Deleted

Question Valor points use 5.2

Hello i've been thinking alot if i should spend my valor points on upgradeing my gear to get it better for 5.2
    But maybe i should save it for buying items in 5.2?

What is you guys opinion on this? Some feedback please

P.S Not sure if this is the right forum to post it on, move it if not please

Best Regards
    NexxtaR

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    3k valor will almost buy you a neck from neutral rep from the raid and friendly yields rings and bracers which anyone should have day 1 by killing the first boss. If you're going to end up capping before patch and have a few days then I would upgrade so you don't waste em, but yea.

Planning on neck and ring, don't know further ahead than that.

edit: actually not sure on what to pick up. To the sims!
    Last edited by Meleti; 2013-02-20 at 12:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd only update things that are very important to your performance and which you probably won't replace quickly in 5.2.

For example, as a hunter I've got the normal mode weapon off Will. Even though I have the gem for the sha-touched weapon, I don't have the gun off Lei Shi and if I get it it will be the LFR version (we're way behind in raiding this tier). So, I spent 1500VP to move the 489 bow to a 497 bow. Why? Because weapons affect my DPS a lot and I can't upgrade AFTER 5.2. However, I won't spend 750 VP to upgrade, say, my shoulders since the stat gain from that is likely less than the new neck or ring.

Stood in the Fire eldritchforeshadow's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What about upgrading trinkets?

Generally speaking, purchasing a 522 valor item is more cost effective than upgrading current gear.

However, without being able to tell the future, you're stuck with a judgment call.

It appears that first thing you'll be able to buy the neck (1250 valor), even if you don't go in a normal raid (or kill a boss). The following week, the first wing will be available on the LFR, which should get you up to friendly and open up 3 more purchase options (4250 valor total). So, realistically, assuming you get the rep available each week (at least through LFR if nothing else), you probably won't get valor capped with nothing to buy. The exception would be if you get a normal or better drop(s) from the raid for a slot that the valor gear covers.

I'll probably buy one more upgrade (which will mean going into 5.2 with 2500 or 2750 for me, I can't remember) so I don't hit the valor cap. I'll probably upgrade a piece with higher itemization that none of the early ToT bosses drop a replacement for.

Wowupgrade.com does a good job of helping you quantify the relative value of upgrading different pieces. However, to compare the value of an upgrade to the value of acquiring a new 522 piece, you'd have to consider the stat change from swapping out said piece. Also, factor in how much valor you're spending for each increase; a 1250 neck that gives a slightly lower increase than a 2/2 valor upgrade is more bang for your buck (by slightly lower I mean less than ~17% shy of the 2/2 upgrade since the cost is ~17% less).

One other advantage to the valor upgrade that is going away in 5.2 is that, hypothetically, if you upgrade a piece before 5.2 and it doesn't get replaced until after you have nothing to spend valor on (other than blood spirits or whatever), then it was arguably worth it, but you can't foresee which drops you will/won't get.

If you're upgrading normal stuff just to use up valor, then don't even bother, IMO. Even 'meh' itemized 522 stuff is going to be superior to upgraded normal stuff in pretty much every scenario.

I'm personally going in with 3k, no matter what drops for me before 5.2 hits. Honestly the only things worth upgrading at this point are heroic sha-touched weapons, which should be better than the new normal mode weapons for every/just about every class.

Myself I'm going for the neck and ring if I can get to friendly the first week and I"m going from there. When you factor in most people won't want the gloves/chests or w/e are in there due to tier being better, there really isn't *that* much you can even buy with VP. Of course no one can predict what's going to drop for you the first week, if anything, so it could be an hour into 5.2 raids you get an upgrade or it could be several weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    If you're upgrading normal stuff just to use up valor, then don't even bother, IMO. Even 'meh' itemized 522 stuff is going to be superior to upgraded normal stuff in pretty much every scenario.

I'm personally going in with 3k, no matter what drops for me before 5.2 hits. Honestly the only things worth upgrading at this point are heroic sha-touched weapons, which should be better than the new normal mode weapons for every/just about every class.

Myself I'm going for the neck and ring if I can get to friendly the first week and I"m going from there. When you factor in most people won't want the gloves/chests or w/e are in there due to tier being better, there really isn't *that* much you can even buy with VP. Of course no one can predict what's going to drop for you the first week, if anything, so it could be an hour into 5.2 raids you get an upgrade or it could be several weeks.
    5.2 won't be out for another 2 weeks at least, but after that if you want to be safe after you are at the cap just upgrade one item a week rather than just not spending it. Would work out better in the end. When 5.2 hits, buy the 522 neutral neck for 1250 vp which is way more ilvls than you'd get from upgrading at the cost of lower vp. Then after you kill one boss you should get friendly (according to some blizzard person's tweet, i forgot who) so even if you don't raid the first week and wait for LFR you'd gain 90 vp from LFR and have 160 points to cap (total of 2840/3000). At that point you'd be able to purchase friendly rep items. Unless if you have a very bad trinket I'd try to min/max and get as much as you can from that week. Me personally I'm going to get the ring because it's pre H bis and the bracers because it has good stats and are almost as good as the pre H bis ones. You'd get the most out of your vp that way imo.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    Of course you then have to account for drop chance and how fast you'll gain rep. You certainly want enough VP to buy the neutral neck and probably the friendly ring. But I upgraded my 489 Fang Kung bow because who knows if I'll get anything out of 5.2 LFR? I've run LFR for 2 months on my hunter and never saw the bow or gun drop... if I had a run of luck like that in ToT LFR and didn't have my 489 upgraded to a 497 I could end up using a less powerful weapon for weeks.

However, I'm not upgrading minor pieces - those don't give me enough bang for the buck to matter in the next 2 or 3 resets of T14. Again, my philosophy is a) go into 5.2 with as close to 3k as I can get, b) upgrade my weapon since it's key to my performance AND since I can't upgrade post 5.2. Now, I might go into ToT and get a weapon straight off... but I might not. At the end of the day, it's a calculated risk. It's also just a game, so... eh.

The ring and neck are, what, 3k VP (1250+1750)? So I'll have that easily and had I saved the 1500 VP I'd have been over cap before the patch. There's no point to that and so I spent the VP on an upgrade.
    Last edited by clevin; 2013-02-19 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Of course you then have to account for drop chance and how fast you'll gain rep. You certainly want enough VP to buy the neutral neck and probably the friendly ring. But I upgraded my 489 Fang Kung bow because who knows if I'll get anything out of 5.2 LFR? I've run LFR for 2 months on my hunter and never saw the bow or gun drop... if I had a run of luck like that in ToT LFR and didn't have my 489 upgraded to a 497....

However, I'm not upgrading minor pieces - those don't give me enough bang for the buck to matter in the next 2 or 3 resets of T14.

The ring and neck are, what, 3k VP (1250+1750)? So I'll have that without having saved the reset of my VP and there's no point in hoarding more than 3k since... welll... you can't
    Rings and necks are both 1250 vp each. So if you go in with 3k valor you can buy 2 more items the week.

3000(current VP) -1250(neck) +1000(weekly VP) -1250(ring) - 1250(bracers) = 250 VP. That's the most efficient way of doing it imo.

---------- Post added 2013-02-19 at 11:55 PM ----------

Conversely if you want to buy the trinket:

3000 (current vp) - 1250 (neck) - 1750 (trinket) + 1000 (weekly VP) = 1000

You'd get more out of the first week which is what really matters imo.

Looking at how many weeks it takes to get the last friendly item(s):

If you went with neck + ring + bracers

You'd need to wait 2 weeks to get the trinket.

If you went with neck + trinket

You'd need to wait 2 weeks to get the ring and bracers.

Now unless if you have an absolutely terrible trinket, you'd most likely get more out of going neck + ring + bracers the first week over neck + trinket the first week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that makes sense. So to recap, if I were the OP I'd only upgrade an item where the upgrade is likely to make as much or more difference as one of the early VP items. I also took into account that you can't upgrade items post 5.2 and that my guild isn't cutting edge at all so I don't need to maximize my week 1 performance.

Yeah that makes sense. So to recap, if I were the OP I'd only upgrade an item where the upgrade is likely to make as much or more difference as one of the early VP items. I also took into account that you can't upgrade items post 5.2 and that my guild isn't cutting edge at all so I don't need to maximize my week 1 performance.
    Yeah upgrade items you'll be least likely to replace while still maintaining 3k VP going into 5.2.

and that my guild isn't cutting edge at all so I don't need to maximize my week 1 performance.
    Now that's not a good attitude, is it? Just because his guild may not be pushing content as fast as other guilds doesn't mean he shouldn't care about his performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehstool View Post
    Now that's not a good attitude, is it? Just because his guild may not be pushing content as fast as other guilds doesn't mean he shouldn't care about his performance.
    MY guild... not his. We're not, as a raid, quite geared for ToT normal week 1 and we're certainly not pushing server first etc so it doesn't matter to me if I optimize my week 1 performance. The order of buying things isn't going to affect me much whereas I can see a top guild really crunching the numbers to figure out the right order to buy things in, etc. But for me, I'kll have the first 2-3 items plus (hopefully) some LFR loot before we start raiding ToT normal. Right now the raid is all in 48x gear and while that doesn't suck for a raid that just started up 2 weeks ago, it means we'll have a bit of catchup to do to get everyone to ~496+ so we can credibly hit up ToT Normal.

The other reason I upgraded Fang Kung is that it helps now as we're trying to catch up a bit and gives me the best possible weapon I can get (since we're not going to hit normal Lei Shi before 5.2) and IMO a 497 Fang Kung is as good as, perhaps better than the 483 LFR gun upgraded to 491 and with the 500 agi gem. Right now I have, I think, about 850 VP. If we have at least 2 weeks I'll hit 2850. Three weeks and I can cap 3k and slack a bit
    Last edited by clevin; 2013-02-20 at 12:38 AM.

MY guild... not his. We're not, as a raid, quite geared for ToT normal week 1 and we're certainly not pushing server first etc so it doesn't matter to me if I optimize my week 1 performance. The order of buying things isn't going to affect me much whereas I can see a top guild really crunching the numbers to figure out the right order to buy things in, etc. But for me, I'kll have the first 2-3 items plus (hopefully) some LFR loot before we start raiding ToT normal. Right now the raid is all in 48x gear and while that doesn't suck for a raid that just started up 2 weeks ago, it means we'll have a bit of catchup to do to get everyone to ~496+ so we can credibly hit up ToT Normal.

The other reason I upgraded Fang Kung is that it helps now as we're trying to catch up a bit and gives me the best possible weapon I can get (since we're not going to hit normal Lei Shi before 5.2) and IMO a 497 Fang Kung is as good as, perhaps better than the 483 LFR gun upgraded to 491 and with the 500 agi gem. Right now I have, I think, about 850 VP. If we have at least 2 weeks I'll hit 2850. Three weeks and I can cap 3k and slack a bit
    Either way I think you should do what I outlined above. Neck + Ring + Bracers.

IMO, your best bet is to upgrade as much as you can on the items you see you might not be getting in next tier. Here is an E.G

Lei shen drops X item, you need that item and ONLY that item (In that slot. shield etc etc) Upgrade your current item so there is no way of replacing it until you kill him and it drops. This way it isn't really a waste and in terms of Usage of valor is actually a safer way. God help you if you buy the neck from rep and one drops the same raid.