Your opinion on the implementation of new classes

I have this weird perspective on the implementation of the monk class because I feel like the game currently does not have room let alone the need of them. This got me thinking about DK's and how they're appearance seemed inappropriate by many people. Obviously their overpowered s5 status served as a contributing factor, however I feel like some people still see them as a mistake. I enjoy DK's but then again I play a DK myself so no matter how hard I try my opinion will always be slightly biased.

So, how do you feel about this? Should neither of these classes have been introduced? Do you share my opinion or perhaps think the complete opposite? Taking it further, is there room for even more classes? Is there a need or just desire?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would like to see a class that actually uses polearms, druids dont count because the spec that uses them keeps them hidden. Some people will always like to see new classes snd playstyles while others wish it was still vanilla. I think bliz will impliment new classes every couple xpacs, if the next xpac is with the Burning Legion a demonhunter would be a good fit. I also would like a class that is a mix of enh sham, mage, and warrior. Use arcane magic and bladed weapons to dps/tank with a little ranged utility and no heals.
    Why is there no "Demonhunter" hero class yet? He was only the coolest hero in WC3. Get busy Blizzard.

The introduction of DKs probably came as a huge shock to a lot of people especially when you consider what they were capable of on release. DKs are fine though in my opinion, 10 classes is a good number, adding Monk didn't seem like a great idea. Prepare for this topic to explode by the way, people arguing more classes = more variety vs. they should balance 10 classes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Senathor View Post
    I have this weird perspective on the implementation of the monk class because I feel like the game currently does not have room let alone the need of them. This got me thinking about DK's and how they're appearance seemed inappropriate by many people. Obviously their overpowered s5 status served as a contributing factor, however I feel like some people still see them as a mistake. I enjoy DK's but then again I play a DK myself so no matter how hard I try my opinion will always be slightly biased.

So, how do you feel about this? Should neither of these classes have been introduced? Do you share my opinion or perhaps think the complete opposite? Taking it further, is there room for even more classes? Is there a need or just desire?
    I think DKs are a valid class because they would have been rough to add as a 4th spec to any existing class.

Monks, on the other hand, could have been added as an additional spec to rogues, Bards could be an additional spec to rogues, and Demon Hunters could be an additional spec to Hunters, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    I think DKs are a valid class because they would have been rough to add as a 4th spec to any existing class.

Monks, on the other hand, could have been added as an additional spec to rogues, Bards could be an additional spec to rogues, and Demon Hunters could be an additional spec to Hunters, etc.
    Omg. Can you imagine the tears if someone elses class got another spec but yours did not? Adding a whole new class is the best way to do it. Balance issues aside i really liked how it was done with dks. Monks seem to have a less compelling story. At least for me. *shrug*
    Being constructive feels good. You should try it.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    monks is, well, was a mistake. nothing special, no definite lore, 3 different specs, hardening the balance, no point how to kill em, exceptional mobility, pretty good cc for all specs, exceptional saves, exceptional damage...and now they buffing em just becasue noone wants to play a monk and bother with new power system and new abilities....as a result rest classes will suffer a good half of incoming season until they see that monk representation increasing --> nerfing em. Ring of Peace is severe melee nerf, escpecially those onew who rely on casting melee attacks...the problem of wow is this game has no competitors..if they do, major pvp problems would've been solved months ago, but they are free to expiriment with this, for example by inventing hell knows what...
    P.S.: Best monks are from Neverwinter NIghts, wow monks is pathetic shit.

What about a 4th spec? Imo this could be revolutionary in pve and pvp.For some classes just another view, for some others one entirely new playstyle.
    I know there is a topic for this idea with many ppl writing interesting ideas but as I am a Rift player atm (yes,I enjoy this game a lot) I can say that there are many ideas worth looking in order to give WoW's classes a 4th spec.BUT a 4th spec means (considering 10 classes atm) like x3 new "classes" so it will need hard work from Blizzard not to mess up.Finally I could say that since I am an old Blizzard gamer I wouldnt like to see more classes before at least Warcraft 4! Yes its about time to see a story that will suit the next xpac and not just a new Mambo-Jumbo evil from nowhere.

I agree with the OP, to be honest. Monks feel like an odd fit, or not a fit at all. They are a nice to have, not need to have class, really. I don't particularly feel that DKs suffered from that. With them, we had the holy warrior (Paladin), the berserker/neutral warrior (Warrior) and the "evil"/dark warrior (Death Knight).

What niche does the Monk fill other than Blizzard wanting to put them in because they're in D3 and because we're in an appropriate expansion. The devs are already saying that they aren't seeing a lot of people playing Monks, and I bet there's a reason for that. And the reason isn't that they are broken or overpowered, it's because they're an unnecessary addition.

I agree, these classes haven't added anything significant to the game. I remember very well when death knights were first introduced, I couldn't help but think a death knight was just a warrior with a new coat of paint. They performed the same basic functions but what really irked me was that it seemed a lot of warriors' long-standing problems had been "fixed" only in this new class (entering combat with resources, no stance/equipment requirements on abilities, buff ability generates resources instead of costing them, etc.). They (much later) did end up modernizing warriors, but I feel there is still very little distinction between the classes to this day. Both are a mongoloid lumberjack with next to no offtarget cc that's very difficult to get away from and does way too much damage.

Monks are just a stupid class. It seems like the entire concept was million yard ninja flight into twelve roly poly blinks and a demonic portal too because more mobility is good. I really don't see anything aside from that mobility that distinguishes them from other classes--I think the game is just too homogenized for new classes to have any significance at this point. To me, they really just seem like a why not sort of class more than anything.

Deleted
    Alot of the 10 classes are either , broken , got a broken spec, lack certain abilities, have broken spells, the balance is horrible for 10 classes why add 1 more? Makes NO sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Senathor View Post

Well, there are several reasons as to why these classes should'nt have been implemented, giving blizzard more work is one of them. Now, on the other hand, sticking to the same classes for 8 years doesn't sounds to profitable either.

I suppose both sides has it perks, yet imo i'd like em both to be gone tbh. More focus on the other important classes!

The introduction of dks went terribly wrong. They completely ruined competitive pvp in s5 and turned the game into a battle of rock paper scissors. There were a bunch of hard counters which made some match ups impossible

I have mixed feelings (mostly negative) on monks. They're just lacking in flavor, and I'm not sure if they're too roguish or shamanish.

Seriously should have added the tank spec to Shaman (cmon, you know the shaman community would wet themselves) and Heal spec to rogues (bard).

WW is pretty fun to play I admit, but it's just another energy + combo point leather class. Rogues and Ferals sigh at the gear competiton.

I dont find Monks particularly appealing visually. They have weapons but don't seem to use them??

Deleted
    They need to implant a new ranged physical class. And do a good job at new skills this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    They need to implant a new ranged physical class.
    THIS!
    monks being revoked by the community because they are just another melee/tank with pretty much the same toolset as any other melee/tank and just lack a stealth to be fist-fighting rogues. they even share an improved combo points system with rogues/ferals.

and even from the healing point of view they are nothing new and pretty much unneeded.

a class that is really missing is a ranged physical class (preferably using hunter weapons) without a pet.