PC crashing - need suggestions ASAP

All right, this is the deal - for the past couple of months my PC started showing signs of overheating (the fan on the GPU would go apeshit if I play some DX11 game... or any game for that matter) and would shut itself off in order to cool down. Now, upon realizing this I decided to do something about it and clean my GPU thoroughly. Needles to say, it was choking on so much dust, it was ridiculous.

Everything was fine after the clean up for several days, though the problems returned shortly after. No matter what type of game I play (recently tried Crysis 2, Crysis 3 and Brutal Legend \../) it will be fine for about 10 minutes until a crash occurs... and this is the main problem - there's no crash dump file, no BSOD screen... NOTHING. It is as if I reset the computer from the power button. Happens every god damn time and it is driving me crazy. I cannot play anything and I don't know what to do.

Some tech-savvy friends suggested I get a new PSU (since mine is 3 years old and its been through a LOT) though I cannot really confirm if that's the reason since I don't have a back up PSU to swap.

Any feedback on the matter will be more than welcome.

MB: Sapphire GX890
    GPU: Radeon 5770
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4
    RAM: 2 x 2 GB 1333 Mhz

What is your current PSU? How are your CPU temps looking?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

You computer parts could just well be on their way out unfortunatley, 3-4 years is generally the life span of any component maybe 4-5 if you know how to properly treat your system.

Ask your friend to check your Thermal Paste.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    What is your current PSU? How are your CPU temps looking?
    My current PSU is some Hantoll 750W crap I got for cheap (i was kinda running low on cash when I bought it, served me good up till now I think). The CPU is fine I believe, have been monitoring it with Avalanche.

The PSU is without a doubt the most important component in any build. If you have any spending money I suggest buying a bronze/silver/gold certified PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonshardz View Post
    My current PSU is some Hantoll 750W crap I got for cheap (i was kinda running low on cash when I bought it, served me good up till now I think). The CPU is fine I believe, have been monitoring it with Avalanche.
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/blog/...-of-cement/220

I would take that PSU out ASAP. Like as soon as you read this.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/blog/...-of-cement/220

I would take that PSU out ASAP. Like as soon as you read this.
    I doubt it's that bad seeing how it worked for 3 years But yeah I take the hint. Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Run HWMonitor and check temps on both the CPU and GPU.

And yeah... I can't even find Hantoll as a manufacturer on either of my PSU manufacturer lists.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

And yeah... I can't even find Hantoll as a manufacturer on either of my PSU manufacturer lists.
    Will do.

I live in a third world country, no wonder we are given the holy grail of all crap here.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

No of course you can't see the psu model in hwmonitor. Whats your 12V, 3.3V & 5V rail at in hwmonitor?

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    No of course you can't see the psu model in hwmonitor. Whats your 12V, 3.3V & 5V rail at in hwmonitor?
    12V - 10,560 V
    3.3V - 3.280 V
    5V - 5,192 V

Though I just noticed that my CPU temp goes a bit too hot I am afraid. Now it is at 98 degrees C and growing. I believe the processor is causing the shut down due to overheating. God damn it! The cooler is no more than a year old and it is huge. Guess size doesn't matter after-all.

Edit: Yep. PC died soon after. Last checked temp was around 105 C. I might have to change the cooler... or something.
    Last edited by Dragonshardz; 2013-03-03 at 01:26 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    12V - 10,560 V
    3.3V - 3.280 V
    5V - 5,192 V

Though I just noticed that my CPU temp goes a bit too hot I am afraid. Now it is at 98 degrees C and growing. I believe the processor is causing the shut down due to overheating. God damn it! The cooler is no more than a year old and it is huge. Guess size doesn't matter after-all.

Edit: Yep. PC died soon after. Last checked temp was around 105 C. I might have to change the cooler... or something.
    There is no way with any cpu cooler you can get that high in temperature. i think cooler isnt mounted properly or its detached

Before you even try reseating your CPU cooler, make sure you have some spare thermal paste around - you'll need reapply some new paste and clean off the residue.

I'd personally like to recommend Arctic MX-4 if you are able to get that.

Max Temp on Phenom II are 62c. You have some serious issues going on there.

I'd bet money its your power supply. 9/10 times it is.
    Last edited by Redmage; 2013-03-03 at 03:24 PM.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Deleted
    It could also be your thermal paste that has dried out after extensive periods of overheating. My laptop had exactly the same issues you are describing in the op, and after trying all other things i took it apart and cleaned/reapplied new thermal paste i ordered over the internet and all my problems went away, the core temp all dropped with at least 20-40c each.

12V - 10,560 V
    Your parts are never going to run optimal and god who knows if it's spiking at 15V. This PSU needs a replacement, you don't have a choice. I'm wondering how you actually are getting temps of 100°.

Everytime you take your cooler out you need to replace the thermal paste because of air bubbles inside the paste is causing bad contact.

Look here how to apply TIM -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2p6Hk4IfqI
    Use this guide how to mount your cooler -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdyWD...DOl0Q&index=18

I doubt it's that bad seeing how it worked for 3 years But yeah I take the hint. Thanks
    A bad PSU is like using dirty fuel in your car engine. It's might seem to work out fine for a year or two but, it's doing untold damage that will cost you in the end.

Cement PSU is the new thing, rofl!

OT: Like n0cturnal says, get a new PSU and clean you're old dry paste and put on some new.
    Use 70%-90% alcohol and Q-Tips
    Last edited by Guruftw; 2013-03-04 at 01:50 PM.
    Case: Corsair 750D MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 MARK1 CPU: i7 6700K (4.7GHz) CPU Cooling: Corsair H115i
    PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750W Platinum GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified 6GB SSD1: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro
    SSD2: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro RAM: Corsair 32GB DOMINATOR Monitor: Asus 27" VG278H 120Hz

Well, I finally managed to fix it. It took some courage to open and clean the cooler (a shitload of dust btw) and re-apply the paste. It works like a charm now. Thanks for the feedback guys.