Thread: Syria

Page 65 of 87 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Doesn't mean we have to commit any Military forces. I am getting fed up with being told that we are trying to police the world, fine, let the world police itself for a while. NATO should look after its own and let the African and middle eastern countries beat the living shit out of each other, as they have always done throughout history.
    Best idea I've heard in a while What Kalyyn does not get is what it's like to go somewhere across the planet and 'save' these places from 'themselves'. What do you think the tune Kalyyn whistled would be if suddenly they had to go there as an infantryman?

LOL SIGN UP or shaddup armchair world problem solvers! Unite with your backbone and make a statement with your actions if you really believe you should send men to die. Go be one of them. Then come back, if you do, and tell us what you think with FIRST HAND experience.
    We shall then see how good world police and sending troops there sounds beyond the armchair.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

We would be at constant war then. Where next? There are loads of African countries that have even worst dictators, and new ones popping up all the time. It would be a never ending task.
    Is that any argument to stop? Or to "let them beat the shit out of eachother for a while"? How crass, how inhumane! How could you let yourself think that?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Is that any argument to stop? Or to "let them beat the shit out of eachother for a while"? How crass, how inhumane! How could you let yourself think that?
    Call of the homebody. Sign up Ray, and go there, live it. kgo.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

We would be at constant war then. Where next? There are loads of African countries that have even worst dictators, and new ones popping up all the time. It would be a never ending task.
    That's right, but inaction is action, and doing nothing is worse.

You don't believe that. I know you're better than this. Be the better man and stand up for what's right.
    In one respect he's right. Evil(or whatever you want to call it) will keep springing up for as long as we exist, a never-ending struggle to make the world better can seem hopeless. To be clear, I don't think it is; but it is certainly daunting.

Deleted
    Because I have been deployed twice to Afghanistan and am sick of seeing friends die, be crippled or suffer PTSD. If you feel so strongly about it, go to Syria and join the rebels personally. I am sure they would welcome you.

Edit: It pisses me off that people sit at home and call for blood against a country, fast forward a few years and we are still stuck there, we get called baby killers and murderers. Look at all the hate the USA gets on this forum for interfering with other countries, now we get people asking the US/UK to do the same in Syria.
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2013-03-02 at 06:38 PM.

Because I have been deployed twice to Afghanistan and am sick of seeing friends die, be crippled or suffer PTSD. If you feel so strongly about it, go to Syria and join the rebels personally. I am sure they would welcome you.
    So Arab lives aren't worth as much as American ones? That's really what the anti-intervention movement comes down to isn't it.

Deleted
    So Arab lives aren't worth as much as American ones? That's really what the anti-intervention movement comes down to isn't it.
    Let me correct you. Are strangers lives worth the lives of me or my men? No.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    How is that better for anyone?
    We don't get involved, and Syria will be able to pull itself together after the civil war ends. Rebels winning will likely mean power struggles and chaos like in Libya.

We could remove the Al-Baath regime with drones.
    __

I don't understand why people are more okay with sending soldiers to do it, but have some aversion to drones.

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette55 View Post
    We don't get involved, and Syria will be able to pull itself together after the civil war ends. Rebels winning will likely mean power struggles and chaos like in Libya.
    Pull itself together into what exactly? Are we content to turn a blind eye to human rights violation, when we have the means to end it? National lines are imaginary/arbitrary, I see these people the same way I see you. The key difference is they're struggling under a dictator. The snow is falling outside my window, and my family isn't being tortured. This is a calm every sentient being should be able to possess.
    Last edited by Speaknoevil; 2013-03-02 at 06:49 PM.

Deleted
    We could remove the Al-Baath regime with drones.
    __

I don't understand why people are more okay with sending soldiers to do it, but have some aversion to drones.

Pull itself together into what exactly?
    A solvent and sovereign country? Civil war is bad for you, you know. You need good infrastructure and leadership to recover.

EDIT: Since you have updated your post,

Sure, there are human rights violations. But these things are happening on BOTH sides. Who is to say a rebel-controlled Syria will ultimately turn out to be better? Assad has Hezbollah support and Al-Qaeda has the rebels' backs. We can either choose one evil or stay out of it.
    Last edited by mmoc409269e0e9; 2013-03-02 at 06:54 PM.

Let me correct you. Are strangers lives worth the lives of me or my men? No.
    Even worse than I thought. Even more provincial backed by the "us" vs "other" mentality.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Even worse than I thought. Even more provincial backed by the "us" vs "other" mentality.
    Ill be ok with it if we just sent drones to do the dirty work instead of risking a soldiers life in a war we shouldn't be part of.

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette55 View Post
    Sure, there are human rights violations. But these things are happening on BOTH sides. Who is to say a rebel-controlled Syria will ultimately turn out to be better? Assad has Hezbollah support and Al-Qaeda has the rebels' backs. We can either choose one evil or stay out of it.
    We don't, and couldn't know. We have to work with what we do know, the ones in power now are corrupt, and subject their people to atrocities.

The reasonable course of action, is to go with the unsure end result.

Deleted
    We don't, and couldn't know. We have to work with what we do know, the ones in power now are corrupt, and subject their people to atrocities.

The reasonable course of action, is to go with the unsure end result.
    Well, I think the reasonable course of action is to stay out and not risk our men and resources on an "unknown end result". But that is your opinion, I suppose.
    Last edited by mmoc409269e0e9; 2013-03-02 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Moar typos

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    Ill be ok with it if we just sent drones to do the dirty work instead of risking a soldiers life in a war we shouldn't be part of.
    Fine by me, but give our ground troops a rest. 11 years+ in Afghanistan, 9 years in Iraq Round 2 and now talk of further wars in far off places that are no threat to our families back home. Our troops are weary after so many deployments, some people have spent years abroad being shot at and risking life and limb. With our Military budgets being cut further and being forced to work harder with less, now is the best time to let our troops and budget recover.

Are you a soldier? Are you going over their to risk your life? If yes, then fine you have a right to your argument. If no, how can you justify sending others to their potential death when you are unwilling to risk your own life. Stop calling other people out for what you are inherently doing by refusing to go yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro1990 View Post
    Are you a soldier? Are you going over their to risk your life? If yes, then fine you have a right to your argument. If no, how can you justify sending others to their potential death when you are unwilling to risk your own life. Stop calling other people out for what you are inherently doing by refusing to go yourself.
    Throw the first stone fallacy?

Get off your moral high horse. Nobody has any moral obligation to care about everyone else in the world who's suffering. I refuse people asking for donations all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    The rebels would accept you, theres plenty of foreigners fighting for them. Just make your way there, they will supply your training and weapons.

It's different when you transition from judging and or punishing people to putting lives at risk. Sure I think what's going over there is wrong and it may warrant our intervention, but that doesn't mean I will so casually throw our soldiers lives at risk.