Page 1 of 2
LastLast

256GB ssd or just a 1 tb hdd?

im going to build the 1000$ build from setups of the month and i know the 120gb ssd would be too low for me in terms of storage. i know the 1 tb drive would be great but i am on a computer now and i only have a 256gb hdd and still have 90gb left over with many games i dont use. is it worth the performance bump to just get a 256gb ssd and take out the other ssd and 1tb drive from the setup of the month build and then wait a few months to get a 1tb hdd? or should i just get the 1tb hdd and forget getting the ssd?

anyways whats the cheapest recommended 256gb ssd out there that wont die on me ?

I run a 128gb SSD for operating system and whatever game I'm playing at the moment and have a normal drive as backup and to keep whatever games are on the backburner. It seems to work out well for me this way.

Get the 120gb ssd for your operating system + games
    Get the 1 tb for storage (music, videos etc)

Both will most probably cost less than a 256g ssd

Deleted
    Get SSD, its awesome.

Later get 1TB drive and move all large files and stuff you rarely use there.

Quote Originally Posted by Xecks View Post
    im going to build the 1000$ build from setups of the month and i know the 120gb ssd would be too low for me in terms of storage. i know the 1 tb drive would be great but i am on a computer now and i only have a 256gb hdd and still have 90gb left over with many games i dont use. is it worth the performance bump to just get a 256gb ssd and take out the other ssd and 1tb drive from the setup of the month build and then wait a few months to get a 1tb hdd? or should i just get the 1tb hdd and forget getting the ssd?

anyways whats the cheapest recommended 256gb ssd out there that wont die on me ?
    I wouldn't even touch a SSD unless I had a back up in place because once that thing goes, it's done.

got a SSD for windows + Wow + random game that i nerf atm

NEVER NEEEEVER AGAIN WITHOUT SSD

i tought poeple where exageration when talking from there ssd but now.. never again without ! never never neeeeveeer

Quote Originally Posted by Meanor View Post

if i get a ssd i want it to hold my os and wow and bf3 and my web browser. do you think 120 will be enough for that without issues?

Forget HDD and buy one later only if you need it. Getting the SSD instead is well worth it and it sounds like you wont get it filled anytime soon.

Samsung 830/840 or Crucial M4 are best picks for the SSD, can't really recommend anything cheaper as those might die on you
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Forget HDD and buy one later only if you need it. Getting the SSD instead is well worth it and it sounds like you wont get it filled anytime soon.

Samsung 830/840 or Crucial M4 are best picks for the SSD, can't really recommend anything cheaper as those might die on you
    can you do the partpicker thing and link those three at 256gb? im not well versed with that so i dont know.

I got 128gb ssd for mmos/operating system and 1tb ext hdd for other games.

can you do the partpicker thing and link those three at 256gb? im not well versed with that so i dont know.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147186
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tem=20-148-443
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($184.69 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ Adorama)
    Total: $354.68
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-05 16:58 EST-0500)

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($184.69 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ Adorama)
    Total: $354.68
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-05 16:58 EST-0500)
    ty both of you. ima bookmark this page so i can find it later.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meanor View Post

Actually they would more likely cost more.

A lot of decent 120-128GB SSDs have been costing $90-130. Any decent 7200RPM 1TB HDD costs about $75.

So let's say $200~.

There are 256GB SSDs going on sale for well under $200.

I would still agree with your suggestion, but not because it would be "cheaper" but rather because it would be the best performance overall and give him somewhere for actual data storage.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Actually they would more likely cost more.

A lot of decent 120-128GB SSDs have been costing $90-130. Any decent 7200RPM 1TB HDD costs about $75.

So let's say $200~.

There are 256GB SSDs going on sale for well under $200.

I would still agree with your suggestion, but not because it would be "cheaper" but rather because it would be the best performance overall and give him somewhere for actual data storage.
    i came into 100 more $ so im getting the 256gb ssd and the 1tb hd. so i am happy and it will be good!

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    OP probably dont need any data storage if he has currently about 160GB used out of old HDD. 250GB SSD alone would've been plenty.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    i came into 100 more $ so im getting the 256gb ssd and the 1tb hd. so i am happy and it will be good!
    Awesome! That will do great for you!

You might fall into the SSD/HDD pit of wanting more SSDs and HDDs... I'm at 1 SSD and 3 HDDs with 1 E-HDD... I need more. >_>
    "A flower.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    if i get a ssd i want it to hold my os and wow and bf3 and my web browser. do you think 120 will be enough for that without issues?
    I have a 128 Gig SSD and ATM I have Windows 7 ult 64, Norton, WoW,D3 Path of Exile, Magic online, 3D mark 11, CpuZ, Vent, Ccleaner, Mumble, and smaller various files and have 46 gigs of storage left.

Honestly, I'd go the bigger SSD. Especially if tend to play 2 to 3 higher capacity games, like say WoW and GW2. Leaves you room for future expansions and other games you might want to play.

I'd especially do this if its only going to be a month or 2 before you are able to purchase a high capacity data drive. Hell, the WD Caviar Blues are around $70 atm.

Definitely go higher capacity on the SSD, data drive later. IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    I have a 128 Gig SSD and ATM I have Windows 7 ult 64, Norton, WoW,D3 Path of Exile, Magic online, 3D mark 11, CpuZ, Vent, Ccleaner, Mumble, and smaller various files and have 46 gigs of storage left.
    Drop the Norton and pick up Microsoft Security Essentials. >_<
    "A flower.