Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    I just want to make sure I understand this situation.

1. The nurse followed procedure.
    2. The Nursing Home is not upset.
    3. The family of the deceased is not upset. (Note: The daughter is also a nurse and might have a bit more insight into the circumstances then, say, most of the people posting here.)
    4. The police apparently are not upset.

So, just to be clear, no one of any importance is actually upset. And yet we have over 14 pages of arguments about morality and legality. All of which stem from a brief story that, in all likely hood, lacked the full details.

Just so I'm clear that the bulk of this thread amounts to people trying to impose their own sense of "right and wrong" based off of partial information.
    I guess maybe some are scared something like this might happen to them or their loved ones.

Hmm, what would happen if you had work to do at that place and ended up in a situation like this woman. Would anyone there help you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clampz View Post
    I think this comment should be repeatedly quoted until all of these bleeding hearts get it.
    I think it's enough that you can be sued in a court of law or lose your job for trying to be helpful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alyshira View Post
    In this situation, neither the daughter or the nursing home was bothered. However, it may indicate that policies need to be re-evaluated. Looking at the comments on the article I linked, it looks like there a few RN's and senior living employees upset with the policy. I'd mostly agree with a nursing assistant's comment, "What the hell is the point of someone being in a facility if they're not going to get medical care?"

In this situation maybe no one cared, but it could still be a catalyst to review the policies.
    Medical professionals can be moved by the pain of watching death as well; that doesn't mean that intervening would interfere with the express desires of the patient and her family. There's a reason why people are ultimately cycled out of hospitals fairly quickly, or stay for their entire careers, without too much middle ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I think it's enough that you can be sued in a court of law or lose your job for trying to be helpful.
    not for some of these people, who just go "OMG ITS THE CONSUMERS FAULT" and "ZOMG LAWS NEED CHANGEZ NOW!!1one"

Quote Originally Posted by hamsterbom View Post
    I guess maybe some are scared something like this might happen to them or their loved ones.

Hmm, what would happen if you had work to do at that place and ended up in a situation like this woman. Would anyone there help you?
    I'm not entirely sure I understand your sentiment.

Look this entire argument can be summed up with a few basic, logical, facts.

1. The nursing home, for legal reasons, most likely had the family sign documentation as it relates to all policies.

Now this one fact should be enough to end the debate. However should more evidence be required I can submit the following.

1. The daughter, a trained nurse, is not upset.
    2. The police are not upset.

Combine the evidence and you realize we have people in this thread more upset over this situation then the family involved.

Should you be suggesting my feelings had I been in the deceased shoes? Well I read all documentation before I sign it. That, in and of itself, takes us to my first point.

I'm not entirely sure I understand your sentiment.

Look this entire argument can be summed up with a few basic, logical, facts.

1. The nursing home, for legal reasons, most likely had the family sign documentation as it relates to all policies.

Now this one fact should be enough to end the debate. However should more evidence be required I can submit the following.

1. The daughter, a trained nurse, is not upset.
    2. The police are not upset.

Combine the evidence and you realize we have people in this thread more upset over this situation then the family involved.

Should you be suggesting my feelings had I been in the deceased shoes? Well I read all documentation before I sign it. That, in and of itself, takes us to my first point.
    This is the kind of things people can be scared of, growing old and getting some kind of condition where you can't be resposible for your self and others have to read/sign papers for you.

I'm curious if the woman knew she wouldn't get help if she needed it?

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the kind of things people can be scared of, growing old and getting some kind of condition where you can't be resposible for your self and others have to read/sign papers for you.

She would by definition have been unconscious by the time her heart gave out and the DNR agreement came into effect. Apart from that.. I doubt a retirement home has the capacity to perform emergency medical care to keep her from passing.

As for if the woman knew about it or not, that's none of your business, or the business of the media. HIPAA.

So you're concerned that her daughter, her apparent care-taker and a trained nurse, intentionally (or otherwise) endangered her life? Or do people in this thread just assume they know better than the daughter when it comes to the care this woman should have received?

I'm just curious which it is. Because the first one is a crime and you shouldn't make criminal accusations without evidence. The second is, well, stupidity. And that runs rampant on the internet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by catablitz View Post
    I am actually suprized that this discussion takes place. Am I reading correct? Does the argument of not letting someone die need further explanation? Do you US people find this natural? In many countries that nurse would be in jail by now.
    Natural enough not to demand a change to Tort.
    Money is valued over life, same with shooting to kill examples.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2013-03-04 at 06:11 AM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    She would by definition have been unconscious by the time her heart gave out and the DNR agreement came into effect. Apart from that.. I doubt a retirement home has the capacity to perform emergency medical care to keep her from passing.

As for if the woman knew about it or not, that's none of your business, or the business of the media. HIPAA.
    Didn't say it was, that is why I asked the question on this forum. Wouldn't want to end up in a situation where my family put me in a home like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Combine the evidence and you realize we have people in this thread more upset over this situation then the family involved
    that's what you get when you come to GenOT

it's a soapbox

It is sad that no one even tried, but I don't blame anyone for not trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't say it was, that is why I asked the question on this forum. Wouldn't want to end up in a situation where my family put me in a home like that.
    Last I checked, although I could be wrong, a family cannot designate DNR unless very specific requirements are met.
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...ons/000473.htm

So you're concerned that her daughter, her apparent care-taker and a trained nurse, intentionally (or otherwise) endangered her life? Or do people in this thread just assume they know better than the daughter when it comes to the care this woman should have received?

I'm just curious which it is. Because the first one is a crime and you shouldn't make criminal accusations without evidence. The second is, well, stupidity. And that runs rampant on the internet.
    You are the one doing the assuming, I asked a simple question. But It was not the smartest question since no one here can answer it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    Then I feel sorry for anyone you might know that wanted to die in peace rather than have continued suffering.
    That woman didn't want to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Last I checked, although I could be wrong, a family cannot designate DNR unless very specific requirements are met.
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...ons/000473.htm
    Ok the clears up a lot thanks, I didn't even know what DNR what until I saw this topic.

---------- Post added 2013-03-04 at 07:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Ok now I'm getting confused again, where did you get that from?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    DNR is irrelevant the Nurse was following company procedures and in so ensuring she wouldn't be fired or possibly sued. I'm sure the family was made aware of these regulations and yet continued to put her there.

I don't understand what the debate is here.

One time there were these people and they had a situation. They agreed that if something happened they would take a certain action. Something happened and the agreement was upheld.

Happy ending!

says who??

10+ Year Old Account
    Her presence there indicated she did. A retirement home does not have the means to provide long-term prevention of pulmonary failure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clampz View Post
    says who??
    the same people who repeatedly suggested that gidget bit holes in barbara siau's pants leg before being shot despite there being no explanation for the holes

and are afraid of getting rabies from a domesticated dog