Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhamer View Post
    Except you basically had two games made in that time. Halfway through they scrapped the original D9 team because it was just a spruced up D2 and Blizzard was not happy with the direction and started fresh.
    Actually, the Blizzard North devs left with the Vivendi acquisition of Blizzard, so the project was scrapped. Blizzard then re-made the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    People like to refute this for some reason, especially ones that use 'insider sources' as proof. They continuously point that their given source has 'never' been wrong, or always predicted things, etc, etc...even when the person in question admits they are a friend of a friend of 'someone' who works at Blizzard. It's like talking to the mailman's sister of a Blizzard janitor somehow enlightens us on all things we could possibly need to know.

As a serious statement though, there are ways they can create a new IP but stay within the realm of their currently established ones. It's not really uncommon either. Realistically we would call it a spin off....but that would give too much away too early. Some examples of new IPs from existing IPs would be how they made the show Torchlight from pieces of the Doctor Who universe. Sure it shares some backstory and characters, but the elements that make up the IP are radically different than Doctor Who.

It would be like Starbucks creating juice shops. Sure they still make beverages, but it's not the same thing.

Blizzard could easily do this with Starcraft by going many years forwards or backwards from where the games show them to be. You wouldn't have characters from any of the games, protoss and zerg probably wouldn't exist other than myths/easter eggs, and it wouldn't be centered around military campaigns relevant to gameplay in Starcraft. It could be a FPS, it could be action combat, it could honestly be anything.

I guess the same could be done for Diablo, if you fast forward so many years that the Nephalem are dead legends, magic has ceased to be common, and that world progressed into a science based future. Maybe technomagic if you wanted to keep some fantasy elements.

Whatever the case, it's fairly easy to establish a new IP with a basis on something else. I guess this is why people are so eager to believe it's nothing new. Idk.
    Exactly. That is why of all the speculation to date, unless it was a deliberate ruse, the Atlas rumors, being set in the SC universe but hundreds or thousands of years before SC1 are probably correct. Technically it is part of the SC IP but it would be so far removed from anything we know about SC it would be entirely new. That also plays into the quote from Kaplan I believe, which said something like Titan will be set in the future and the past. SC would be the future, Titan would be the past.

---------- Post added 2013-02-19 at 06:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Actually, the Blizzard North devs left with the Vivendi acquisition of Blizzard, so the project was scrapped. Blizzard then re-made the game.
    People left due to the acquisition but they were still making D3 until Vivendi closed the studio down. One of the major reasons cited was that Vivedni was not happy with what they deemed to be poor development of D at the time. So it is kinda of both. Major players left and the game was pretty much crap. So Vivendi put the kibosh on it and started anew. If it was anything of quality BN may have been around to finish it.

People left due to the acquisition but they were still making D3 until Vivendi closed the studio down. One of the major reasons cited was that Vivedni was not happy with what they deemed to be poor development of D at the time. So it is kinda of both. Major players left and the game was pretty much crap. So Vivendi put the kibosh on it and started anew. If it was anything of quality BN may have been around to finish it.
    Atleast from what I remember, Bill Roper who was one of the earliest members of Blizzard and in later date more associated with Blizzard N. left the studio because Vivendi started meddling with WoW developement relatively late in the cycle, pushing for more EQ like experience and tarnishing what he considered to be the original intent.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2013-02-19 at 06:46 PM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Atleast from what I remember, Bill Roper who was one of the earliest members of Blizzard and in later date more associated with Blizzard N. left the studio because Vivendi started meddling with WoW developement relatively late in the cycle, pushing for more EQ like experience and tarnishing what he considered to be the original intent.
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Bill-...rd-58892.shtml

Take that for what it's worth. It doesn't really mention anything about WoW, but was basically a failed power play for his team. I also chuckled when the article mentioned Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 in 2007. Lol.

I don't know why people claim Roper is so amazing. He hasn't done anything great since he left Blizzard. Clearly it was more than his talent that was making him successful. I am highly critical of Disney's decision to hire him for the head of their game division. After the recent busts they've been having there, it's a very odd choice indeed to pick someone who hasn't proven worth in almost a decade.

He must have had some really amazing ideas or laced their drinks with PCP.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2013-02-19 at 07:26 PM.
    BAD WOLF

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Could it not be a 'warcraft' mmo but instead about the war between the titans and the burning legion? thats not warcraft, warcraft was between orcs and humans.
    ABOMS NORTH-LEFT!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    I'm surprised we haven't opened a portal in WoW to explore the worlds of Diablo or Starcraft. True either could be an MMO in their own right but just think... Diablo expansion would be a very dark and gritty world that has been over run by demons... it could introduce a taint system for your character which visually changes the look of your spells or casting animations... Starcraft expansion includes a rise in the former insectoid kingdoms in which they open a portal to the Zerg we follow and encounter a new race of psionically gifted warriors (new race/class combinations). Blizzard make it happen!
    Outlands......

Not to get too off topic, but simply using steam and having cogs and gears doesn't make it steampunk. Part of steampunk is the quasi-Victorian England aesthetic, in fact that's actually kinda a really important part.
    Technically if it's cogs and gears as opposed to steam, it's clockpunk (based on the earlier technological revolution of clockwork mechanics as opposed to the later steam power revolution) :P

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    It's getting off topic but again I have to disagree. http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...lish/steampunk. It has nothing to do with the Victorian setting, it's just alternate technology that uses steam machinery instead of electronics and gas engines. The movies Wild Wild West and 9 are classified as steampunk and don't have nothing to do with Victorian England. Also most other steampunk games and movies don't take place in that setting. What you're saying is basically the same as saying fantasy can only take place in Middle Earth and has to feature elves, dorfs and orcs.

While I agree that WoW is not a pure steampunk game, it is heavily influenced by it and features a lot of steampunk technology. Yes there are also spaceships etc. but it's rare and they mostly just occur once or during a single expansion. Steampunk technology and elements are a huge part of WoW lore and are everywhere starting with the tram in SW and ending with all the flying machines, steam tanks and other machinery found at nearly every corner.
    Mmm, debatable I suppose. Steampunk is often a literary homage to the style and works of Jules Verne, H.G. Wells and other classic science fiction authors, which is where the Victorian thing comes from. The genre began in the 60s and the seminal works definitely had that whole Victorian aesthetic and theme. It was a pretty kooky minor genre for a long time but has had a big resurgence in recent years with CGI making its look a lot easier to achieve. It may have gotten to a stage now where it's possible to divorce the visual iconography of steampunk from its Victorian literature roots but that's a very recent development if true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Whatever it's going to be, due to all speculation it will not live up to the peoples expectations.
    So in other words, you could say it will suck.

Now onto the subject of Titan itself:

Blizzard allrdy has 3 "mmo's" with different genres: WoW, SWtor2, and Diablo, so lets assume it has nothing to do with either of them as they claim. It wont be involving intergalactic stuff, hellish demons and shit from diablo, Horde/alliance, orcs, humans, panda's etc.

What are titans? We all know they were the gods that created azeroth. However, wiki has this about it:

"In Greek mythology, the Titans (Greek: Τιτάν—Ti-tan; plural: Τιτᾶνες—Ti-tânes) were a primeval race of powerful deities, descendants of Gaia (Earth) and Uranus (Heaven), that ruled during the legendary Golden Age. They were immortal huge beings of incredible strength and stamina and were also the first pantheon of Greco-Roman gods and goddesses. In the first generation of twelve Titans, the males were Oceanus, Hyperion, Coeus, Cronus, Crius and Iapetus and the females - the Titanesses - were Mnemosyne, Tethys, Theia, Phoebe, Rhea and Themis. The second generation of Titans consisted of Hyperion's children Eos, Helios, and Selene; Coeus's daughters Leto and Asteria; Iapetus's children Atlas, Prometheus, Epimetheus, and Menoetius; Oceanus' daughter Metis; and Crius's sons Astraeus, Pallas, and Perses." (haha uranus)

So going on that, and the fact that it will have nothing to do with wow, swtor and diablo, i think it will be a MMO RPG, focused around the greek/roman era. With several factions (greek, spartans, perzians, etc.) and several world bosses based on old mythology (Hades, etc.). There will be homestead options (thats why they tried tillers farm), and a big open world with myhological creatures because of a BS story along the lines of: "Titans are pissed, they pee down on us from heaven and they unleash stuff on the earth".

Im the first that stated this, so credit me if im right in about a year. Cheers
    Last edited by mmoc84a835f152; 2013-02-21 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derper View Post
    Whatever it's going to be, due to all speculation it will not live up to the peoples expectations.
    So in other words, you could say it will suck.

Now onto the subject of Titan itself:

Blizzard allrdy has 3 "mmo's" with different genres: WoW, SWtor2, and Diablo, so lets assume it has nothing to do with either of them as they claim. It wont be involving intergalactic stuff, hellish demons and shit from diablo, Horde/alliance, orcs, humans, panda's etc.

What are titans? We all know they were the gods that created azeroth. However, wiki has this about it:

"In Greek mythology, the Titans (Greek: Τιτάν—Ti-tan; plural: Τιτᾶνες—Ti-tânes) were a primeval race of powerful deities, descendants of Gaia (Earth) and Uranus (Heaven), that ruled during the legendary Golden Age. They were immortal huge beings of incredible strength and stamina and were also the first pantheon of Greco-Roman gods and goddesses. In the first generation of twelve Titans, the males were Oceanus, Hyperion, Coeus, Cronus, Crius and Iapetus and the females - the Titanesses - were Mnemosyne, Tethys, Theia, Phoebe, Rhea and Themis. The second generation of Titans consisted of Hyperion's children Eos, Helios, and Selene; Coeus's daughters Leto and Asteria; Iapetus's children Atlas, Prometheus, Epimetheus, and Menoetius; Oceanus' daughter Metis; and Crius's sons Astraeus, Pallas, and Perses." (haha uranus)

So going on that, and the fact that it will have nothing to do with wow, swtor and diablo, i think it will be a MMO RPG, focused around the greek/roman era. With several factions (greek, spartans, perzians, etc.) and several world bosses based on old mythology (Hades, etc.). There will be homestead options (thats why they tried tillers farm), and a big open world with myhological creatures because of a BS story along the lines of: "Titans are pissed, they pee down on us from heaven and they unleash stuff on the earth".

It is already known that they have hired programmers to work in real time in game advertising for current products. This is fact. Explain how anything other than a modern day, near future, or future setting can be possible with a Coca-Cola or Mcdonald's ads in game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Explain how anything other than a modern day, near future, or future setting can be possible with a Coca-Cola or Mcdonald's ads in game?
    Ahem...

*HEAR YE HEAR YE! Ye Olde Mackus Donaldus hath created a divine ambrosia of meat for thine tongue. Come whet your appetite with the new McSpartan. 4 stones of freshly slaughtered calf roasted over a sacrifical pyre between two wheat loaves dipped in lambs blood. Only 3 stones for the next fortnight!*
    BAD WOLF

i think it will be a MMO RPG, focused around the greek/roman era.
    Project codenames often have absolutely nothing to do with the content of the final product.

EX: Starcraft 2's code name was Medusa. Diablo 3's was Hydra. Etc.

Blizzard just has a thing for Greco-Roman mythology when it comes to throw away names.
    No. You really, really aren't.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really hope its not an fps... we have too many fps on the market as it is. And the last thing I want is another game to cater to the CoD crowd just because that sort of thing is popular.

I woulnt mind a modern day scenario game. But not in first person, maybe a third person action rpg, something new, blizzard have already proved they are kings of the RTS, I wouldn't mind seeing them put their cut on something fresh.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Because if Titan is an FPS and blizzard has never made an FPS why not hand it over to a company that makes oh i dont FPS games? Oh and it has nothing to do with adds on this site. Ive been wanting to know what Titan is just like everyone else for a long time. Also lots of ppl have speculated that Bungie and Blizzard were working on a new game together, I remember seeing a pic multiple times showing Blizz hireing for a next gen MMO with multiple positions available. So next gen MMO, what is a Next Gen MMO? Maybe a MMO on Next Gen Consoles? If so Destiny is going to be released on Next Gen Consoles even more reason to believe that Destiny is the original Titan.

Im guessing some ppl dont even want to think of this possibility because they love their computer so much and hate consoles and the thought of blizzards next big thing being on console dissapoints them but i didnt say Titan was dead, i just said it got shifted. There will still be a Titan its just a different game than what it previously was, as the guy who created this thread said its now going to be a spin off. So who knows what it will be now.

All im saying is that IF it was an FPS it makes sense, Blizz has never produced an FPS, Just because your a successful development studio does not mean you can make a FPS let alone a FPSMMO. It makes sense why you would let Bungie handle the FPS side of the game. As for it not being mentioned the investors have no idea what Titan is. Do they know its an MMO? Do they know what Genre it is? Action? FPS? RTS? I thought not. Like i said "Titan" is still being developed its just a different game than it was b4 at least thats what i think. I didnt say "Hey blizz your no longer doing this game, bungie is now doing it, you guys go back to WoW,SC2,D3" What i said was "Hey blizz we got these FPS guys here that are gonna be working on this game and we eventually want them to take it over, in the mean time start developing this new game as we start to phase you out of what we currently have you working on."
    Yes the investors do know its an mmo, and last year it was revealed in one of their quarterly reports that it was an mmorpg.

Ahem...

*HEAR YE HEAR YE! Ye Olde Mackus Donaldus hath created a divine ambrosia of meat for thine tongue. Come whet your appetite with the new McSpartan. 4 stones of freshly slaughtered calf roasted over a sacrifical pyre between two wheat loaves dipped in lambs blood. Only 3 stones for the next fortnight!*
    While I appreciate the humor, you know that won't happen.

Diablo MMORPG or bust!

While I appreciate the humor, you know that won't happen.
    Wouldn't surprise me if it actually did, particularly with F2P games. You could even offer a game without advertisements as a perk if players decided to sub...

Don't forget that Everquest had an option where you could order pizza from Pizza Hut while in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Don't forget that Everquest had an option where you could order pizza from Pizza Hut while in game.
    ...my mind is blown. Did this really happen? I can't believe that didn't catch on to other games. I could have saved a lot of time back in the day if they had an in game delivery service for local food joints...

O.O brb, I need to go patent software that works inside MMOs to do this very thing. The next time you see me, I'll be a millionaire.
    BAD WOLF

...my mind is blown. Did this really happen?

Happened in 2004, it was a Pizza Hut promotion. I don't think anything really happened with it, but many lulz ensued at the time.

10+ Year Old Account

Happened in 2004, it was a Pizza Hut promotion. I don't think anything really happened with it, but many lulz ensued at the time.
    Wow.... thats rediculous

Its probably gonna be something to appeal to all masses.

Some form of questing/raiding for the PvErs thats portable to consoles as a single player part.

Arena but balanced properly instead of the fail engine of WoW, where every PvE and PvP change destroy each other.

And stuff like Pet battles and farmville inside for the rest.

Pretty much the same as WoW is now, but on a new engine and on a different environment without the limitations of the 12 year old engine while portable to consoles, i doubt its gonna be something old, probably a new franchise and stuff.