Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saravat View Post
    You also need to stop reading their blogs because Mark Jacobs is famously good at pretty much BSing his way into generating enthusiasm via blog posts for things that either don't happen at all, or don't get implemented the way they were originally described. Just go back and re-read all the hype for Warhammer if you think I am being too cynical about that.

Again, he's a nice guy and I don't wish failure on him, but really, anyone who is hanging on to his every word in blogs is someone I'd talk into about buying lakefront property in the Gobi desert.
    Re-read about Warhammer please. It wasn't Mark failuers, but team full of failures, they failed at developing, they were spamming Mark "Mark, it's gonna work, trust us!" and he believed them while he knew that War was incomplete/bugged and needed alot of work. He couldn't say "no, you must work on that harder, make it like blizz's quality, we must work +6months or more longer" because EA was pushing the release date and said "we may cut the money" :P

Now Mark has money, time, his own team and has got enough $ to hire professionals, hopefully they will do their best and he will be not be that tolerant. He must stand strong and say "this iteration sucks, cmon, do it again".
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2013-02-16 at 03:32 PM.

WAR online was also pushed by EA for a early release before WotlK was released.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Deleted
    "almost no PvE" -> wont have much players, for me this isnt something special. Just another "wanna-be".

Quote Originally Posted by Talice View Post
    "almost no PvE" -> wont have much players, for me this isnt something special. Just another "wanna-be".
    No pve is the good thing, we need more pvp focused mmo's.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    at least you aren't forced to do the pve crap to get into pvp like in most games, also he is aiming for 50-70k dedicated players

Just another "wanna-be".
    Wanna-be what?
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

The thing about the Warhammer blogs is that they were supposed to be accurate. Around 2/3 of the game was cut because EA spring a release date on them just a few months in advance to compete with Wrath, when it wouldn't have been ready until closer to Cata release. Just about every issue with that game is thanks to bad business decisions from EA, and I really wish I got to see the finished product. Without EA, the blogs are a lot more believable now.

This game is aimed at 30-50k ppl no more. Market has much much much more PvPers than that and Camelot can be one of their games. Nobody is forced to play only one title.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    Nobody is forced to play only one title.
    But... I got an email from blizzard telling me that having more than one MMO on my computer is dangerous.

but seriously, the future is this. Playing many games. When you were a kid with an original nintendo you weren't like "well, I finally got mario! Now I never have to buy another video game ever again because this is the only game I can play.". No, you bought several games. In fact, most people tried to buy as many games as they could because they wanted to experience new games.
    Developing an MMO isexpensive and risky, but like all products, the longer its out the easier it is to replicate at a lower cost of production. It won't be long before we have as many MMOs on the market as we had PS2 games. A lot will suck, a lot will be niche, and a few will be major titles. This "king of the hill" crap will fade eventually.

I look forward to the day when people are playing 10+ mmos with their friends. Not fanatically grinding rep with factions 12 hours a day or some crap, logging in and doing a quick instance, death match, w/e the game is / does. Maybe dropping a few bucks on a shiny wardrobe item here and there (because who is going to pay a subscription fee when they have 10 games they play? f2p/b2p with cash shop is the future). Maybe after that log onto a different game and do something else.

Deleted
    You should really look at GW2 and how many people level exclusively through WvW. I'd estimate it's close to 30% of the player-base.

The thing to remember here is that CU isn't shooting to become a AAA MMO. With a 5 Mio. dollar budget they're aiming for roughly 100.000 subscribers, something DAoC and Everquest retain to this date. Compare that to the 200+ Mio. budget of SWTOR.

Imo Mark Jacobs seems to have a very solid grasp of what modern MMOs are lacking. My concern is that their budget it too limited to achieve the quality standards we've become accustomed to.

http://citystateentertainment.com/20...cissors-natch/
    http://citystateentertainment.com/20...clear-as-mudd/

Oh well, two new blogs today and noting interesting tbh, also, until this game will go at least into closed beta, at least a year will pass, many will forget or say "meh" after that time.
    Mark did one bad thing...he hyped ppl too early, thats for sure. He should tell us anything about CU the day the closed beta starts, this could work.

Anyway, he wants to make it the best possible way, Rock Paper Scizors in terms of classes and races, he alsow wan'ts to add more and more classes like LoL etc. I say: can't wait but this wait will kill me.
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2013-02-19 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    http://citystateentertainment.com/20...cissors-natch/
    http://citystateentertainment.com/20...clear-as-mudd/

Oh well, two new blogs today and noting interesting tbh, also, until this game will go at least into closed beta, at least a year will pass, many will forget or say "meh" after that time.
    Mark did one bad thing...he hyped ppl too early, thats for sure. He should tell us anything about CU the day the closed beta starts, this could work.

Anyway, he wants to make it the best possible way, Rock Paper Scizors in terms of classes and races, he alsow wan'ts to add more and more classes like LoL etc. I say: can't wait but this wait will kill me.
    Yeah but the hype will help with the kickstarter funding.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.gamebreaker.tv/video-game...k-jacobs-gb-1/

this was on gamebreaker the other day, seems like its really early stages but it sounds good on paper

That was on just today. Mark Jacobs is always good for an interview.

have to say, after listening to him on this interview and a few others, I'm quite looking forward to seeing if he can make this game work as he says it will
    Last edited by Valeron; 2013-03-01 at 02:41 AM.

Some people just cannot admit their failures. Kickstarter funding? That's ridiculous.

That interview with Jacobs is phenomenal.

That is a smart game designer.

On another note: this blog post hits on a lot of musings I have been having recently w/r/t true MMOs and the newer MMOs in the genre: http://citystateentertainment.com/20...l-principle-9/

I will likely never play CU, but I support the development philosophically.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-03-01 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Some people just cannot admit their failures. Kickstarter funding? That's ridiculous.
    Ridiculous how? As explained in the interview, he doesn't want to be under the thumb of a publisher who can change the vision of his game. KS makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Reading this hurt my brain.

I would love to see more skilled developers switch to kickstarter and get the upper management out of the picture.

---------- Post added 2013-03-01 at 09:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    Ridiculous how? As explained in the interview, he doesn't want to be under the thumb of a publisher who can change the vision of his game. KS makes perfect sense.
    ^ what this guy said.

Deleted
    What has me a bit dumbfounded is the crafting system Mark Jacobs proposed in his blogs. It seems to be based on dedicated crafting classes but I don't really get it.

Do crafters have any kind of combat skills? What do I do with them all day when I'm not crafting? Just seems odd.

Edit: WoW...he's investing 2 Mio. of his own money into the game. That's quite a commitment.

Yeah, I'm not quite clear on how crafting will work either. But he's mentioned crafters being able to build structures to help with RvR. That sounds pretty damn cool.