Fire Mage PVP Bomb choice

Hey guys,

i respeced back to fire for pvp for 5.2 mainly cause i just like it and also cause scorch will be now comming for free for fire mages. So we get 1 more talent to chose from.

What i am wondering:

Im running with nether tempest and it constantly brakes all ccs on other targets. Is this supposed to be this way. I mean i see many mages use the same bomb and also guides recommend it but somehow it feels unpractical not to be ables use cc cause of my nether tempest bomb. What am i doing wrong?

Also i see many use frostjaw. How is frostjaw superior to RoF? For me DB and RoF seems like a really nice combo. (Both have cast time, both freeze the target...)

Cheers

Well, for frostjaw I use it to get an additional silence. And silences are powerful.

Most mages choose NT for PvP because it allows you to maintain constant pressure on the move, which is essential when being trained (happens a lot to us). Frankly, all of the mage bombs can break CC, depending on proximity. NT just has a higher incidence because it ticks much more frequently.

As for Frostjaw, having an extra silence comes in handy, especially against healers. The fact that is also freezes the target is an added bonus. It's quite useful against other mages, as it prevents them from blinking out. DB -> RoF provides great control, but it's getting easier to avoid.

That being said, I find Ice Ward to be pretty incredible for gaining distance against melee, especially stealth openers. It's like having a 2nd frost nova (or 3rd, if you're frost).

All in all, that entire tier has its uses. Pick whichever one you feel works best.

Quote Originally Posted by PPN View Post
    Hey guys,

i respeced back to fire for pvp for 5.2 mainly cause i just like it and also cause scorch will be now comming for free for fire mages. So we get 1 more talent to chose from.

What i am wondering:

Im running with nether tempest and it constantly brakes all ccs on other targets. Is this supposed to be this way. I mean i see many mages use the same bomb and also guides recommend it but somehow it feels unpractical not to be ables use cc cause of my nether tempest bomb. What am i doing wrong?

Also i see many use frostjaw. How is frostjaw superior to RoF? For me DB and RoF seems like a really nice combo. (Both have cast time, both freeze the target...)

Cheers
    Fire PvP should be fun in 5.2 (it already is!)

I use living Bomb, mainly because it boosts the damage of your other fire spells (incl. Pyro) by 10%. It also fits the theme of the spec!

With regards to Frostjaw, I use and love it. It has tremendous Synergy with Dragon's Breath (they have the same CD). Using it you can lock down casters for so long, and its very handy against melee as well.

Its weakness is it is not AoE like Ring, so against stuff like Stampede its not quite as good. Its also not as good as Ring vs Ferals, as they can just Shapeshift out of the root, which they cant do to a ring freeze.

You can unleash some amazing combos with it, while completely locking someone down though. Imo both Ring and FJ are very strong talents.

The mages you see using nether tempest are most probably frost. It works well when mass dotting and getting heaps of procs. Some mages like frost jaw, some like RoF. I like frostjaw because its easier and more simple to use. You should watch videos on youtube as well. A guy called Hansol (username azncoolz) is a BEAST at fire. I get inspiration and tips from him. Great guy and helpful videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryft View Post
    I use living Bomb, mainly because it boosts the damage of your other fire spells (incl. Pyro) by 10%.
    I assume you're talking about Pyromaniac, which is actually applied by all of the mage bombs, not just LB.

Quote Originally Posted by Azden7d7 View Post
    I assume you're talking about Pyromaniac, which is actually applied by all of the mage bombs, not just LB.
    Yes I was - and I didn't know that all of the bombs did that!

Deleted
    It used to be a talent in the Fire tree once upon a time when there was ONLY Living Bomb ;P