Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if the OP's final build has been modified yet, however I would say.. Skip out on the "Gold" rating PSU. Unless it's the same price as a Bronze or Plus, it's usually a waste of money, and since we're trying to pinch pennies... yeah.

I also feel that an ESD bracelet is a waste of money, effort, time, and frustration.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Yeah that's why I suggested the ones I did, in the modified build.

I finally got some spare time to answer all the posts and update the OP!

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    You get thermal paste with the Hyper 212 evo.
    I know, but just thought about getting a higher quality one. :P

Also, did you have unlock the voltage on your GPU to get it to run at those clocks?

Quote Originally Posted by Fae View Post
    Thats not correct. Many games load lots of stuff real-time, WoW is a prime example of that kind of game. You do not have any loading screens when flying across a single continent, but do you actually think that all that data is loaded up in your RAM at once when you enter the world? Nope, it's being loaded as needed.

So a fast hard drive does actually affect in-game FPS. Not mentioning significant quality-of-life improvements for general work, browsing web and of course, starting applications and games.

You do not need to throw an SSD on top of your current build. Just get rid of the HDD for the time being. Suddenly, it's not such a big difference in price.
    Gotcha.

Problem is I can't find an SSD at that price to store all the stuff I've accumulated over the years, and I feel as if my HDD could use an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Fae View Post
    If your budget is really tight then you should probably not waste money on things such as modular PSU because all it does is looking pretty inside the case. Oh and as others said, SLI doesn't really make much sense (a single modern card is always a better upgrade) so there is no point in 750 W beast.
    True that, but nice cable management is a plus. Doesn't make too much of a difference should I decide to skip going with a modular PSU as there's next to nothing that I can spend that money on that will yield a decent enough performance boost afaik. Going with a lower wattage PSU could make a difference though.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post

-snip-
    Thanks a ton for that list!

It looks pretty damn good. I'm not all sold on the case, as I do like the additional features the Fractal Design Define R4/XL R2 brings as well as better performance both acoustically and thermally.

Same deal with the mobo. The Asrock Z77 Extreme4 has a 8+4 power phase design whereas the Pro3 "only" has a 4+1 as well as better overclocking potential overall. Only a bit more dough to get up to that sweetspot, so I think I'm gonna pony up and pay the extra expense for the additional features.

Problems might arise with the PSU and Define XL R2 though (it also "only" comes with a 3-year warranty). Due to the sheer size of the case, the 8-pin cable might not reach all the way up to the CPU connector and there's no extension cord bundled with the purchase of the case (thank you for the headsup Sweclockers). Probably gonna have to go with the Define R4 and order an additional Fractal Design 140mm R2 fan, as well as an attachable dust filter for the fan on the side panel. Else I could just order an extension cable and end up at basically the same price and performance.

So, in conclusion, this is what the order looks like right now...

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2048MB OC 3228 SEK
    CPU: Intel i5 3570k 1849 SEK
    CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 260 SEK
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 1189 SEK
    RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE LP 453 SEK
    PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W 80 + Bronze Modular 752 SEK
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 889 SEK
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM 550 SEK
    Storage: Samsung SSD Basic 840-Series 120GB 879 SEK
    Case fan: Fractal Design 140mm Silent Series R2 129 SEK
    Dust filter: SilverStone SST-FF141B140mm 45 SEK

Total: 10223 SEK

Either that or an XL R2 case with an extension cable.

So in retrospect, I essentially just switched around the PSU and added an SSD. More about that in the updated OP.

EDIT:

Well, the post in the OP is the current build I'm sticking to atm.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I don't know if the OP's final build has been modified yet, however I would say.. Skip out on the "Gold" rating PSU. Unless it's the same price as a Bronze or Plus, it's usually a waste of money, and since we're trying to pinch pennies... yeah.

I also feel that an ESD bracelet is a waste of money, effort, time, and frustration.
    Aye, all depends on the efficiency and price.

And well, I'd be more comfortable in my skin knowing that I didn't break any components due to some silly ESD.
    Last edited by smiff; 2013-02-25 at 08:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeper View Post
    It's not right, but it's not really frowned upon so much either. A man hits a woman and he's a terrible excuse for a human being and should be put in jail. A woman hits a man and the man is a wimp for feeling pain.

Either way, if you have a penis, you lose.

Quote Originally Posted by smiff View Post
    I know, but just thought about getting a higher quality one. :P
    The difference between the best and the worst thermal paste is maybe 2-3c. I don't think it is worth spending money on if you don't have to.

Also, did you have unlock the voltage on your GPU to get it to run at those clocks?
    No I haven't come around to unlocking it yet. I've been thinking about it though.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    The difference between the best and the worst thermal paste is maybe 2-3c. I don't think it is worth spending money on if you don't have to.

No I haven't come around to unlocking it yet. I've been thinking about it though.
    So... you won the silicone lottery, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeper View Post
    It's not right, but it's not really frowned upon so much either. A man hits a woman and he's a terrible excuse for a human being and should be put in jail. A woman hits a man and the man is a wimp for feeling pain.

Either way, if you have a penis, you lose.

So... you won the silicone lottery, eh?
    Well it is pretty far up there, seen another guy that manage to get his card up to 1385MHz before unlock and 1424MHz after unlock though.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted

So, in conclusion, this is what the order looks like right now...

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2048MB OC 3228 SEK
    CPU: Intel i5 3570k 1849 SEK
    CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 260 SEK
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 1189 SEK
    RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE LP 453 SEK
    PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W 80 + Bronze Modular 752 SEK
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 889 SEK
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM 550 SEK
    Storage: Samsung SSD Basic 840-Series 120GB 879 SEK
    Case fan: Fractal Design 140mm Silent Series R2 129 SEK
    Dust filter: SilverStone SST-FF141B140mm 45 SEK

Total: 10223 SEK