Poll: Which race deserves some focus to develop there story?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post
    I voted Tauren but I knew people would be dense enough to vote Draenei, plz explain to me how Draenei lore fits into Panda-land?...
    How does human lore or blood elf lore or orc lore fit into Pandaria?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by reyina View Post
    Please explain where it said it would be this expansion.
    We are nowhere near the end of MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    How does human lore or blood elf lore or orc lore fit into Pandaria?
    Have you played since last patch, lol?

Have you played since last patch, lol?
    Yes. That's my point, they fit in other races into Pandaria, there's no reason they couldn't do something with draenei.

Deleted
    Let them poor gnomes take their city back!

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthstar View Post
    I am seriously surprised by the amount of people saying "Worgen"...

...There is a LOT of worgen lore already! Seriously! Go to youtube and search "But wait! There's Lore: Worgen"
    Worgen Lore.....hmmmmmmm

Where? You get them shoved into a couple of spots in game where they don't belong and aren't needed simply to give them some sort of in-game presence outside of Gilneas.

They had more lore development when they weren't a player race. They were ignored within their own expansion, and at least the Draenei got that much.

You'll see just how MUCH worgen lore is already around! (Most of it in the Comics).
    Much of the comics deals with Night Elf Worgen. There is very little lore concerning the Gilnean story.

And same with Blood Elves! They are getting so much screen time, especially in an expansion about Pandaren...
    Yes...the past couple of Patchs have started the BElf storyline moving line again.

We don't even have an archeology!
    Neither do humans.

EJL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post
    I voted Tauren but I knew people would be dense enough to vote Draenei, plz explain to me how Draenei lore fits into Panda-land?...
    - Anduin being Velen's star pupil.
    - The Horde rampaging has happened to them before so it seems likely they don't want a repeat.
    - They want everybody to unite against the legion and stop fighting.
    - Varian needs to earn their respect so the Draenei will naturally be involved.
    - Velen claimed in his short story that the Draenei would be more active on Azeroth to prevent further disasters.

The best part all of this is that in 5.2 Despite Anduin being back on his feet and apparently fully healed, Velen is no where in sight which is a chance to at least have him slightly involved missed for no good reason.
    Token NPC's at Lion's Landing are "okay", but they really don't advance the story in any real way. The Blood Elves are getting a lot of progression to show them as valued members of their faction. The Draenei really badly need an equivalent as so far they've either been neutral or done nothing in their story line.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2013-02-23 at 12:58 PM.

Deleted
    WoW, I didnt expect Draenei will get so many votes. Even Horde agrees they need some love,somebody wake me up, I must be dreaming.

Deleted
    I think Worgen deserve more lore. Perhaps they're newer than Draenei, but Worgen literally go through their starting zone and then get a tree. The only stuff the tree had when cata launched were class trainers - it took 2 patches to actually realise this wasn't fair compared to the mini-city the goblins got in org, and so they added an innkeeper. In the next patch, plain horses were added. There are one or two gilnean towns around the world, but they're just so rare. Worgen are forgotten after the fall of Gilneas.

Draenei are also a close second for me, but hey, they had The Burning Crusade as a rather significant spotlight. The Worgen have been the cleaners at the back of the stage ever since they were added as a race.

Also, need I mention Bilgewater Harbour? Goblins also have THAT, which is practically an unofficial capital.

Well in my opinion :
    On Alliance side...
    Humans got the most lore in every expansion so they don't need more.

Night Elves got a lot of development in Cata, Mt. Hyal was almost a pure night elf zone, Firelands was heavily night elf influenced. Not everyone may like the kind of lore they got but they got quite some.

Dwarves had quite some lore in Wrath in with the Brann Bronzebeard adventures and the reunification of the BB brothers but not much in recent times. Their leadership situation has potential and should be used in some way.

Gnomes... one of the races with very few lore developments. Toshleys Station in Blades Edge Mountains is just a Starship Trooper reference, they had the Mimiron Stuff in Wrath and the recapture of parts of Gnomeregan in the pre-Cata event but nothing really big.

Draenai.. well they had some stuff in BC but after that very little, it's sad that the most prominent Draenai (Farseer Nobundu) is a broken.

Worgen, outside of Novels there is literally nothing on the alliance side. And that's strange because you could do so much with them visually. A cutscene with a werewolf army charging would look quite spectacular.

So in my opinion it's Worgen -> Draenai - Gnomes -> Dwarves -> Night Elves -> Humans in terms of of who deserves lore development on alliance side.

In the Horde :
    Orks, like humans have the most lore.

Forsaken got a lot of stuff in the leveling zones, not so much in the Endgame lore. Still there are so many prominent forsaken, they don't really need a lore focus right now.

Blood Elves got a big hunch of lore in BC and again now in MoP.

Trolls have lore development in every expansion but it's often not Darkspear lore. Still they got a lot in MoP with the Vol'jin story and Echo isles.

Tauren were always lacking in the lore department. The Grimtotem problem is never resolved, they never had a real lore focus in any expansion although there are some prominent Tauren present (like the Druid who got burned in the Firelands quests). Blizzards adds new Tauren sub-races like the Taunka now and then but never does anything with them either.

Well and then there are the Goblins and much like the Worgen they are pretty much ignored after their starting zones. Yes they have a nice city in Azshara but it barely has any quests or any other reason to actually go there. And their leader is still missing. Aside from that it's like with the trolls... there is a lot of Goblin stuff out there but not much about the Bilgewater Cartel.

So imo for the Horde it's Goblins -> Tauren -> Trolls -> Blood Elves -> Forsaken - Orcs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm voting for the Tauren. They're my favorite race and they've really taken a backseat. Sure, they're stoic, peaceful and respectable, but how long can you keep them simmering without throwing them a storyline? Doesn't Magatha deserve to have her ass kicked? Maybe now that the Goblins are officially Horde, they can engineer a new synthetic rise for Thunder Bluff? The Cataclysm left the Alliance right on the doorstep to Mulgore; shouldn't we repel the near-incursion?

Draenei need a lot of work. They've been ignored since TBC.
    Worgen need to have their lore finished (without having to roll a horde and quest through Silverpine.)
    Tauren need some work.
    The Alliance as a whole needs work in the sense that what happens with them needs to be more in game and not 90% in outside media like Cataclysm was. I ran into more Horde faction leaders leveling a toon to 60 than I ever did leveling my Alliance to 85 and completing Loremaster.
    Anyone else think Jaime Lannister only has the Kingslayer title because he was just too lazy to kill the king on heroic mode?

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    On Alliance side...
    Humans got the most lore in every expansion so they don't need more.
    True. But there are seven kingdoms worth of culture and history to deal with. Theres a lot of potential there. Securing Azeroths territories, the restoration of Lordaeron, Strom and Alterac. Getting Kul Tiras back. Where is Calia and the bloodied Crown? They have Menenthil to rebuild or move and Theramore to secure and renew. Lots of story arcs. Lots of potential.

Night Elves got a lot of development in Cata, Mt. Hyal was almost a pure night elf zone, Firelands was heavily night elf influenced. Not everyone may like the kind of lore they got but they got quite some.
    Two big issues with the Night Elves. They aren't savage or competent enough. They have a real issue with neutrality.

Dwarves had quite some lore in Wrath in with the Brann Bronzebeard adventures and the reunification of the BB brothers but not much in recent times. Their leadership situation has potential and should be used in some way.
    The Dwarves have lots of story that can be used. Moira and the Council. Magni. The Stormpikes and Frostwolves. The Forsaken. The Dark Irons and the the Blackrocks. Securing their own territory as well. Blizzard already missed one opportunity by denying them the opportunity to seek vengeance against Ragnaros.

Gnomes... one of the races with very few lore developments. Toshleys Station in Blades Edge Mountains is just a Starship Trooper reference, they had the Mimiron Stuff in Wrath and the recapture of parts of Gnomeregan in the pre-Cata event but nothing really big.

Draenai.. well they had some stuff in BC but after that very little, it's sad that the most prominent Draenai (Farseer Nobundu) is a broken.

Worgen, outside of Novels there is literally nothing on the alliance side. And that's strange because you could do so much with them visually. A cutscene with a werewolf army charging would look quite spectacular.
    The Gnomes don't really need much story development. Like the Goblins, they could be satisfied with a little. The reclamation of their city, a revamp of their zone to give a more Gnomish feel. What they need is more integration into the Alliance, filling the same roles as the Goblins. That, and more development of Gnomish architecture and engineering. Lets see some of those MechaWolves we were promised.

Worgen and Draenei need some serious development and story. Unfortunately, the Worgen don't have anywhere to go if you don't bring them back to Gilneas and Silverpine...that's where their story is, but if they were brought back there - there'd be a lot of it. The Draenei? Blizzard doesn't seem to have clue what to do with them if there's no Burning Legion. Another part where their refusal to reuse old zones hurts.

As for Aysa and the Tushui? I think like the Houjin they could use more development and visibility. I'd like to see a Pandaren village crop up somewhere so that we can see some Pandaren culture. However, unlike the Houjin, I think the Tushui fit far better into the Alliance. To me, and this is a personal feeling, the values of the Tushui follow the Alliances core values more than the Houjin follow that of the Horde. A result of a flawed starter zone.

So imo for the Horde it's Goblins -> Tauren -> Trolls -> Blood Elves -> Forsaken - Orcs.
    Goblins don't actually need the lore, IMO. In many ways, their story is told. Their character is well fleshed out, they are corporate stooges and are essentially Ferengi. They need the Horde so unless the Alliance offers them a hefty bribe, they ain't likely to leave. Jestor should come back, but the next obvious storyline for them is a return to Kezan. You COULD base storylines around them...competition with other Trade Princes for example...or flesh out Gallywix a bit more and have him take more interest in world events and give him a bit more presence. But Goblins are well integrated into the Horde, they've had an impact and they aren't integrated as an after thought.

Much of the Troll lore has indeed been of the non-Darkspar type. But its still involved the Darkspear, and given us in sight into the troll/Darkspear culture. Events such as the reclamation of the Echo Isles also helped, and the current focus on Zandalari and Garroshes attack on VJ is dragging them along nicely.

Similarly, the current storyline is making very good use of the Blood Elves. If there is a criticism, its that LTs reaction to Jainas purge doesn't make much sense; its war, they knew the risks if they were found out, they should have been prepared for the consequences and his arguments don't make a lot of sense given he was looking to leave the Horde. I would have liked to have seen this handled far better - on both sides, it's just too forced and plot driven.

The Forsaken have largely been ignored in MoP. This is perhaps inevitable given Blizzards policy of not making use of old zones. Its understandable that they want the focus on new zones, but at the same time making limited if any use of old zones is awful of so many stories. A few quests around Andorhal and Chillwind, a few more in Silverpine and Gilneas, with some involving Thassarian would do wonders for the story.

Orcs have a lot of story in MoP and Garrosh is the focus. Not all of it is good story, but its there.

The Houjin? They need serious development IMO. There is nothing that shows why they joined the Horde. No reason why they stay there. You get the feeling Ji is running away from his gal, but other than that....the Pandaren were originally developed as an Alliance race. And I'd guess a lot of that initial development was kept. I think much more needs to be done with the Houjin to show how and why they allied with the Horde and why they stay there. Maybe a few quests to explore their philosophy and why they need to stay with the Horde? Are they there because their values are similar? Or is it that they think they can help guide the Horde towards a better way of life? Or is more that they want to join with the Tauren?

The Tauren? There are several stories that can be told, but the Grimtotem are perhaps the stongest. That, and their relationships with the Horde, Baines development as Chieftain and their links with the Night Elfs. CT and the Southern Barrens campaign finally gave them a reason beyond gratitude to stay with the Horde, but the contradictions between their culture and that of everyone else in the Horde are very pronounced.

EJL
    Last edited by Talen; 2013-02-23 at 02:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much any Alliance race (except Nigh Elf) has gotten shafted pretty bad in the lore department, Gnome being the hardest hit. Dwarf and Human not so bad, but Draenai could use some more attention, especially since they technically have the most powerful faction leader in the entire game.

Night elf gets pretty much all they want because of Hyjal/Druids/Cenarion Circle whatever, they're fine. But there are A LOT of loose ends in Human lore that Blizzard has just refused to tie up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want more gnomes tbh, they seem so neglected.

Or dwarves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    Pretty much any Alliance race (except Nigh Elf) has gotten shafted pretty bad in the lore department, Gnome being the hardest hit. Dwarf and Human not so bad, but Draenai could use some more attention, especially since they technically have the most powerful faction leader in the entire game.

Night elf gets pretty much all they want because of Hyjal/Druids/Cenarion Circle whatever, they're fine. But there are A LOT of loose ends in Human lore that Blizzard has just refused to tie up.
    Oh dear...

Night Elf lore has been bad to put it light for a long time. Nobody wants them to characterised exclusively by their Druidism as that's not the aspect of their story that was what gripped fans or even what their society was wholly about.
    On top of this nobody wants them to also be characterised by neutrality especially after what the Orcs have been doing for so long and are still doing to their homeland. Neutrality is a nice story crutch to have on the side but it should not characterise a race that is a part of one of the two factions.
    When considering a races lore attention you are far better off treating the neutral party as a completely different entity simply because that's what it is or at best a side project. It is not a part of their respective faction and does not ultimately share the same objectives.
    People such as myself draw the lines with topics more with Alliance/Horde X Race lore as opposed to neutral factions, it's also particularly evident when you consider the amount of people saying Tauren.

Then in MoP we finally see what people have wanted and should've gotten for so long - Sentinels. Sadly they are pretty much lobotomised purple amazonians with Tyrande being the worst culprit of the bunch with her stint at the Temple of the Red Crane.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2013-02-23 at 03:45 PM.

Draenei, Worgen, and Forsaken, in no particular order.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Deleted
    I feel that Worgen had less development than Goblins in Cataclysm, and Gilneas was left as a bit of a loose end. In terms of complete neglect, the Draenei need a story update, since their starting zone is stuck in the BC era. Blood Elves to a much lesser extent, because they have now become more involved in the main storylines, even though Quel'thalas remains an anachronism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Lets keep this as unbias faction wise as possible, since I feel it benefits both sides having developing lore for one race, opening the doors to another.

I really feel draenei, worgen, and even tauren don't get enough. these races barely get a mention outside of there starting zones.
    This is my list of the two races that need and rightfully deserve some lore development:

1 - Draenei. (One of the first two new races, barely gets any mention outside of their Starting Zone or Outland.)
    2 - Tauren. (Taurens are the #1 least developed race of all the vanilla races, in my opinion. Only reason it's not #1 in my list is because I like Draeneis more.)

Worgen and Trolls (The Darkspear tribe) kind of get an honorable mention, but they're: a) too new a race still (worgen), or b) we've seen them enough elsewhere (Zul'Drak, Zul'Aman, Zul'Gurub, Zandalari and the upcoming Thunder King...)
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

For alliance playable races:

I would like some old race -except humans!!!- take the lead. Dwarves, elves, gnomes, dranei could get some attention. I have not seen many worgen stories either, but I haven't played most of Cata.

I just do not want a totally new race to dominate the entire expansion and continent, as pandas did in MOP.

Deleted
    Pretty much every single one except Humans, Orcs, Forsaken and Trolls.
    For personal tastes, I'd say Night Elves, Dwarves, Tauren, Draenei.