Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Diablo III: Help me upgrade my barbar please.

Hey

So I've had a loong break from this game, and came back yesterday.
    But to be honest, I got no clue about what stats to go for, or what abilities I should use x]

https://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/...8/hero/1167433

Got the weapons dirt cheap on bids, I think I spent 100k for both x] Dunno if they are good though.

All tips and tricks are welcome

(Or maybe a link to some site I can check up on guides and stuff, tried google but for some reason I ended up on stupid buy diablo gold/items sites..)
    Last edited by Noxina; 2013-03-01 at 07:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    Really any class gearing can come down to basic premises. You have your weapons, and while they can be better, I'll skip them. All iI can say there, is that you need a specific type of weapon to go along with whatever buff you want from Weapon Master, and I think a lot of people go mace. All in all, it's all about how much you're willing to spend on each piece. You can set a max price on each piece in the auction house

Boots = strength, vitality, all resist. Movement speed if you want. You might be able to find a cheap pair of Fire Walkers
    Legs = Strength, vitality, all resist, sockets. Try to find some with high vitality and three sockets.
    Belt = Same as boots, without the movement speed. You can also get life% on them. And barbarian-specific belts have life steal, so try to get a high one there (max 3$)
    Chest = same as legs, but also has life% that can spawn from it
    rings = strength, crit chance, crit damage, attacks speed, average damage. Average damage is probably more important than your main stat, for flat damage.
    Head = strength, vitality, all resist, crit chance, socket. Need the socket for life% bonus, or XP bonus if you're ok on life. However, your Immortal Kings set covers this, as well as belt and other places.
    Gloves, amulet, bracers, shoulders = gloves and amulets work the same as rings, it's your high-dps gear slots. Though gloves can't have average damage. Bracers and shoulders you need strength, vitality, and all resist. Bracers have the added bonus of crit chance, which caps at 6%. You can probably find a decent Vile Ward for cheap, nowadays, but I've lumped all these into the same spot for a reason. With 1.0.7, the new crafting patterns (archon x of x) offer a decent chance of upgrades, and automatically roll high main stat. They are also cheap patterns in the auction house, if you're not up to farm them. They all take one Demonic essence alongside other materials. Demonic essence have a chance to drop off elite groups, which is raised by higher MP levels. I think the base chance is 20%, though that could be wrong. With your gear, you could craft some easy upgrades, because you have no crit chance, crit damage, or attack speed on your gear.

I would suggest looking up barbarian budget builds on Youtube. The newest one I found was this one, but they all seem to be specific to Whirlwind spec, and I don't know if gear really changes much for each different ability setup. They might be outdated for 1.0.7, but the premise is the same, just with a new option of crafting your own gloves, bracers, amulet, and shoulders (and chest but the pattern is sold by a vendor in Act 2 and damned expensive).
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-03-01 at 08:16 AM.

Great thanks!
    My girlfriend is out of town for the weekend, so I'll get alot of farming done, and hopefully some decent drops/AH buys
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Lets see.
    I suggest you to switch to whirlwind spec as fast as possible, because it is basically the only spec for barbarian that allows you to farm gear and experience really fast. You need 40%+ crit for it and some attack speed as well. Be sure that your offhand speed is at least 2.0 and mainhand 1.86. (you can check your weapon's speed in the game by unequipping and then re-equipping weapons, the "attack speed" number in your char details will show you the speed of the weapon that stayed on your character).

Now some cheap but good solutions for you:
    Helm: Immortal king helm. 5.5+ Crit, 180+STR, 10%+ life, socket. As cheap as 50k using bid.
    Chest: Blackthorne's Surcoat. 200+vit, 75+ allres, 3 sockets. 50-200k bid.
    Legs: Blackthorne's Jousting Mail: 150+ str +100 vit or 90 str + 150 vit, 350+ lph, 10+ life%, 2 sockets, MF. And most important +100 vitality from set bonus. 50-200k bid.
    Belt: immortal king's belt - 195str, 75% allres, 3% lifesteal - 50k buyout.
    boots: immortal king's boots - 100 str, 100 vit, 75 allres, 12% movement speed. (and +60 allres from 2p set). You can buy a pair for 5k using bid.
    Bracers: Lacuni prawlers - 95 str, 9% attack speed, 12% movement speed. 50k buyout. You choose this one because you need 24% movement speed for fast farming.

Amulet, shoulders, gloves: craft one. Focus on dps and all resist, you'll get enough vitality from blackthorne set.

If you go for ww spec than
    Mainhand: echoing fury with a lot of dps and if possible some crit damage , offhand: dagger(ideally), or sword/mighty weap/axe with 100+str, crit damage, life steal and socket (dps on this weapon is not important).

Using this simple strategy you'll get 40-45k HP, 60k+ dps and enough survivability to begin farming one of the act3 mp1 farming routes. 500k budget is usually enough if you play smart and can wait 15-30 minutes to win items using bid.
    Last edited by traen; 2013-03-01 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    Lets see.
    I suggest you to switch to whirlwind spec as fast as possible, because it is basically the only spec for barbarian that allows you to farm gear and experience really fast. You need 40%+ crit for it and some attack speed as well. Be sure that your offhand speed is at least 2.0 and mainhand 1.86. (you can check your weapon's speed in the game by unequipping and then re-equipping weapons, the "attack speed" number in your char details will show you the speed of the weapon that stayed on your character).

Now some cheap but good solutions for you:
    Helm: Immortal king helm. 5.5+ Crit, 180+STR, 10%+ life, socket. As cheap as 50k using bid.
    Chest: Blackthorne's Surcoat. 200+vit, 75+ allres, 3 sockets. 50-200k bid.
    Legs: Blackthorne's Jousting Mail: 150+ str +100 vit or 90 str + 150 vit, 350+ lph, 10+ life%, 2 sockets, MF. And most important +100 vitality from set bonus. 50-200k bid.
    Belt: immortal king's belt - 195str, 75% allres, 3% lifesteal - 50k buyout.
    boots: immortal king's boots - 100 str, 100 vit, 75 allres, 12% movement speed. (and +60 allres from 2p set). You can buy a pair for 5k using bid.
    Bracers: Lacuni prawlers - 95 str, 9% attack speed, 12% movement speed. 50k buyout. You choose this one because you need 24% movement speed for fast farming.

Amulet, shoulders, gloves: craft one. Focus on dps and all resist, you'll get enough vitality from blackthorne set.

Mainhand: echoing fury with a lot of dps and if possible some crit damage , offhand: dagger(ideally), or sword/mighty weap/axe with 100+str, crit damage, life steal and socket (dps on this weapon is not important).

Using this simple strategy you'll get 40-45k HP, 60k+ dps and enough survivability to begin farming one of the act3 mp1 farming routes. 500k budget is usually enough if you play smart and can wait 15-30 minutes to win items using bid.
    Yeah I'm trying WW build now, it works pretty decent.
    Got some problems maintaining the duration on the Avatar-ish thing that I forgot the name of now... :P But other than that it got some great survability with LoH and such.
    And I've farmed about 500k today, got no idea how to farm quicker.. Just running Inferno stuff, and selling yellow crap items to the vendor :P

Deleted
    Why Echoing Fury in the main hand? I don't think the fear is any help, actually it's rather annoying.

Better get a good main hand mace and use Echoing Fury in off-hand imo.

I am sitting at about 240k dps as a WWBarb now a days, not sure of that is avg in todays game but its not bad. A suggestion about weapons.

For your mainhand do not use an Echoing Fury, you want that in your offhand.

For MH i suggest a Sun Keeper (strength - socket - lifesteal - comes with 40% plus MF) Go with a Ruby gem in it to make the top end larger. A 950 dps one with that gem makes the dps 1150 -1200ish.

Get an Echo of Fury for offhand. The .21-25 aps on it directly affects your MH and also makes your APS a static speed. Get one with crit damage and a socket and of course strength. Since I suspect you may have gold issues you may need to get one in the 750-825 dps ranges which is still a good benefit. Use a crit dam one it...90% at least but again I am not sure of your gold amount.

I find this combination is working very well for me. I have spend a shit ton of gold (wasted a lot) by going back and forth from diff specs and gear set ups. This works well and the ticks (tornados) come fast and hit hard.

You could also go with a Skorn (2H) as a WWBarb, not as good as the above set up, but you can get those a lot cheaper for a decent one. Get a Skorn with the following base stats:

250+ Str

185% plus crit dam

Highest dps you can afford

Do not worry about life steal on it, you can use an IK belt and a talent to get to 6% easy

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Why Echoing Fury in the main hand? I don't think the fear is any help, actually it's rather annoying.

Better get a good main hand mace and use Echoing Fury in off-hand imo.
    The answer is easy: money! Or... gold in our case. Do you really think that a new player can afford to buy echoing fury with 100+str, life steal, crit damage and socket?

Make some simple calculations. Echoing fury+rare offhand will be worth much less than rare mainhand+echoing fury. Up to half a billion per weapon, I guess. Obviously I'm talking about equal tornadoes damage, not the dps that is shown on your character screen, for ww spec this number is irrelevant.

Echoing fury is extraordinary good as mainhand because it increases the offhand speed. 1.5 dagger becomes 1.74 and tornadoes from such fast weapon tick like crazy, destroying everything they hit and providing you unlimited rage and lifesteal.

Fear is damn annoying. But if you do your farming right, and by right I mean non-stop running from elite pack to another elite pack, letting the tornadoes finish off everything behind you, you won't notice much difference.
    If you play on higher MP, like keys farming for example, fear is very annoying. But that's the price you have to pay for cheaper weapons with higher dps.

The first thing to focus on is more crit, you have like 10%, which means into the fray isnt proccing enough to keep big boy mode up. Swap your main hand to an axe or mace for the 10% crit chance on weps master.

Bk swords are for more advanced builds (need gear) and use no fury generator (bash). It takes some gear and understanding of the class to make it work.

I agree, echoing fury is annoying as hell, the first time you do the a1 key guy or another molten is where you figure this out, unless you like standing in fire while he walks away.

Yeah, my gold is loooow x] Thinking about selling the weapons I got now and get atleast a Echo of Fury, got another polearm with some LoH and 1.1k dps in the bank. Anyone know what those two swords are worth? (Those I got equipped)
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/H...8/hero/1167433

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    Get an Echo of Fury for offhand. The .21-25 aps on it directly affects your MH and also makes your APS a static speed. Get one with crit damage and a socket and of course strength. Since I suspect you may have gold issues you may need to get one in the 750-825 dps ranges which is still a good benefit.
    Amazingly useful advice.
    "If you have gold issues, go and buy a weapon for 30m+ gold".

Well, unless you send him money I guess its not an option.

You could also go with a Skorn (2H) as a WWBarb, not as good as the above set up
    Another "useful" advice. His gear will have 20 ias tops at the beginning and most likely even less. It means no rage, no sprint, no whirlwind, no life steal. Just amazing for new player. But hey, his "dps" number will be bigger! Too bad he will kill twice less things per hour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Amazingly useful advice.
    "If you have gold issues, go and buy a weapon for 30m+ gold".

Well, unless you send him money I guess its not an option.
    750-825 dps for an Echoing Fury is incredibly low (really weird, it's the only one-hand weapon I've seen that seems to consistently roll high, even four digits. I can count on one hand the number of rare weapons I've found with four digit dps), and as such should not cost him that much.

To get a Echoing Fury with socket I need to put out about 30mil..
    If I drop the socket, I can get a "ok" one for about 300k :P

But then again - are the swords I got now so bad? Or should I try to sell them (And how much are they worth? I got them for 100k on bids)

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    750-825 dps for an Echoing Fury is incredibly low (really weird, it's the only one-hand weapon I've seen that seems to consistently roll high, even four digits. I can count on one hand the number of rare weapons I've found with four digit dps), and as such should not cost him that much.
    The cheapest EF with str, crit damage and socket is 32.5m on AH.
    Obviously you can use one with int. Or without socket. But what's the point of such offhand than?

And what's the point of increasing MH spped? For WW? If you play ww barbarian properly ww damage would be no more than 20% of your total damage. You need to increase offhand speed to get more tornadoes ticks. That's the whole point of the build.

Again, unless you want to spend half a billion per weapon, EF offhand will be always more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post
    To get a Echoing Fury with socket I need to put out about 30mil..
    If I drop the socket, I can get a "ok" one for about 300k :P

But then again - are the swords I got now so bad? Or should I try to sell them (And how much are they worth? I got them for 100k on bids)
    Aside from the high loh on the your mh, they dont offer much. If you bought them for 100k thats what they are worth. You want sockets or leech on your 1h weps.

You may wanna pick up a cold soj (500k-1mil) so they dont run so far away if going with the echoing. I was using one until yesterday then i found a decent trifecta with str and vit, the mobs turn stupid when hit with cold tornado's and just stand in them.

since ur starting out ur gear is on the right track. theres just a few things u needa know.

1. dont worry bout lifeleech. IK belt and bloodthirst talent will give u the 6% u need. life on hit it useless for barbs since it doesnt proc from tornados which is ur main source of dps.. u only want lifesteal, which u already have enough of. since u got an ik belt u are fine there.
    2. try to get a cheap EF without a socket but with the highest crit % dmg u can find.. and highest dps. this proly wont be more then say 70% crit dmg and 800-900 but crit dmg makes up the most.
    3. % crit chance is all u need for rings/ gloves/ ammy/ and helm. try and get a helm with a socket, life, and crit hit chance and all resist if possible. aim for 5-6% on helm as its the max crit chance. the rest of the stats dont matter as much. gloves highest is 10 but 6-8 is usually good. rings u can get max if u dont spend a lot on other stats.. and usually u can buy a cheap unity str ring for 100-200k. Unity is very nice for starting out.

depending or not if u have Blacksmithing maxed u could make a 200 str shoulder/chest/gloves/amulet . but that costs a bit of gold to get there and cover reforging costs. anyway jus aim to get to act 3 kill azmodan. and do a3 farming runs. the typical route is Arreat core, Tower of the cursed, Arreat crater lvl 2, bridge of Korsik, and the keep lvl 2. then repeat.

drop boon of bul kathos for bloodthirst. and get more crit hit chance and you'll see much more rage generated = more dps.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    since ur starting out ur gear is on the right track. theres just a few things u needa know.

1. dont worry bout lifeleech. IK belt and bloodthirst talent will give u the 6% u need. life on hit it useless for barbs since it doesnt proc from tornados which is ur main source of dps.. u only want lifesteal, which u already have enough of. since u got an ik belt u are fine there.
    2. try to get a cheap EF without a socket but with the highest crit % dmg u can find.. and highest dps. this proly wont be more then say 70% crit dmg and 800-900 but crit dmg makes up the most.
    3. % crit chance is all u need for rings/ gloves/ ammy/ and helm. try and get a helm with a socket, life, and crit hit chance and all resist if possible. aim for 5-6% on helm as its the max crit chance. the rest of the stats dont matter as much. gloves highest is 10 but 6-8 is usually good. rings u can get max if u dont spend a lot on other stats.. and usually u can buy a cheap unity str ring for 100-200k. Unity is very nice for starting out.

depending or not if u have Blacksmithing maxed u could make a 200 str shoulder/chest/gloves/amulet . but that costs a bit of gold to get there and cover reforging costs. anyway jus aim to get to act 3 kill azmodan. and do a3 farming runs. the typical route is Arreat core, Tower of the cursed, Arreat crater lvl 2, bridge of Korsik, and the keep lvl 2. then repeat.

drop boon of bul kathos for bloodthirst. and get more crit hit chance and you'll see much more rage generated = more dps.
    Thanks for all the tips, and the farming route! been wondering how on earth I am supposed to earn a living x] With all the yellows - do I just vendor it all? (Except those with good stats, like alot of all ress and such)

And I got blacksmithing maxed aswell, cant say I got much mats though. So maybe I should start salvaging yellow items?

I buy and sell a few certain items on the AH, I look at and buy EF's a lot so I really pay attention of the current prices of EF's. Low dps EF (great for offhand) have been going in 12-20 mil range for past few weeks. Today, all of a sudden you cant find one for under 30 mil. These are ones with CD - socket - str As mentioned in earlier post, I do not know what your gold situation was at. Not sure if 15 mil was a lot for you or not.

Another "useful" advice. His gear will have 20 ias tops at the beginning and most likely even less. It means no rage, no sprint, no whirlwind, no life steal. Just amazing for new player. But hey, his "dps" number will be bigger! Too bad he will kill twice less things per hour.
    Not my problem you don't get what a Skorn can actually do for farming. In today's "market" you can get to 75k dps easy and cheap and with MP1...it's not an issue. There really should not be any excuse to not be able to get to 75k, so that is the beginning. Add the new crafting...I do not get how you can say he will have all this shitty gear to start. In fact Nonslid, check out the many guides on the D3 forums on how to gear to get decent dps at a very very low cost.

Traen, you seem quite excited to pick apart another's advice, a little too much so...when you are trying to pigeon-hole this guy right from the start with your "useful" advice. Not sure what that is all about. Nothing worse than putting up with a guy who mocks/criticizes others who have come into a thread to spend their own time with answering a post asking for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    Not my problem you don't get what a Skorn can actually do for farming. In today's "market" you can get to 75k dps easy and cheap and with MP1...it's not an issue.
    Reread my post one more time. Scorn is NOT AN OPTION without attack speed on items. Its SLOW. Remove all your items with attack speed(you'll get 75k dps probably) and try to "farm" things with scorn. You'll be surprised.

Traen, you seem quite excited to pick apart another's advice, a little too much so...when you are trying to pigeon-hole this guy right from the start with your "useful" advice. Not sure what that is all about. Nothing worse than putting up with a guy who mocks/criticizes others who have come into a thread to spend their own time with answering a post asking for help.
    Take the critics like a man. If you are wrong, just admit it. If you are not sure - do some tests, do theorycrafting.
    No one is mocking anyone.
    Scorn is not a right choice for new ww barbarian with no gear. Using EF as offhand is dps loss comparing to spending the same amount of money for EF as MH. New player can't afford a weapon for 35m.
    There is nothing funny about it. Its exactly how things are.

Calm down boys

This is how he turned out after a days work:
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/H...8/hero/1167433

Got alot more dps now, and clearing Act3 was done like nothing, think I died twice because I pulled to much..

So thanks for all the helpful advices!