Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I'd say yes, they have their place. Can't have a good game of Gnomeball without a Gnome. It's just not the same feeling kicking a Goblin around.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Except if you're playing legion xd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyoken View Post
    The day I die I want the shaman class developers to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.......

10+ Year Old Account
    Gnomes are a diminutive, wiry race of tinkers who live underground. In the Second War, they built gadgets and vehicles, such as submarines and flying machines, for the Alliance to combat the Horde. They are great mechanics and inventors, renowned for their knowledge and eccentric natures. The gnomes had a city, Gnomeregan, built into Ironforge Mountain, but invading troggs destroyed it and slaughtered its citizens. Many survivors now live with the Ironforge dwarves, a few traveling with their dwarven friends to Kalimdor. The gnomes are still reeling from the destruction of their home city and are loath to leave the safety of the dwarven tunnels. So yes Gnomes have been in since the second war...get over it OP......they are here to stay....

People getting mad as fuck about defending gnomes ITT.

Also lol if you are using something from within wow to justify the gnome race's inclusion in wow

10+ Year Old Account
    These threads are kind of stupid really... why does everything they add in the game HAVE to be already in lore....?? Why are they not allowed for some weird reason to add new stuff. Gnomes have their place in lore because Blizzard made new lore if you will. Gnomes headed to Ironforge because their homeland was taken over and irradiated by Troggs. Gnomes have existed way before that, but that's how they became more apparent.... also the lore surrounding it is quite good, considering it involves Mimiron that created the first (mecha)gnome and these gnomes slowly involved into current gnomes due to curse of flesh.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the story will continue and come to a conclusion in a titan-based expansion, since Mimiron was created by the Titans himself...

All in all, even though their appearance in Warcraft 2 may not be much, they still were there and I think Blizzard has tied them into the game very well....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    It just seems when you think about it, between their highly neglected, retconned, and out of place lore, which sees very little continuity or advancement, Gnomes were literally created for World of Warcraft, because the developers could not find a final race for the Alliance at the time, as Goblins were not Alliance-like.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't think there is any Gnome currently in the lore, who has had an impact in any way, or was of significance. All they ever do, is provide corny, five-year old comic relief.

What's your stance on this?
    Gnomes' debut in the Warcraft universe predate Tauren, Forsaken, Night Elves, Blood Elves, Worgen, Draenei, and Pandaren. They predate the debut of Arthas, Illidan, Kaelthas, and most any other significant NPC. They were in WCII. Your premise of them being "made-up" for WoW is patently wrong. Now the notion that since WoW they have been neglected is valid.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    It just seems when you think about it, between their highly neglected, retconned, and out of place lore, which sees very little continuity or advancement, Gnomes were literally created for World of Warcraft, because the developers could not find a final race for the Alliance at the time, as Goblins were not Alliance-like.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't think there is any Gnome currently in the lore, who has had an impact in any way, or was of significance. All they ever do, is provide corny, five-year old comic relief.

What's your stance on this?
    They existed in WC2 actually, and yeah, between Kelsey steelspark and Mekkatorque's shortstory they've shown they can be great if Blizz tries.

---------- Post added 2013-03-05 at 09:52 AM ----------

What we need are for Gnomes to be more visible, the way goblins and their inventions are all over the place in the Horde
    Twas brillig

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FlySause View Post
    Wilfred Fizzlebang is a pretty important lore character!
    LOL, what has he accomplished besides getting 1-shot by an eredar?

The Pandaren only really had a story created this expansion didn't they?

As long as they contribute to lore they have a reason to exist and gnomes are a fine race, though a bit underdeveloped, there is so much more potential.

I think they're annoying, always have been, but they do belong in Warcraft. WAy more so than pandas, and pandas are worse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dariusz2k View Post
    At least they fit into the world perfectly, unlike Gnomes. Even the Grummles have more backstory.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    At least they fit into the world perfectly, unlike Gnomes. Even the Grummles have more backstory.
    ..........................They don't fit.........................at all...............................there's nothing in warcraft that fits them...............nothing

Comedic relief.

No one said that yet right?

Gnomes have a place in WoW as the butt of every joke, I can't think of a single gnome who's entire existence wasn't meant to simply be used for humor.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dariusz2k View Post
    Well they also had Chen and a few other pandaren. But ignoring that, yes, pandaren got their lore in the expansion they were introduced and a lot of important lore characters that do stuff.

You could say the gnomes had the same, they got a bunch of lore in Classic WoW when... wait... no, they got a dungeon and a few gnomes with funny joke quests around the world. Ok, maybe they got their lore in BC, when they had that colonial marines town look-alike fighting insects making them colonial marines! But wait, that's not gnome lore much either. Ok, then they surely got their lore in Wrath! Yea, well mechano-gnomes and stuff and Gelbin took the rug at the exit of his town.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

10+ Year Old Account
    Gnomes, aside from the comedy value, always strike me as a very 2-dimensional race. They have no extension of lore outside of gnomeregan, they are always stereotypes (well, I can think of ONE exception with darkrider Arly), and never account for anything major in the story. I mean blood elves and draenei have more extension of lore then gnomes, and they came into the game later.

---------- Post added 2013-03-05 at 05:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    They're filler.
    In short, yes.

Deleted
    LOL, what has he accomplished besides getting 1-shot by an eredar?
    He summoned an Eredar.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    They're filler.
    They're filler people never wanted, people wanted High Elves. They should just swap them out to neutral status and add the Elves next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    He summoned an Eredar.
    Any warlock can do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    He summoned an Eredar.
    and then died in comedic fashion.

---------- Post added 2013-03-05 at 05:06 PM ----------

They're filler people never wanted, people wanted High Elves. They should just swap them out to neutral status and add the Elves next expansion.
    yeeeeeeeeee... that arn't ever going to happen. They are never going to remove races from assorted factions, since it would break up guilds and friendships and mess up questing, so... no.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Gnomes, aside from the comedy value, always strike me as a very 2-dimensional race. They have no extension of lore outside of gnomeregan, they are always stereotypes (well, I can think of ONE exception with darkrider Arly), and never account for anything major in the story. I mean blood elves and draenei have more extension of lore then gnomes, and they came into the game later.

---------- Post added 2013-03-05 at 05:01 PM ----------

In short, yes.
    Gnomes in Warcraft 2 were credited to be vital part of the Alliance's success in naval encounters and aerial scouting, both in game and in the backround provided by manual.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988