Poll: Chain combo attacks possible in WoW??

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Could chaining combo attacks work in WoW?

When Blizzard announced the Monk class and stated that weapons would be used as finishing moves, I was very excited. I figured that we would finally have a class where you could string active abilities into combo sequences and devastating finishing moves like the Monk classes in RO.

Alas, it didn't come to pass. So I'm wondering if it's possible to have a chain-combo system in WoW.

Again for reference, check out the Monks in Ragnorok Online.

I don't see why not. Age of Conan has combo based combat system and hotkey MMO.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

It would be possible, but it would be similar to how mortal strike enables overpower. Unless there's a major engine overhaul at least.

Street Fighter MMORPG! Can you imagine everyone just hurricane kicking and tuna boating all over the place. This sounds like an awesome game.

I've been saying they need to do this with rogues (specifically combat) for a long time now.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish the people saying no would speak up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    Street Fighter MMORPG! Can you imagine everyone just hurricane kicking and tuna boating all over the place. This sounds like an awesome game.
    Hahaha... Yes i can, it would be ossum!!!
    Not everyone is going to be an expert theorycrafter or mathematics expert, but also be honest about the fact that linking to someone else’s work doesn’t necessarily turn you into one either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Something like the Bard or Warden from LotRO could work.

But it'd be a very complex class and thereby full of bads.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    When Blizzard announced the Monk class and stated that weapons would be used as finishing moves, I was very excited. I figured that we would finally have a class where you could string active abilities into combo sequences and devastating finishing moves like the Monk classes in RO.

Alas, it didn't come to pass. So I'm wondering if it's possible to have a chain-combo system in WoW.
    With WoW's combat system that would be gimped entirely. What are you going to do when you can just get rooted and kited; or stunned midway through your combo sequence. It's a neat idea but I can just see things happening where the monk can never do their finisher, and result in crap output, crap damage and endless frustration.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    With WoW's combat system that would be gimped entirely. What are you going to do when you can just get rooted and kited; or stunned midway through your combo sequence. It's a neat idea but I can just see things happening where the monk can never do their finisher, and result in crap output, crap damage and endless frustration.
    Well that's more PvP where DPS doesn't matter. In PvE where DPS matters, that wouldn't be much of a problem.

For new classes perhaps, it could also be pretty cool for Rogues, but I'd prefer to keep it off classes like Warriors, Mages and such. I'd like it if it was special to some classes.

what if marvel vs capcom combo system. higher the combo the more % dmg you do

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edds View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Damage increases by 5-10% per successful combo or something.

Also the chains I'm thinking of wouldn't be more than 3-6 moves tops.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edds View Post
    That's kinda the polar opposite of how damage scaling works in MvC and every other fighter man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    For new classes perhaps, it could also be pretty cool for Rogues, but I'd prefer to keep it off classes like Warriors, Mages and such. I'd like it if it was special to some classes.
    Yeah, it would definitely be for a new class, and that class would almost assuredly have to be melee.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always thought it would be fairly engaging for one class or spec or something to have something like this

Combo initiator -> Utility Type (choose one of three) -> Damage Type (choose one of three) -> Finisher.

Like...

Combo Start -> Snare! -> +X% Bleed -> Finisher (applies the snare and bleed and does damage)

or

Combo Start -> Mortal Strike Effect -> Guaranteed Crit -> Finisher (guaranteed crit, applies Mortal Strike effect)

Maybe place an internal cooldown on it or work in more synergy (finisher deals extra damage to bleeding targets)
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Augh View Post
    That's kinda the polar opposite of how damage scaling works in MvC and every other fighter man.
    yeah would be a bad idea if that was the case

maybe a tank that block with the sf3 parry system

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, and I'd LOVE to see something like that add some real variety to the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    The posts don't seem to match the poll results. Can anyone chime in and explain why this couldn't work?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    The posts don't seem to match the poll results. Can anyone chime in and explain why this couldn't work?
    There is some difficulty, of course. Latency (especially high latency), could easily cause you to cancel or lose or combo if it is time-based. It'll be difficult to work bosses around combo-style mechanics as well as balance them, perhaps. Maybe. I could see how it could add some strategy: knowing the right moment to interrupt a combo just like making sure a lock never gets off that chaos bolt.