the start screen, then click Settings on the right side Search bar)

Have you tried downloading the Nvidia driver directly from them? http://www.geforce.com/drivers And could the driver install not find it?
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Did you update the nvidia card drivers?
    I updated them yesterday. Nvidia's automatic driver detection on the link Korgoth gave me does not seem to find any Nvidia products which is strange.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    I updated them yesterday. Nvidia's automatic driver detection on the link Korgoth gave me does not seem to find any Nvidia products which is strange.
    Download the driver anyway and run it, the website detection might be not work if you don't already have an Nvidia driver installed.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

The driver/card is a Nvidia GeForce GT 650M, yet when I search for it on Nvidia's Driver Downloads section, all I get as a result is "GEFORCE R313 DRIVER FOR CRYSIS 3".

The driver/card is a Nvidia GeForce GT 650M, yet when I search for it on Nvidia's Driver Downloads section, all I get as a result is "GEFORCE R313 DRIVER FOR CRYSIS 3".
    Check the supported products tab

Other then that check or reset the bios and make sure the 650M is enabled. (Depending on who made the laptop, they sometimes offer diagnostic tools as well, something that could tell you if the 650M is working or not)
    Last edited by Amorac; 2013-02-19 at 10:19 PM.
    ~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~

Quote Originally Posted by Amorac View Post
    Check the supported products tab
    Seems to support my graphics card, thanks. Downloading now and hoping for the best.

---------- Post added 2013-02-19 at 10:20 PM ----------

Update: Seems to have failed, apparently "The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware", which I find quite odd.

Update: Seems to have failed, apparently "The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware", which I find quite odd.
    See my edit :-p

I'm unfamiliar at how the 650M sits inside laptops. Perhaps it's on a "daughterboard" plugged onto the mother board or its on a mini PCI-E connector. Perhaps it got lose somehow (tho it could easily be soldered onto the mainboard, or should be kept in place by the cooler/heatsink).

What model laptop is it?

See for instance this mac http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06...rietary-parts/ and http://content.hwigroup.net/images/p...ook_17cl45.jpg + http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l8...501_163030.jpg for how it could look in a Windows based laptop

*note that opening a laptop might void the warranty.
    Last edited by Amorac; 2013-02-19 at 10:31 PM.
    ~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~

Tried a windows option which the second time around seemed to detect/install the drivers. Going to see if it's worked.

This may seem stupid and backwards but try to go to the laptop manufacturer's page and download the NVIDIA driver from there and then try to update it from the Geforce.com website.

Sorted now, completely uninstalled and then reinstalled again.

Whether it was Windows 8's fault or not, I would not advise it regardless. Keep your Windows 7 discs folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorted now, completely uninstalled and then reinstalled again.

Whether it was Windows 8's fault or not, I would not advise it regardless. Keep your Windows 7 discs folks.
    If you are looking for something to blame it should be the switchable graphics as they have caused many problems for laptop users on both win 7 and 8.