Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes and No.

Seriously, if you take WoW seriously, then you need to re-evaluate your life.
    IRL im a jokester and a prankster, people do get mad when they take life too seriously.
    I do like to troll, because the same people, like in real life, get so angry. Thats what makes me laugh. If you stopped living life soo seriously, you'd see how much fun it actually is.

Competition, not just in gaming, there's always gonna be trolling and "elitests". There's always gonna be the "Im better than you" attitude. You see it everyday in sports, TV, work, certain type of neighborhoods(rich vs poor).

Back to WoW, what i dont understand is....Those of you complaining, who hate trolls and elitests so much, Why not just /ignore and you never EVER have to see what they have to say. Why? Because you like it, because you like to argue and try to change people to see your point. NEWSFLASH, they wont EVER see your point. This is what makes people different from one another.

ALSO, if youre mad at the world IRL. Why play WoW, when its the same world youre trying to get away from? Common sense runs thin, in life these days.
    Heard they sell it on EBAY along with Raid Awareness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Online communities are awful in general. I help when I can, but it usually just ends with them getting offended because how fucking dare I give out advice? Dunning-kruger effect... fuck it.
    The thing is, most people that get defensive or act harshly when given "advice" have probably been verbally berated and abused so much they think you are coming off as being a jerk, also you may want to look how you word you advice and make sure it may not be misconstrued as hateful instead of helpful.

---------- Post added 2013-02-22 at 02:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Volbian View Post
    Yes and No.

IRL im a jokester and a prankster, people do get mad when they take life too seriously.
    I do like to troll, because the same people, like in real life, get so angry. Thats what makes me laugh. If you stopped living life soo seriously, you'd see how much fun it actually is.

Competition, not just in gaming, there's always gonna be trolling and "elitests". There's always gonna be the "Im better than you" attitude. You see it everyday in sports, TV, work, certain type of neighborhoods(rich vs poor).

Back to WoW, what i dont understand is....Those of you complaining, who hate trolls and elitests so much, Why not just /ignore and you never EVER have to see what they have to say. Why? Because you like it, because you like to argue and try to change people to see your point. NEWSFLASH, they wont EVER see your point. This is what makes people different from one another.

ALSO, if youre mad at the world IRL. Why play WoW, when its the same world youre trying to get away from? Common sense runs thin, in life these days.
    There is a difference between joking and telling someone to go commit suicide or using racist or homophobic remarks, and if that is your idea of being funny you need to re-evaluate YOUR life not us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    The thing is, most people that get defensive or act harshly when given "advice" have probably been verbally berated and abused so much they think you are coming off as being a jerk, also you may want to look how you word you advice and make sure it may not be misconstrued as hateful instead of helpful.

---------- Post added 2013-02-22 at 02:27 AM ----------

There is a difference between joking and telling someone to go commit suicide or using racist or homophobic remarks, and if that is your idea of being funny you need to re-evaluate YOUR life not us.
    Thats not trolling. Learn the definition before giving advice. No where in my post i mention i did any of those thing.

Here's the funny thing, yesterday i was trolling in trade, and someone told me "He wishes i was dead IRL". And he wasnt the person i was trolling. I never even heard of the guy/girl before. Just out of the blue. And he meant it. I lol'ed IRL. I affected this person soo bad without directly talking to him and he had so much anger towards me. And you telling me i should re-evaluate MY life? LOL

And if you think for one second, NO ONE makes racists or homophobic remarks, even yourself. Then your delusional. Everyone does it, idc what anyone says. Maybe not towards someone you dont know, but im sure its between your own circle of friends/family, that those types of things are mentioned.

Thats not trolling. Learn the definition before giving advice. No where in my post i mention i did any of those thing.

Here's the funny thing, yesterday i was trolling in trade, and someone told me "He wishes i was dead IRL". And he wasnt the person i was trolling. I never even heard of the guy/girl before. Just out of the blue. And he meant it. I lol'ed IRL. I affected this person soo bad without directly talking to him and he had so much anger towards me. And you telling me i should re-evaluate MY life? LOL

And if you think for one second, NO ONE makes racists or homophobic remarks, even yourself. Then your delusional. Everyone does it, idc what anyone says. Maybe not towards someone you dont know, but im sure its between your own circle of friends/family, that those types of things are mentioned.
    There are 2 things wrong with this.

1. the person who said (regardless if he means it or not) that he wished you dead.
    It is ofcourse pretty much stupid to say something like this and shows a lack of respect or lack of values.

2. you obviously weren't funny. You weren't funny in such a way or so immature, that even people who you didn't even talked to thought you were a douchebag.
    That makes your def. a part of todays problems.

So while you think trolling is a good way to participate in a game - there are most likely not a lot of people who are of the same opinion.

Without trying to insult you, can I assume you are below 21? Don't even answer that because I am not actually interested. The thing is, by reading your comments you come off to me as such. And as such I would as a player most likely avoid you (if you behaved that way). I wouldn't respond to you ingame, but you'll def. end up on my ignore list. My guess also is that you are to be found a lot in /trade right? It is your playing field so to speak outside of normal gaming activities.

I haven't been in trade (apart from rare occasion) since the end of Vanilla. Just to avoid people who are immature and who want to provoke a reaction by thinking they are funny.

Now I am not saying I have this issue with you here on these boards. Most def. not. I like a good discussion and different points of view. I am just hoping that you might understand why I am concluding this.

If I am wrong, hey I am wrong. Lesson learned and we go onwards with our merry lives right?

Just some extra info before anyone else thinks I am way too serious.

I am known in my guild and to some people outside it, as Mr Penisman. Yes I said it and you're welcome to join in on that. I don't care. I just wanted to confess this so I don't come off as such overly serious guy. But with my humour I don't hurt or troll people. Other people can join in on the fun and we all have a laugh about it.

Yes and No.

You can't really ignore a person who is screwing up a dungeon run on purpose. Kick them out....oh but wait they have a timer so I can't. Leave the group.....if I was a tank sure, I can find a group within seconds. As a dps, I would have to wait all that time again. Dealing with those kind of trolls suck if you don't have a ton of time to play. You talk about the game is suppose to be fun right, well that troll who wipes groups makes the game no fun. If you're idea of fun is to set in trade chat and troll, yea, you should re-evaluate your life. The VERY fact you pissed someone off to say they wanted you to die means you offended someone greatly. You affected that person IRL, who might be dealing with issues of their own. They try to get away from all that just to see someone offending them, even if it wasn't directly towards them. You don't know who you really affect with your trolling. Obviously that guy who wanted you dead has some issues, but that goes to show what trolling can do to others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    There are 2 things wrong with this.

1. the person who said (regardless if he means it or not) that he wished you dead.
    It is ofcourse pretty much stupid to say something like this and shows a lack of respect or lack of values.

2. you obviously weren't funny. You weren't funny in such a way or so immature, that even people who you didn't even talked to thought you were a douchebag.
    That makes your def. a part of todays problems.

So while you think trolling is a good way to participate in a game - there are most likely not a lot of people who are of the same opinion.

Without trying to insult you, can I assume you are below 21? Don't even answer that because I am not actually interested. The thing is, by reading your comments you come off to me as such. And as such I would as a player most likely avoid you (if you behaved that way). I wouldn't respond to you ingame, but you'll def. end up on my ignore list. My guess also is that you are to be found a lot in /trade right? It is your playing field so to speak outside of normal gaming activities.

I haven't been in trade (apart from rare occasion) since the end of Vanilla. Just to avoid people who are immature and who want to provoke a reaction by thinking they are funny.

Now I am not saying I have this issue with you here on these boards. Most def. not. I like a good discussion and different points of view. I am just hoping that you might understand why I am concluding this.

If I am wrong, hey I am wrong. Lesson learned and we go onwards with our merry lives right?

Just some extra info before anyone else thinks I am way too serious.

I am known in my guild and to some people outside it, as Mr Penisman. Yes I said it and you're welcome to join in on that. I don't care. I just wanted to confess this so I don't come off as such overly serious guy. But with my humour I don't hurt or troll people. Other people can join in on the fun and we all have a laugh about it.
    You sir, are entitled to your opinions. I'm not gonna jump down your throat for it. As i said in my post, previous to the one you responded to, i dont take life seriously.
    With that said, i dont care what people say or think of me. I'm not here nor there, to prove my worth, to anyone. Especially on WoW, its a video game.

Secondly, my trolling has truth to it, i dont troll and make stuff up. I'm sure people get mad. Alot of people get mad at the truth.
    For example, my troll that day was how the server sucks, and most players suck, on my realm(alliance side). Its no secret, raiding guilds have left server, because there is no abundance of talent to fill needed roles. Is that my fault? Not at all. I took the time over the years and learned and continue learning about my class/specs.
    So, yes i may come across as a douchebag or elitest. But the only ones responding are the ones that are bad players. Never has a anyone, from a progressing raiding guild, went against what i was saying. Why? Because its the truth.
    Now i'm getting off topic, so i'll stop. Just thought i'd let you know exactly what was going on, because you made an assumption not knowing what it actually was.

As far as the age thing, wrong again, i'm much older than that.
    And yes im in trade alot, what else is there to do, other then wait for queues to pop on my non raiding days? I'm exalted with every faction, i dont to dailies, i dont care to level anymore alts(because leveling is brutal in MoP), i dont PVP. There's nothing. Only useful gear i can get is from actually raiding. Honestly just waiting for the some new stuff, like 5.2.

Lastly, good for you that you have a sense of humor. There's also all types of humor. Based on your description, youre like a Bill Cosby and i'm more of a Richard Pryor. People get hurt, when they allow themselves to get hurt, just an FYI.

---------- Post added 2013-02-22 at 03:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Theendgamelv3 View Post
    You can't really ignore a person who is screwing up a dungeon run on purpose. Kick them out....oh but wait they have a timer so I can't. Leave the group.....if I was a tank sure, I can find a group within seconds. As a dps, I would have to wait all that time again. Dealing with those kind of trolls suck if you don't have a ton of time to play. You talk about the game is suppose to be fun right, well that troll who wipes groups makes the game no fun. If you're idea of fun is to set in trade chat and troll, yea, you should re-evaluate your life. The VERY fact you pissed someone off to say they wanted you to die means you offended someone greatly. You affected that person IRL, who might be dealing with issues of their own. They try to get away from all that just to see someone offending them, even if it wasn't directly towards them. You don't know who you really affect with your trolling. Obviously that guy who wanted you dead has some issues, but that goes to show what trolling can do to others.
    So, thats my problem they have real life issues? If you read the ALSO part, you pretty much confirmed what i said. But the question is why put yourself in that environment? Im pretty sure everyone who has played this game 6 months and more, knows the community is bad.
    Here's my answer to that question, as my OWN opinion, People with those issues come on to take their frustrations out on the trolls in trade. Its like the circle of life.
    Get mad IRL, come on WOW, there's always one troll, then let them have it. Frustrations gone. THIS is why those same people never put trolls on ignore. If there was no trolls, then they nerd rage in LFRetards or LFGumps, and life is better. Again, IMO.
    Last edited by Volbian; 2013-02-22 at 09:30 AM.

You sir, are entitled to your opinions. I'm not gonna jump down your throat for it. As i said in my post, previous to the one you responded to, i dont take life seriously.
    With that said, i dont care what people say or think of me. I'm not here nor there, to prove my worth, to anyone. Especially on WoW, its a video game.

Secondly, my trolling has truth to it, i dont troll and make stuff up. I'm sure people get mad. Alot of people get mad at the truth.
    For example, my troll that day was how the server sucks, and most players suck, on my realm(alliance side). Its no secret, raiding guilds have left server, because there is no abundance of talent to fill needed roles. Is that my fault? Not at all. I took the time over the years and learned and continue learning about my class/specs.
    So, yes i may come across as a douchebag or elitest. But the only ones responding are the ones that are bad players. Never has a anyone, from a progressing raiding guild, went against what i was saying. Why? Because its the truth.
    Now i'm getting off topic, so i'll stop. Just thought i'd let you know exactly what was going on, because you made an assumption not knowing what it actually was.

As far as the age thing, wrong again, i'm much older than that.
    And yes im in trade alot, what else is there to do, other then wait for queues to pop on my non raiding days? I'm exalted with every faction, i dont to dailies, i dont care to level anymore alts(because leveling is brutal in MoP), i dont PVP. There's nothing. Only useful gear i can get is from actually raiding. Honestly just waiting for the some new stuff, like 5.2.

Lastly, good for you that you have a sense of humor. There's also all types of humor. Based on your description, youre like a Bill Cosby and i'm more of a Richard Pryor. People get hurt, when they allow themselves to get hurt, just an FYI.

---------- Post added 2013-02-22 at 03:11 AM ----------

So, thats my problem they have real life issues? If you read the ALSO part, you pretty much confirmed what i said. But the question is why put yourself in that environment? Im pretty sure everyone who has played this games 6 months and more, knows the community is bad.
    Here's my answer to that question, as my OWN opinion, People with those issues come on to take their frustrations out on the trolls in trade. Its like the circle of life.
    Get mad IRL, come on WOW, there's always one troll, then let them have it. Frustrations gone. THIS is why those same people never put trolls on ignore. If there was no trolls, then they nerd rage in LFRetards or LFGumps, and life is better. Again, IMO.
    Actually knowing now what you said in trade doesn't come off to me as "trolling". You just said something that was very obvious and true. If people react to that in a way that they are still def. in denial... that's their problem.

Looking at your post right now, you don't come off to me as 21 or below

Thanks for the clarification.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is partly the reason I quit cause big part of the community feels very unfriendly. I agree due to changes that made certain things easier, made ppl care less and less and rather fend for themselves rather then working with new ppl, making friends and caring more about gear then anything else. Isn't what the game is all about? Working together to overcome bosses and sharing the loot.

Yes.

And yes we should.

10+ Year Old Account

I never said YOU did that, I am saying that is the crap that makes the community bad, what I DID say was if you find it funny then you need to re-evalute your life, I tend to ignore trade trolls because by definition I really can't figure out his is dumber them or the people who fall for it because most trolls (again not saying you) tend to make themselves look stupid in the process of making others look stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    It might be just me or is this especially found on pvp servers??

Quote Originally Posted by Spinachsandwich View Post
    Is the wow community bad? For the most part yes. Should we feel bad? No, it's blizzard's fault that the community is the way it is.
    How is it blizzards fault that the community is a bunch of d*ckheads?

Also yes, we should feel bad.
    Last edited by Piitz; 2013-02-22 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Piitz View Post
    How is it blizzards fault that the community is a bunch of d*ckheads?
    You should read the entire thread lots of explanations given.

In any multiplayer game that is popular enough, most players are going to be children/teens and that leads to mostly childish behavior online. They also "represent" the "scene" this way because they're the majority after all, so if you read something in forums or whereever you'll most likely see a lot of childish posts.

It's not dramatic, and it doesn't mean that there are only *those* people playing, it just means that whenever you read something from those communities you have to consider this fact, and don't take anything seriously (there might also be a lot of trolls or players letting off steam in a highly subjective fashion) unless you find really solid or insightful posts. The "anonymity" also makes sure that you can't be sure that what you're reading is written by an 8 year old or a 50 year old or a 20 year old with the IQ of a goldfish. It's all just text, and you have to be smart about whether or not each post is constructive/truthful or not.

And furthermore, in a game like WoW that changes all the time there are going to be lots of nostalgic fanboys that hate every change in the game just because they had more fun when it was still new and shiny for them.
    Last edited by TaurenNinja; 2013-02-22 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TaurenNinja View Post
    In any multiplayer game that is popular enough, most players are going to be children/teens and that leads to mostly childish behavior online. They also "represent" the "scene" this way because they're the majority after all, so if you read something in forums or whereever you'll most likely see a lot of childish posts.

It's not dramatic, and it doesn't mean that there are only *those* people playing, it just means that whenever you read something from those communities you have to consider this fact, and don't take anything seriously (there might also be a lot of trolls or players letting off steam in a highly subjective fashion) unless you find really solid or insightful posts. The "anonymity" also makes sure that you can't be sure that what you're reading is written by an 8 year old or a 50 year old or a 20 year old with the IQ of a goldfish. It's all just text, and you have to be smart about whether or not each post is constructive/truthful or not.
    So much wisdom ^^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    I never said YOU did that, I am saying that is the crap that makes the community bad, what I DID say was if you find it funny then you need to re-evalute your life, I tend to ignore trade trolls because by definition I really can't figure out his is dumber them or the people who fall for it because most trolls (again not saying you) tend to make themselves look stupid in the process of making others look stupid.
    I find everything funny because i take nothing serious, especially in a video game. My life has been re-evaluated and my conclusion is....Dont take life seriously.
    My life has been all about stress, worrying about this and that. I'm done with that. Life is too short, especially at my age, to give a shit anymore. So even when i do troll, no matter how i look or sound to people, it still doesnt matter what they think or feel towards me.

The community will never change, once they accept that, people would be less angry. Blizz catered to a new geneartion of players, and these kids tend not to have any respect for anyone. Thats how society is now. Im sure you watch TV. You see it on the news everyday or even read about it in the paper. Goes the same way for adults.
    You hear about the guy who punched a 15mnth old in the face on the plane? I found that amusing, not for the kid, but for the simple fact this adult got so annoyed by a child that he punched him IN THE FACE, like he was in a bar fight with someone his own age.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Anonymous online communities are almost always a cesspit.
    This. But! We didn't have that in TBC, did we? I remember TBC to be not as hard as everyone believes. It just required for an individual to get a grip on their game and put in some effort.
    I remember the server community back then. If someone was bad at playing, you'd help him out. That's what people did for me and that's what I did for other people. I remember when, if someone was a troll, a ninja looter or something along those lines, the entire server would know it in a heartbeat.
    I also remember when I finished my paladin t5 set all the whispers saying "Congratulations!" when I walked through Shattrath. I remember, too, how awesome it felt when I got some "special" item such as Stormherald or got exalted with Netherwing.

But today? You don't have that today anymore. Everyone gets the same gear, everyone gets the same Exalted rep, everyone gets the same mounts...
    While I do not know what do think of that past sentence, I do have a very good feeling that removing or changing LFR and LFG tools would make for a better community. Why? Because let's say we change LFG to be only server wide that would make you much less anonymous that if it were cross server. Therefore, if you did something bad, and I'm not talking about not knowing what which boss does or something, the rest of the server would know it pretty fast. That would force people to act better. There would be no tanks going afk, there would be less people crying because you died on that ability which was totally avoidable, even thought that was legitimately hard...

All in all, I am not currently playing the atrocity this game has become. I got bored of the same routine every day. I still follow some news and I'm hoping things to change. But I don't see that happening any time soon....

I would also like to add that this is an MMO... And for an MMO there's not much livelyhood in the world. My thoughts were to change that by doing something along the lines that new crafting recipes would require old world materials. So let's say you want to make a sword... Yeah, sure, you'll need 20 of the hard-to-get current ore/bars, some Iron Bars and well, that handle is decorated by gold so we'll throw in a gold bar, too!
    I think that would make for a better, lively world.

So, thats my problem they have real life issues? If you read the ALSO part, you pretty much confirmed what i said. But the question is why put yourself in that environment? Im pretty sure everyone who has played this game 6 months and more, knows the community is bad.
    You're right it isn't your problem. What you said, that isn't trolling, so that guy either had some real issues or was just angry for whatever reason. Here is the thing, a lot people come on to WoW to connect to their guild community. The community outside of this could be bad and sometimes you have to deal with it if you are looking for something on trade which people still do especially if no one on your guild is on. Depending on kind of trolling it is, you can affect others. Basically would you do or say stuff IRL you do on trade, most likely not. I don't know about you, but I don't want to add to someones IRL issues by being a jerk to them. Some people do vent their frustrations in the manner if which you spoke of, others don't. If you want to troll, troll on, just be mindful that it can affect others IRL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancyfeast View Post
    Can we do anything to remedy that though? Or is it just as in real life? "Some people are nice, and some are jerks. Just do your best to avoid the a-holes?"
    unless we were suddenly given peoples real identities and allowed to deliver an assbeating to those who sorely need one no, there is nothing we can do about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    unless we were suddenly given peoples real identities and allowed to deliver an assbeating to those who sorely need one no, there is nothing we can do about it.
    we can NOT participate in it. Having an attitude of "everyone I don't know is a moron and is there to only steal my trinket from this boss hmph" is not obviously not as bad being outwardly a major pain in the rear-end by griefing others because "they can," but surely it isn't helping the general community to be better. I've found out that simply excluding the problem person from friendly banter and fun-having is much more effective than calling him an idiot mouthbreather.