Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by svenforkbeard View Post
    he had a previous conviction for speeding, it didnt stop him doing it again. Read the article.
    it doesn't go into detail but id assume there was no rehabilitation attempted only punishment which didn't seem to work did it. but that's not what punishment is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocking View Post
    Because these two scenarios are so similar. Oh wait, they totally are not.

Spinning a shotgun around is not against the law. Going twice the limit is.
    Going twice the speed limit is a small ticket. Let's add that they were doing this in a backyard then, in a state where firing guns in your backyard is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I believe in rehabilitation and bettering people, not throwing them in jail to punish them and punish them, because hey, we want to punish you! They know they did bad, the world knows they did bad, they are already being punished, what needs to be addressed is FIXING the issue, which isn't fixed by throwing them in jail for 10 years.
    The issue wont be fixed by putting him in rehab...Its just a waste of gov money. At least if hes locked up he wont be killing anymore innocent people.

Two counts of manslaughter is worth 2 years?

Man, i hope you never become a judge...
    Judges should be able to see differences in situations and use discretion in the sentences, not automatically say "manslaughter, 10+ years". So I'd say he could perhaps be a reasonable judge in this situation.

Going twice the speed limit is a small ticket. Let's add that they were doing this in a backyard then, in a state where firing guns in your backyard is illegal.
    Again, these two scenarios are completely different. What are you even trying to accomplish here?

Just want to point out to people after that discussion near the start of this thread.

Claiming you know what he "deserves" to be punished with, is calling out for vengeance. The courts deemed the punishment necessary was the one given, and thus he will serve out his punishment to society for his crime in the form of 8 months in jail and a suspended licence.

If you want him to have more, you are not asking for punishment, you are asking for vengeance.

The issue wont be fixed by putting him in rehab...Its just a waste of gov money. At least if hes locked up he wont be killing anymore innocent people.
    Being locked up isn't a waste of government money? It costs around $32,000 a year to keep an inmate in prison, which is more than the average salary in the United States. You can rehab a motherfucker for less than that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by syn1k View Post
    it doesn't go into detail but id assume
    since the article doesn't say I'd rather not assume, and if I did assume, I probably wouldn't do it just to push my agenda

10+ Year Old Account
    YOU DO UNDERSTAND LOCKING HIM UP COSTS MONEY RIGHT? How is society any safer locking him up instead of simply taking away his license.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Right tell that to all the European jails who usually focus on rehab, and have far fewer returns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cherb View Post
    Judges should be able to see differences in situations and use discretion in the sentences, not automatically say "manslaughter, 10+ years". So I'd say he could perhaps be a reasonable judge in this situation.
    Presumably the judge took into account the regret shown at the time of the accident when sentencing.

Going twice the speed limit is a small ticket.
    Is it? Maybe in the UK, which I guess is relevant for this case, but in the US doing 30 MPH over the speed limit isn't a small ticket at all and going 20+ MPH over the speed limit can land you in jail (at the police officers discretion and in Texas at least).

EUROPE:

Lower jail sentences
    More linient compared to USA
    Fewer returns
    Focus on rehab

USA:
    Focus on punishment
    Harsher jail times
    High return rate

Yet at some point some people from the USA have the NERVE to tell Europe "You're doing it wrong!!! Those jail sentences are nothing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Presumably the judge took into account the regret shown at the time of the accident when sentencing.
    More likely realised that he was a Football player. Ka-ching.

10+ Year Old Account
    More likely realised that he was a Football player. Ka-ching.
    He was on a youth contract - I earn more money than he does.

So what if two people are dead? Is ruining his life going to make them come back? I would say he should get no longer than 2 years, what exactly would be the point? He wasn't committing a felony, like a murder, or thievery now was he?[COLOR="red"]
    So wait? Thievery is worse than manslaughter? When did this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by cherb View Post
    And others here make it sound like a guy who was driving too fast falls into the ballpark of Timothy McVeigh
    Just because others are too radical on the other side of the fence isn't justification for you to be too radical on your side of the fence.

Two friends, one of them spinning around a shotgun accidentally shoots his friend, how long should he get? I didn't think I would need to add the fact the guns were being handled with negligence, I thought people would use their brains, apparently you failed to. This happened due to negligence after all.
    Unlike your previous scenario, this one is negligence (although somewhat shaky). In this case, shooting the friend is minor negligence compared to the gross negligence involved in speeding 60 in a 30 zone with reckless driving (racing). This should be sentenced according to minor negligence (legally, probably not considered criminal negligence). This also depends on whether the friend presses charges (or whether the state prosecutes regardless). Morally/practically I'd be inclined to say up to 3 years in jail, minus reparations made and depending on whether the friend dies.

What you clearly don't understand is that driving a car is akin to operating a two ton sledge hammer. Speeding and reckless driving is akin to recklessly swinging around a two ton sledge hammer.

Unlike yours, my arguments have been clear, thought out and follow reasoning and logic. In addition, my stance considers both sides of the equation. In your case, you only consider the plight of the perpetrator. Those arguing for an excessively heavy penalty are only considering the victims. Both partisan views are bad ways to approach arbitration, but your methodology is clearly the worst in this thread since its based solely on deep-seated emotion.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-02-28 at 09:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    EUROPE:

Lower jail sentences
    Fewer returns
    Focus on rehab

USA:
    Focus on punishment
    Harsher jail times
    High return rate

Yet at some point some people from the USA have the NERVE to tell Europe "You're doing it wrong!!! Those jail sentences are nothing!"
    I guess its a good thing they didn't jail him for his past speeding or this would count as a return

EUROPE:

Lower jail sentences
    Fewer returns
    Focus on rehab

USA:
    Focus on punishment
    Harsher jail times
    High return rate

I like how Europeans always like to wave around how they're superior to the US, but no evidence is used to support the stance. Every once in awhile, there are some numbers dug up in favor of Europe, but the poster always ignores all of confounding factors.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-02-28 at 09:37 PM.

So what if two people are dead? Is ruining his life going to make them come back? I would say he should get no longer than 2 years, what exactly would be the point? He wasn't committing a felony, like a murder, or thievery now was he?[COLOR="red"]
    Two people are dead and more injured because of pure stupidity that could have been avoided with a bit of common sense. Those families are scarred forever, but the worst this young man will face a few months in jail, and you can pretty much bet he will be out sooner than that on 'good behavior'.

It isn't like this person was driving the limit on super slippery winter roads, lost control and hit some people in a sidewalk as a result. With signs posted of speed limits he chose to blatantly disregard them and this is the result. Such a short sentence insulting to the families and the deceased to say the least. A min of 5 years with a loss of his license for at minimum 10 years seems far more reasonable. The debate of he has to live with it forever could be brought up, but with how many people are, it's very possible once this is over he will think nothing of it.

And rehabilitation is pointless in far too many cases and doesn't do anything to make people better. How exactly can the system rehabilitate stupidity?