Poll: Do you think Turkey should one day join the EU?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 33
... LastLast
    Deleted

Turkey restarts negociations over EU membership

By the way, the poll is done like that on purpose, I want to see if the EU people think it's ok and what's the difference of opinion between EU, US and rest of the world.

http://www.euronews.com/2013/02/24/m...embership-bid/

"The German Chancellor has called for open-ended talks between the EU and Turkey over possible Turkish membership of the Union.

Many of the three million Turkish citizens living in Germany will be watching closely when Angela Merkel visits Turkey on Sunday and Monday.

The country is one of Germany’s biggest trading partners outside the EU.

Membership might bring practical benefits for traders at Berlin’s Turkish market.

“For me it’s important that Turkey joins the EU so that we can show that Christians and Muslims can live together in harmony,” said one stall holder.

The German Chancellor raised the issue herself on Saturday, ahead of her trip to Turkey. Despite her reservations about Turkish membership she believes talks, which have stalled, should be revived.

“I think a long negotiating path lies ahead of us. I agreed on open-ended talks over Turkish membership of the European Union, although I’m sceptical,” she said.

There has been concern in Germany that opposition to Turkish membership might drive Ankara away from Europe altogether. The Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan welcomed what he called
    the Chancellor’s “positive statement” on opening a new chapter of negotiations – adding that he hoped it would bring progress during Ireland’s presidency of the EU.

Turkey’s accession negotiations are stuck over the dispute over Cyprus, opposition from several quarters, and concern over human rights and freedom of speech: the European Commission says Ankara does not yet meet EU standards."

The European Union can not afford to operate on a daily basis, let alone add an entire nation that potentially has soaring debts that'll need financial support from the EU Central Bank.

I'd rather we didn't invite anymore countries in. With the deal to allow Romanians to live & work freely around the EU soon coming into effect, countries (Like the UK) who have a pathetic bend-over backwards attitude towards immigrants and shoving benefits onto them, are going to struggle even more, and will only get worse if we allow Turkey into the EU.

If I was to vote on the matter, my answer would be: No, do not allow Turkey to join the EU.

Edit: The poll is a tad bias. I wouldn't mind Turkey joining the EU one day, I think it would be great for the entire European Bloc, but in our current situation it just won't work. If it does go through, I'm calling it now that they'll go the way of Greece who lied about their finances to join the EU.
    Last edited by Hyve; 2013-02-24 at 02:08 PM.

Deleted
    The poll is not bias. I ask if you'd want Turkey to join the EU one day. Not today. They are not ready to join today or tomorrow, this is a process that will take years more at best, decades at worst, but I ask if people would accept Turkey one day, any day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    The European Union can not afford to operate on a daily basis, let alone add an entire nation that potentially has soaring debts that'll need financial support from the EU Central Bank.

I'd rather we didn't invite anymore countries in. With the deal to allow Romanians to live & work freely around the EU soon coming into effect, countries (Like the UK) who have a pathetic bend-over backwards attitude towards immigrants and shoving benefits onto them, are going to struggle even more, and will only get worse if we allow Turkey into the EU.

If I was to vote on the matter, my answer would be: No, do not allow Turkey to join the EU.

Edit: The poll is a tad bias. I wouldn't mind Turkey joining the EU one day, I think it would be great for the entire European Bloc, but in our current situation it just won't work. If it does go through, I'm calling it now that they'll go the way of Greece who lied about their finances to join the EU.
    Turkey wasn't hit by the recession even half as badly as the EU was, I'm not even sure you can even consider them to be in debt in comparison at the moment.

As a Turkish American (since due to some complications on my father's end before he died I'm not allowed to be a citizen by birthright, though I still voted as a citizen), I honestly don't think its the best decision to join the EU at the moment either. Granted, that I hope negotiations can open more welcoming trade opportunities between Europe and Turkey, I don't think the religious and cultural views of Turkey in Europe is respectable enough to warrant joining yet.

Egerdogan goes against the general consensus of most traditional Turks, but the majority follow him like hes some sort of Messiah in the country, whenever I visit relatives it puts me off a bit how much they revere him.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    The poll is not bias. I ask if you'd want Turkey to join the EU one day. Not today. They are not ready to join today or tomorrow, this is a process that will take years more at best, decades at worst, but I ask if people would accept Turkey one day, any day.
    Maybe bias isn't the right word, but it certainly isn't a very clear poll either, but there are obvious limitations on MMO-Champion Polls. My point is, that I don't support Turkey joining the EU while we have immigration laws, financial structuring and business limitations that are currently imposed by the EU. Only once all that is solved, and Turkey can clean up their act as well as Finances, do I think they'll be eligible to join.

Do I think that one-day they should join; Yes. But, that is not in the near, nor far future that I can see, hence why I voted No.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am with my governments stance....
    Turkey is a decent part of Europe for a long time, naturally lol... We have a lot more complicated and disastrous nations within the EU, of which Turkey is none.
    I find it hypocrite to not let Turkey into the EU. Turks have been Europe's Mexicans if you will, with the exception that they did not invade Europe's countries by entering them illegally.
    I do admit, that as a German I might be biased. Germany had immense benefits from Turks, through them providing us with their workforce and manpower. No other nation on Earth helped us so actively physically to rebuild our country. They came after the war and helped to rebuild what was in ashes. And that was pretty much the entire country.
    That statement: “For me it’s important that Turkey joins the EU so that we can show that Christians and Muslims can live together in harmony,” said one stall holder."
    It is absolutely true. I bear witness to that at any given time. We have around 20.000 Turks in my hometown.. (total population 500.000). Ever since after WW2 they are there.
    There's zero conflict on religious level. There never was such. That topic never even existed. And, of course, Turks are human too, and you find assbags amongst them as well... But generally, I can only give the best references about the Turks. They are great people. Helpful, friendly. They are the kind of people you want to have as friends.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2013-02-24 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Turkey wasn't hit by the recession even half as badly as the EU was, I'm not even sure you can even consider them to be in debt in comparison at the moment.
    That doesn't mean they're entirely without their financial issues, debts and soaring problems, which, as a member of the EU they'll have the right to seek financial aid from the EU Central Bank, which is exactly what Greece did.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    As a Turkish American (since due to some complications on my father's end before he died I'm not allowed to be a citizen by birthright, though I still voted as a citizen), I honestly don't think its the best decision to join the EU at the moment either. Granted, that I hope negotiations can open more welcoming trade opportunities between Europe and Turkey, I don't think the religious and cultural views of Turkey in Europe is respectable enough to warrant joining yet.
    I agree. There are far to many limitations and concerns (Beyond financially) with Turkey, and I don't think the people inside Turkey are ready to be part of the EU. I do hope one day they can join and bring prosperity to the EU, but that is not today, nor in the next 10 years.

---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 02:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I find it hypocrite to not let Turkey into the EU.
    Whoa whoa whoa! So your view is, that because some nations are in a far worse state then Turkey, it should be okay to let Turkey in? I'm genuinely baffled that anyone could have such a stupid point of view on this matter...

Currently, Turkey is not ready to be a part of the EU.

If they demonstrate that they are, then they should absolutely be welcomed in.

I do not think their standing with regards to human rights is high enough to justify entry, however. Though I will give them credit for improving a lot in recent years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not while Cyprus is divided and their military is occupying a significant portion of the island. In fact I don't even think it should be up for discussion within the EU for a country to join whilst they illegally occupy the territory of a member state.

The Greek government is just as bad, and they should all fuck off out of our affairs, and let us try and sort out our own solution.

As long as they are occupying part of a country that is a member of the EU, they shouldn't be able to join.

Deleted
    I am with my governments stance....
    Turkey is a decent part of Europe for a long time, naturally lol... We have a lot more complicated and disastrous nations within the EU, of which Turkey is none.
    I find it hypocrite to not let Turkey into the EU. Turks have been Europe's Mexicans if you will, with the exception that they did not invade Europe's countries by entering them illegally.
    I do admit, that as a German I might be biased. Germany had immense benefits from Turks, through them providing us with their workforce and manpower. No other nation on Earth helped us so actively physically to rebuild our country. They came after the war and helped to rebuild what was in ashes. And that was pretty much the entire country.
    That statement: “For me it’s important that Turkey joins the EU so that we can show that Christians and Muslims can live together in harmony,” said one stall holder."
    It is absolutely true. I bear witness to that at any given time. We have around 20.000 Turks in my hometown.. (total population 500.000). Ever since after WW2 they are there.
    There's zero conflict on religious level. There never was such. That topic never even existed. And, of course, Turks are human too, and you find assbags amongst them as well... But generally, I can only give the best references about the Turks. They are great people. Helpful, friendly. They are the kind of people you want to have as friends.
    Religion should never be used as an excuse for allowing a country into the EU. Until Turkey grows up a little and stops acting like a spoilt little bully they can stay as they are.
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2013-02-24 at 02:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    TWhoa whoa whoa! So your view is, that because some nations are in a far worse state then Turkey, it should be okay to let Turkey in? I'm genuinely baffled that anyone could have such a stupid point of view on this matter...
    You have to resort to insult?

Turkey: European Nation by a geographic given.
    One of the strongest trade partners for all Europe, for AGES..... Naturally again, due to it's geographic situation, as the gate between Europe and Asia.
    And economy not nearly as shaken as many EU states have. If you will, Turkey would be a country that actually brings something to the table and doesn't need to be breastfed by the rather wealthy nations like France, England and Germany....

Turkey had some political unrest within it's own borders. If those national issues are solved, and guaranteed not to happen/influence the EU, then there is zero reason to not let them in. The greek? They have to stfu.... It's not a secret that they don't get along with the Turks very well. Looking at Greece nowadays...
    No, they need to step back, and stop interfering against a Turkish EU membership.

I vote yes, let them in. In case of Turkey it is beneficial for the EU...
    And you explain me why it is stupid to support the inclusion of a rather stable and prosper country, when at the same time we include unstable countries that aren't anywhere near our living qualities and standards (Bulgaria/Romania)? The inclusion of those two I've always seen as a strategical move, and not an economical move.

Deleted
    I hope EU doesn't invite any islamist country into it.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    By the way, the poll is done like that on purpose, I want to see if the EU people think it's ok and what's the difference of opinion between EU, US and rest of the world."
    Some day yes

The following need to be true first

Their population should want to join

We have way too many countries that have joined where the populations seem dead set against it, we cannot absorb another 80 million people who would rather be elsewhere.

Sure sure human rights blah blah, sorry but that is in the contract, the criteria to join and all. They cannot join if they do not follow that so if there be issues them be resolved by them rules already there. The big issue is if they would want to

Deleted
    Not a chance, Turkey still has significant human rights issues that it needs to get sorted out before they're even considered. That's not even mentioning their debt levels.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    Luckily Turkey is not that :P

I assume here that you mean the usual lingo extrimist blah blah Islamist and not just Muslim which of course a lot of them are.

Turkey: European Nation by a geographic given.
    Stopped reading there. You've not got a clue ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    Their religion shouldn't be relevant.

---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 04:41 PM ----------

Turkey had some political unrest within it's own borders. If those national issues are solved, and guaranteed not to happen/influence the EU, then there is zero reason to not let them in. The greek? They have to stfu.... It's not a secret that they don't get along with the Turks very well. Looking at Greece nowadays...
    No, they need to step back, and stop interfering against a Turkish EU membership.
    Cyprus is not within Turkey's borders, nor Greece's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Religion should never be used as an excuse for allowing a country into the EU.
    it shouldn't..... But it is...
    And why? because it's the driving force behind the middle east conflict. or at least one of it.
    The demonized views are wide spread nowadays...... Muslims are evil.... All Muslim are Terrorists.... We know it, you know it.
    Whereas it's as far from the truth as it possibly gets.... That man, whoever said it, has a very valid point.
    Okay, given, we are talking about European matters here. And we in Europe aren't as demonizing as many Americans are towards Islam. But then, having an example on a larger scale should put things back into perspective. And if you read further, I actually pointed out that there isn't a religious topic at all, and never was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Religion should never be used as an excuse for allowing a country into the EU. Until Turkey grows up a little and stops acting like a spoilt little bully they can stay
    as they are.
    Funny, the last time I checked Britain held occupied territory all over the world for an entire century and not one fuck was given by anyone else, yet when its a Muslim nation who has had territorial issues with the Greek government, its somehow such an offense that you'd sooner slit their throats?

Its that kind of Ignorance and hypocrisy that makes me wonder why we even try to join, joining the EU as a Muslim state is almost as ridiculous as trying to join a treehouse club with stupid rules on admission, and it shows how mature europe is in its thinking when it comes to Islamic tolerance and understanding.

Heres a small hint, Europe doesn't run the entire world and neither is its authority recognized as sovereign, something you guys have failed to realize for the past 1500 years... There's an entire other half of the world that hardly gives a fuck about the little club you made for yourselves.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol