Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Exclamation Can machines become self aware?

This isn't a thread of when machines will become self aware, but rather if machines can become self aware at all? Is there any evidence that this can actually happen, or is just a myth?

Only if the machines have AI. A toaster can't become self aware. But a robot created to be like a human can.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Machines are stupid. They do what we program them to do. Maybe some day some moron will program a computer to be self aware. Until then? I think it's pretty unlikely.

someday. you can count on it.

The real question is whether we are self aware.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    Only if the machines have AI. A toaster can't become self aware. But a robot created to be like a human can.

Bullshit...tell that to the brand new toaster that burnt my toast on the lowest setting lol

animals (including humans) are merely biological computers.

Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    Bullshit...tell that to the brand new toaster that burnt my toast on the lowest setting lol
    you forgot its birthday, didn't you?

Deleted
    omg a machine probably created this thread to see if we can be deluded!!! hello, machine, I am your friend. dont kill me

Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    Machines feel, and can act, on malice.

Robots cannot be trusted!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharlok View Post
    omg a machine probably created this thread to see if we can be deluded!!! hello, machine, I am your friend. dont kill me
    Sandmoth does spit out muck like this on a tempo so he probably could be a machine.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharlok View Post
    I do have a cold machines like personality sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Oooh you are, like, so deep, I can't even see you anymore.

Yeah I think it will be possible. We already have AIs who are able to learn new things on their own, even thought it's something very very basic. Don't ask me for a source, I once saw it on Gallileo, a German television program.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Oooh you are, like, so deep, I can't even see you anymore.
    like, pass the bong, duuuuude

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    We know we exist therefore we are self aware IE: I think therefore I am

10+ Year Old Account
    the first thing i thought about when i saw this was Big dog and upon looking at Boston Dynamics website i found this it appeas to me that DARPA is looking to use Robots and that will mean making them intelligent perhaps
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

The term is singularity. And if Moore's law keeps going at the rate that is going, we are very close to reaching a moment when the computer becomes more intelligent than a human being. However, there is an evolutionary phenomenon occuring with a new 'species' of human emerging called homo evolutis. Basically a species capable of controlling it's evolution through technology. So as computer and machine processing power increases, humans will continue to use technology to evolve their bodies and their minds to keep up with the technology. (think of the evolution of the prosthetic arm, from the wax and plastic arms to robotic arms that attach to nerves and are controlled through thoughts of the controller, or the Emotiv mind control headset that allows you to control any device with your thoughts (heavily modified to work with the headset of course))

The answer to your question is on the horizon

P.S. I wrote my masters degree thesis on this topic; I could go on for hours lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    the first thing i thought about when i saw this was Big dog and upon looking at Boston Dynamics website i found this it appeas to me that DARPA is looking to use Robots and that will mean making them intelligent perhaps
    Machines like the big dog freak people out, so they are very tough to implement into the teal world. There is something called a Turing Test. Basically if a human can not tell if what he is communicating with is a human or a computer (in this case if he cant tell if its a robot or a living creature) This is actually affecting many things in our daily lives. Like Siri on the iDevices. Originally it had a normal human voice that was smooth and realistic. Too realistic. After user testing and studying crowd response, an astonishing percent of the test group found siri very uncomfortable due to its human like speech. That is why Siri today sounds like a retarded robot
    Last edited by Hexotic; 2013-02-24 at 08:04 AM.

Stood in the Fire buddhapunch09's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    This isn't a thread of when machines will become self aware, but rather if machines can become self aware at all? Is there any evidence that this can actually happen, or is just a myth?
    To be honest with you yes.
    Machines can gather information and this can be stored. When machines are able to process "feelings" (predictions, outcomes to and of solutions) then they will be aware of dangers and benefits. This will form an idea of who they are, what is best for them.

Will they be like humans? will they have a so called "soul"? Ill save that for another time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexotic View Post
    The term is singularity. And if Moore's law keeps going at the rate that is going,
    Moore's law is expected to reach it's full potential between now and 2018, and has no bearing on the singularity. I for one can not wait for the singularity to happen.

Yeah vindi, I know, but with the new processing power, we may create new technology that will further allow us to double the processing power lol. Predictions do say by 2020 we will see a sudden change in the so far smooth exponential curve, but who knows (we are actually already seeing a small change, and it is taking slightly longer for the growth to take, but it could be due to many other small factors)
    Last edited by Hexotic; 2013-02-24 at 08:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    x3 Someone just finished watching one of the Terminator movies. With enough technological advances into AI, I'm sure it'll happen eventually.

It's amazing and scary....like a self-aware machine that would still be prone to all the hiccups of technology.

"Hey Siribot, make me some coffee."

"Did you mean: murder your family?"

No thanks. I like my machines subservient.