Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    I agree, however, that doesn't mean a country like mine is automatically geographically homogenous. Which is what you said when you started the thread.
    Relative to the US, they are
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Russia is not a great example since it's a federation and more like USA than other European countries.
    You misunderstood me then.
    I mean, geographically, move from one side to the other. You will notice a difference in living standards, culture and how things are "run" there.

Forget the border thing, it's really not that relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Europe is a continent. We aren't.
    Technically, that is not entirely right. Europe is a part of the continent Eurasia, that is if you go by the definition of the word.
    Last edited by mmocfce925a786; 2013-02-24 at 06:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    No, they're just less diverse. "Geographically homogenous" is a generalization. There aren't 2 extremes to this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbear View Post
    Technically, that is wrong. Europe is a part of the continent Eurasia.
    Technically they are both right depending on who you ask, so why bother commenting on it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbear View Post
    Technically, that is wrong. Europe is a part of the continent Eurasia.
    No, you're wrong, because most geographers accept that "continent" isn't purely a geographical designation. It's a geographical, cultural and historical designation. If we're gonna go the way you view at it, then it isn't Euroasia, It's Euro-afro-asia. And the Americas are 1 continent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
    A non-portuguese map of Europe with our capital city's name spelled the real way, i'm touched... :')

10+ Year Old Account
    No, you're wrong, because most geographers accept that "continent" isn't purely a geographical designation. It's a geographical, cultural and historical designation. If we're gonna go the way you view at it, then it isn't Euroasia, It's Euro-afro-asia. And the Americas are 1 continent.
    No, no I'm not. It's still commonly accepted that Europe/Asia are two separate continents just as North and South America are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    No, no I'm not. It's still commonly accepted that Europe/Asia are two separate continents just as North and South America are.
    Ofcourse you're right! Europe is one thing, Asia and Africa are others. Some people refer to eastern european countries as Euroasia but that's just because of their political and geographical position towards (mainly) Russia, or Turkey.
    Last edited by Azgraal; 2013-02-24 at 06:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't replying to you. And when I said "And the Americas are 1 continent.", I meant that that's true if you're operating under the same principles which lead you to say that Europe and Asia are 1 continent. Which is a set of principles I disagree with.

Its great OP, free healthcare, a gourvement that helps you, but also ask you to pay for it...

etc.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Migas11 View Post
    Ofcourse you're right! Europe is one thing, Asia and Africa are others. Some people refer to eastern european countries as Euroasia but that's just because of their political and geographical position towards (mainly) Russia.
    I'm just saying both viewpoints are correct, not necessarily that just I am correct. There are some geographers who would argue there are 8 "continents". Some would say 4, or 5. I just don't get why everyone is arguing over geography.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, they're just less diverse. "Geographically homogenous" is a generalization. There aren't 2 extremes to this.

You're right. We tend to to categorize things and to use hyperbole.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't replying to you. And when I said "And the Americas are 1 continent.", I meant that that's true if you're operating under the same principles which lead you to say that Europe and Asia are 1 continent. Which is a set of principles I disagree with.
    Apologies then, I swear I saw my name quoted... Don't mind me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking 4 different languages in one country is kind of diverse, what do you have? ^.^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    Speaking 4 different languages in one country is kind of diverse, what do you have? ^.^
    Are you asking how many different languages are spoken in the US? I would have to go with ALL of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you asking how many different languages are spoken in the US? I would have to go with ALL of them.
    Well 4 is the languages spoken here without counting dialects and immigrants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    Well I was talking about geographic diversity, but we have people of all races here that speak many different languages. They're just spread out and usually live in cities. It's not really "pound for pound" as mixed as Switzerland is (assuming that's where you live).

Other than English, Spanish is the only language that can be considered a second language across the entire country.

No, officially or de facto languages. You have English and maybe spanish to a degree. Switzerland has French, German, Italian and Romansh. Also their stamps are in latin XD

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just saying both viewpoints are correct, not necessarily that just I am correct. There are some geographers who would argue there are 8 "continents". Some would say 4, or 5. I just don't get why everyone is arguing over geography.
    Well, i replied with my knowledge, i learned in school, and here my country everyone agrees that Europe and Asia have no relation except by geographical borders. Even cultures are miles apart. The concept of Euroasia picked up again during the World Wars after being set aside for long, due to those bordering nations getting worldly attention.