Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Optimal profession(s) for Ele/Resto.

I've only recently begun playing my shaman, and decided to make him my main alt. Currently he's 5/16H and it's time to start getting more serious. I'm currently running Inscription and was wondering what the most optimal secondary profesion would be. I've checked EJ guides but didn't see anything on professions. I was wondering if anyone could provide insight on what profession would net me the higest DPS gain output. (I know it won't be major, but still any increase, is an increase). Thanks.

Jewelcrafting is always good, extra gems with more stats than any other gems. Blacksmithing is good too but a pain in the ass to level, it lets you add sockets to your gloves and bracers. Alchemy's nice cause you can make your own flasks and whenever you use flasks they have double the duration. Also, alchemist rejuvenation potions which restore 120k health and 30k mana are cool too Then there's engineering which has tinkers that give haste, super speed from rocket boots... LW with special enhancements plus you can craft your own gear. Really, every profession has it's benefits so it's just up to you to decide on which one you want.

Every non-gathering profession gives you the same benefit in terms of average intellect gained. Theoretically though, engineering (and tailoring, though to a lesser extent because you can't control the proc) are a tiny bit better because the synapse springs tinker on use can be lined up with other cooldowns to make them more powerful. However if you sit on the tinker and don't use it often, the value of engineering goes down, whereas with the other professions you always have their bonus the whole time.

Elemental isn't one of the specs that favors secondary stat gems so thankfully you are not penalized for not picking BS.
    Engi/Tailor>everything>herb/skinning/mining
    Hi Sephurik

15+ Year Old Account
    Engineering/tailoring.

I currently use Herbalism. It isn't all that bad IMO, 2880 haste for 20 seconds on a 2 min cooldown is rather nice, and it lets me pick my own herbs for alchemy.

Engi is 1920 haste for 10 seconds on a 1 min cooldown, which is nice for more overall haste but if you trigger it at the wrong time it can mess with your cooldowns easily (or not be up for the proper time). Also it only lasts 10 seconds where Ascendance lasts 15 seconds, so there are 5 seconds where you do not have the haste effect.

JC is nice for the static stat increase, and for those that don't like to manage cooldowns is a much easier choice (much like blacksmithing) and offers a half decent money maker

Warrior - Twitch - Twitter Sig by: Isilrien

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix19 View Post
    I currently use Herbalism. It isn't all that bad IMO, 2880 haste for 20 seconds on a 2 min cooldown is rather nice, and it lets me pick my own herbs for alchemy.

Engi is 1920 haste for 10 seconds on a 1 min cooldown, which is nice for more overall haste but if you trigger it at the wrong time it can mess with your cooldowns easily (or not be up for the proper time). Also it only lasts 10 seconds where Ascendance lasts 15 seconds, so there are 5 seconds where you do not have the haste effect.

JC is nice for the static stat increase, and for those that don't like to manage cooldowns is a much easier choice (much like blacksmithing) and offers a half decent money maker
    Eng would be 1920 int, not haste:

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=126731

OP:

One downside to the glove tinker from eng is it counts as a trinket effect, so you can't macro it in with another equipped trinket. It can be macroed with racials, though.

BS allows you to gem for additional spirit in your gear, or any other secondary stat were they to become more desireable.

Tailoring cloak enchant doesn't stack with the standard enchant, but it's much stronger, albeit a proc. Also allows you to cheaply produce your own leg enchants.

The other professions (minus gathering professions) are effectively equal. I use Alchemy and Inscription. I had LW and Engineering throughout Wrath and at the start of Cata, but the cost of buying the mats became brutal. For alch and inscription, though, 525-600 for both was like 2.5k gold on my server, heh.

You would get away with herbalism if you're primarily ele, but as we get more and more haste from gear, the on use becomes less and less valuable. Crit from skinning isn't quite as bad as it once was. Mining...no. It's faceroll easy to level so have an alt for it.
    Last edited by Kazgrel; 2013-02-25 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Clarification

Good ol' Enchanting and Alchemy

As long as you take 2 crafting professions it shouldn't matter too much, they are all balanced to give you approximately the same bonus. I personally think engineering and any of the other crafting profs make a good combo as you get a flat bonus from the other profs and engi gives you an extra little cooldown that's quite nice.

15+ Year Old Account
    For elemental it doesn't really matter which crafting professions do you have, all of them basically give the same 320 int. Engineer and Tailor have their own pros and cons with the proc/use mechanic.

For resto, blacksmithing and tailoring are the best. You can maximize secondary stats with those.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Well that makes me sad, didnt it used to be haste on the Engi gloves?

And when did BS get changed from 2 extra whatever sockets to secondary stats only?

I really do enjoy having engineering on my Sham, syapse spring is awsome just sucks that it places ur on use trink on CD. But the only thing i do hate about eng is the backfires from nitro boots it really makes using it while in a raid a pain especially since it will kill you if your're not a full health. I wonder if any1 knows the backfire rate on those

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that makes me sad, didnt it used to be haste on the Engi gloves?

And when did BS get changed from 2 extra whatever sockets to secondary stats only?
    Int is better, why would you be sad? It didn't get changed. They're saying you can use secondary stats because the bonus is sockets.

---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 09:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SamoTray View Post
    I really do enjoy having engineering on my Sham, syapse spring is awsome just sucks that it places ur on use trink on CD. But the only thing i do hate about eng is the backfires from nitro boots it really makes using it while in a raid a pain especially since it will kill you if your're not a full health. I wonder if any1 knows the backfire rate on those
    You can't safely use them in raids. The backfire rate is pretty low, but it only takes once to fuck you.
    Last edited by Eruionmel; 2013-02-26 at 09:21 PM.

| PM Signature Requests: Closed | My Work | Signature Tutorial |

It makes me sad that the game I remember has changed and I sound like a noob again

I was thinking of changing herbalism on my shaman to BS or Engi, now just not sure what one to go with. An on demand Int seems nice, but the passive int increase from BS appeals to my lazier side haha

---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 01:27 PM ----------

It used to backfire a whole lot in cata on my hunter.

---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 01:28 PM ----------

Do they still have the parachute as a useable item for engi's? I remember having to macro that to my disengage for better escape and would always have it ready when I used my boots lol

10+ Year Old Account
    It makes me sad that the game I remember has changed and I sound like a noob again

I was thinking of changing herbalism on my shaman to BS or Engi, now just not sure what one to go with. An on demand Int seems nice, but the passive int increase from BS appeals to my lazier side haha

Do they still have the parachute as a useable item for engi's? I remember having to macro that to my disengage for better escape and would always have it ready when I used my boots lol
    If you're lazy, just macro the tinker into your LvB. It's a one minute CD, so it still lines up with ascendance. Keeping it separate is better if you can remember to use it as soon as it's off CD, but the LvB trick works if you're lazy/inattentive.

The explosion backfire isn't the problem (goblin glider takes care of it). The problem is the rocket fuel leak that does 70% of you max health over something like 5 seconds. In the middle of a raid, it can absolutely kill you. I only use mine for running back after wipes.

So if you had to choose between the static bonus of BS or the on-demand bonus of Engi, what would you go with? (I plan on keeping alchemy)

Quote Originally Posted by Eruionmel View Post
    If you're lazy, just macro the tinker into your LvB. It's a one minute CD, so it still lines up with ascendance. Keeping it separate is better if you can remember to use it as soon as it's off CD, but the LvB trick works if you're lazy/inattentive.

The explosion backfire isn't the problem (goblin glider takes care of it). The problem is the rocket fuel leak that does 70% of you max health over something like 5 seconds. In the middle of a raid, it can absolutely kill you. I only use mine for running back after wipes.
    I do that too but having it backfire when u re enter the instance and it kills you again just pisses me the hell off

---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 01:51 PM ----------

yea back in cata it just used to blow into the air which was perfectly fine im an eng i have a parachute 4 such occassions. but 60k ticks a sec is way to much dmg i rarely use them in raids at all anymore unless its to avoid a mechanic i know i wont b able to avoid other wise which is really rare for me now a days

10+ Year Old Account
    So if you had to choose between the static bonus of BS or the on-demand bonus of Engi, what would you go with? (I plan on keeping alchemy)
    Absolutely engi. I dropped alchemy for engineering this expansion.

---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 10:20 PM ----------

I do that too but having it backfire when u re enter the instance and it kills you again just pisses me the hell off

---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 01:51 PM ----------

yea back in cata it just used to blow into the air which was perfectly fine im an eng i have a parachute 4 such occassions. but 60k ticks a sec is way to much dmg i rarely use them in raids at all anymore unless its to avoid a mechanic i know i wont b able to avoid other wise which is really rare for me now a days
    All you gotta do is drop a HST and HS yourself once and you should be safe. You're at 50% when you come in, and it does 70% damage. So you only need to heal about 80k damage to be safe.

With how well Enhance scales with haste, would keeping herbalism be worth it as enhance?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive recently took Alchemy and Tailoring simply because they are the only 2 profession wich you can have on your toon that gives you either int or spirit. Alchemy gives you improved flask, wich depends on the flask you use (spirit or int). And Tailoring, you can switch your cloak enchent to give you a nice int or spirit proc. Depending on my role in raid (im often the third healer when theres need), i simply switch flask/cloak enchent.

---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 11:38 PM ----------

With how well Enhance scales with haste, would keeping herbalism be worth it as enhance?
    It would not, as the value of agi is higher then any proc you can get (when streamlined depending on their cooldowns).