Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The Pick Order vs Calling Roles

I'm of the mind that the pick order, present in both draft and ranked games, decides who goes where. It's random(or at least chosen by elo or something) and at some point, everyone will be at the bottom rung of the ladder. This means that they'll have to actually fill in to better help the team's composition, as is encouraged by the Summoner's Code. You know, that attempt to keep folks honest and kind to other players that gets read about as much as a ToS agreement these days. Should I just continue as I have been, letting people who bitch about "stolen" roles know the pick order is the only deciding factor in who grabs what role? That calls have no meaning, and if you want something you should try and bargain for it in a civil manner?

Quote Originally Posted by MyLifeIsRandom View Post
    I'm of the mind that the pick order, present in both draft and ranked games, decides who goes where. It's random(or at least chosen by elo or something) and at some point, everyone will be at the bottom rung of the ladder. This means that they'll have to actually fill in to better help the team's composition, as is encouraged by the Summoner's Code. You know, that attempt to keep folks honest and kind to other players that gets read about as much as a ToS agreement these days. Should I just continue as I have been, letting people who bitch about "stolen" roles know the pick order is the only deciding factor in who grabs what role? That calls have no meaning, and if you want something you should try and bargain for it in a civil manner?
    You know this is League of Legends right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Calls have uses: if everyone calls every role, then pick order is irrelevant.
    Otherwise: If two (or more) people call the same role, then pick order decides who gets what.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually had a problem with this the other day, game started up, guy called jungle, my friend called Mid and I called top...

Everyone makes there pick, I see the guy before me(who hadn't said a word during the lane discussion) pick Zed, who niether me nor my friend considered a top lane champ (He's mid/Jungle right?), so I locked in Irelia...

The game starts and he's shouting in all for everyone to report me for taking a top lane champ, when he was going top, yet when I asked why he didn't speak up after I called toplane, he just said "stfu noob, I picked first"... Wierd thing was the people who'd called lanes agreed that if someone calls a lane then it's taken, but the two guys who HADN'T were both saying pick order takes precidence... so no one ended up with a frakkin clue what was going on.. I went top though... so I guess I win...

Just a shame I lost my lane

Won the game though
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Pick order > calls. Although it would be smart to try and take both into account (for example, avoiding pigeonholing someone into a role they're terrible at).

If it comes down to it and someone calls a role and an earlier pick wants it, should just be a simple "sorry I'm going to go x" and that be it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then there's also the problem of the "MID OR FEED" guys. Assuming they will actually feed if they don't get their role, that is.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    Then there's also the problem of the "MID OR FEED" guys. Assuming they will actually feed if they don't get their role, that is.
    If they feed, report them for intentionally feeding. If they aren't assigned mid during character selection, pick a mid champion and then go mid, leaving another role free, report them for refusing to communicate with the team, and note the player's actions during character select in your report.

Don't see the problem with those kind of people.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit
    You know this is League of Legends right?
    What can I say? I'm hopeful and optimistic to a fault, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert
    Calls have uses: if everyone calls every role, then pick order is irrelevant.
    Otherwise: If two (or more) people call the same role, then pick order decides who gets what.
    I've never seen everyone call every role. Even then, the pick order decides who gets what they want. Loosely as it may be, it's the only enforceable method of champion selection. That being that the person who's been made last pick can't pick a top lane champ before the first pick fellow. I always go by and try to help get people to heed the pick order, be it first or last that I end up as.

@Gallahadd

That's an instance where they had the right, but went about it poorly. Zed is played often top lane and in the jungle, though he's likely to be very valid in mid lane too. I usually let people know that I'm going with whatever I've chosen if I'm first pick. (I play a lot of jungle and support, and may wrongly have a sense of entitlement to something different than those.)

Quote Originally Posted by esoterickk
    Pick order > calls. Although it would be smart to try and take both into account (for example, avoiding pigeonholing someone into a role they're terrible at).

If it comes down to it and someone calls a role and an earlier pick wants it, should just be a simple "sorry I'm going to go x" and that be it.
    100% how I deal with it. Everyone seems so adverse to playing support. I play the role quite often myself, though I have been getting bored with it fairly quickly these days due to what I can only assume is repeat exposure. Thing is though, whenever I do say, "Sorry, I'm handling mid lane/the jungle/top lane." I'm called fag, asshole, prick, etc. and MERCILESSLY insulted before the game even starts. Then I'm accused of the tantrum...

I usually try to respect calls over pick order, to allow people to play the role they most enjoy or are best at. In the case of two or more people calling the same role, earlier pick gets priority.

In a perfect world, the team could work out "top>mid>jungle>support>ad, please" and be able to say "well, I want to play top, but only top and AD are left and they're really bad at AD and AD is my second best, so I'll play AD."

10+ Year Old Account
    Usually people respect the calls. I know I do, and I rarely don't get my choice of lane. Sometimes however people do play by pick order. Normally they are completely silent and just insta-lock the lane they want (then proceed to lose it). I saw one today and since I was last pick I ended up support. The insta-locker fed top and lost as Yorick, I won bot lane with my ADC but we lost the game due to Yorick being so behind and everyone getting caught out. I died more times trying to save one of the idiots on my team than initiating actual teamfights.

IMO for myself its Calls > pick order, because unless someone is just plain terrible at the game, the role they call should be their best and in the end I want to win. If two people want the same role, pick order can decide that for them.

Deleted
    That's why I play support and let all kind of retards to have their tops and mids.
    OT: pick>call,unless team is normal and can work it out like normal people.

even in ranked i try to listen to ppl calling first, i usually let the (idiotic) teammates decide what they want then ill pick after (support or jungle)

in normal i usualy try and call out the role im going :P
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

I have an exceedingly poor PC and load in after everyone else most of the time, so when it came to ranked I was usually the very last to call anyway which resulted in me being stuck as support 90% of the time.

Eventually after playing it so often, being stuck with it as the only option I had and getting proficient at the role it ended up being the role I called every time upon joining a lobby, now I tend to try not to let others play it. Luckily being a support player generally people won't call my role, but usually I'd obey the pick order anyway.

ne porvivajo nur mortigi tempo

Quote Originally Posted by Farolok View Post
    I have an exceedingly poor PC and load in after everyone else most of the time, so when it came to ranked I was usually the very last to call anyway which resulted in me being stuck as support 90% of the time.

Eventually after playing it so often, being stuck with it as the only option I had and getting proficient at the role it ended up being the role I called every time upon joining a lobby, now I tend to try not to let others play it. Luckily being a support player generally people won't call my role, but usually I'd obey the pick order anyway.
    Feel ya, sometime you call first in your chat then they break your heart saying they called before -.-

Quote Originally Posted by esoterickk View Post

Personally I see calling as a means to express preference. Prefered positions usually have better results, so why contest if you can play multiple positions really well and some other guy can't. So when I enter a game I always say "Jungle prefered". And if some other guy wants jungle, I'll give it to him and just do something else. What irks me, are the guys that don't say a word and then just pick a position, then say that pick order matters most.

Either side of the coin, when abused, it's just another way of saying you're looking for a fight. (Which will result in a bad game)

Usually, people who instacall/lock things end up sucking balls. But on the other hand, people who never call anything are also bad.

I had to play Caitlyn once because someone wanted me to pick ADC for them, I picked Caitlyn because someone said in chat "Caitlyn is good", then a whole TWENTY SECONDS after I'm locked in, the dude says "would like Draven or Sivir plz".

At least the upside to meeting these randoms is that usually, you don't meet them again.

Meh,

I play any role. I rock up and get any lane or jungle I care not.

If I duo with my mate we often do the bot lane together. Dust off blitscrank and let the good times roll.

Deleted
    Pick order goes first imo.

But one can always try to get the lane they want, by asking, or saying that they prefer it, in order to come to agreements.

But when last pick calls mid, and rages the fuck out when someone else takes it, makes me facepalm so hard.. Go back to blind pick please.

10+ Year Old Account
    im best at support>ad>mid.. i cant do top at all, and i totally suck at the jungle thing. i dont get it. so i always try to say that in the lobby. if i cant have one of those 3 roles, ill just leave queue. i dunno, i think its better to try to work things out regardless of what pick order it is, so that players can have what they feel more comfy with. work together, its a team game... right?
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Normally Pick order>Call order (in draft/ranked) cause well, there is a pick order. If people call role's then a lot of people WILL respect that. With the occasionally bitching about I CALLED FIRST, I AM IN PROMOTION AND DON'T TRUST YOU MID.

Then again, most fp's are mid (or top) anyway in lower elo...
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Strip naked, cover myself in butter and go kick some ass