10+ Year Old Account

Looking for tips on Shipping a PC

A family member recently took a job overseas and I need to ship to him his Desktop. I built it, and I have the box and packaging it's case came in to use to ship it. I am currently wondering if I should remove the graphics card and ship it outside the case. Any tips?
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    depends what kind of parts are in there usually heatsinks/heavy gpu's are advised to be removed from the rig unless the gpu is secured via additional backplate/reinforcement bracket of some sort.
    original box should help allot aswell ^^

I don't think the graphics card has enough inertia to justify removing. Only thing I would really worry about is if you have a large after market CPU cooler that could break loose and rape the motherboard.

With that said I'd just pack it in plenty of large bubble wrap and custom make a box from either a slip sheet or boxes you get from dumpster diving.

If there's a fabric store near by, the cardboard found in the center of bolts of fabric are great for protecting corners/edges.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttfear View Post
    I don't think the graphics card has enough inertia to justify removing. Only thing I would really worry about is if you have a large after market CPU cooler that could break loose and rape the motherboard.

With that said I'd just pack it in plenty of large bubble wrap and custom make a box from either a slip sheet or boxes you get from dumpster diving.

If there's a fabric store near by, the cardboard found in the center of bolts of fabric are great for protecting corners/edges.
    I have the box from the case, including the shaped styrofoam blocks to hold it in and protect it. Which I am then putting inside a larger Amazon box and filling that with those air pockets.

The GPU is a 660ti, so its not very big or heavy, and I have an old pci card protector i can use on it, so I think ill leave that in. The CPU fan is a Corsair A50, its pretty big, but its got a good bracket.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    I have the box from the case, including the shaped styrofoam blocks to hold it in and protect it. Which I am then putting inside a larger Amazon box and filling that with those air pockets.
    If those are the same air pockets I get when buying from Amazon, then they are not designed for a heavy computer. The box and foam blocks that came with the case aren't designed to handle the extra weight of a fully loaded computer.

I would wedge a small piece of foam or similar material in-between the CPU cooler and side to ensure it was stable. Put the PC in the original box the case came in then wrap that box in 2-3in of large bubble wrap. Once secured in bubble wrap tightly fit an outer box(no peanuts or other crap) and call it a day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright thx.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pack the inside so that the heatsink and GPU can't move around. No matter how sturdy you think they are, it's still possible to bend them
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    Pack the inside so that the heatsink and GPU can't move around. No matter how sturdy you think they are, it's still possible to bend them
    Have to agree here. It's not just about the absorption you put between the case and the box, it's also about packing the inside. Standard Styrofoam should work, just make sure he blows all the crap out when it gets there, lol.

No matter what you do, it's luck of the draw going overseas. So many hands touching it, the only reliable thing you can do to "secure" it is to insure it for the full amount.