Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Follow function "broken" in 5.2

Blizzard has effectively broken the follow function in BGs (and instances from what i could gather) basically making multiboxing near impossible now. While alot of you will point to the botting problem and say this will stop it I would like you to know that most, if not all(?), the widespread botting programs have not used following as a function for a long time now.

Basically this is a huge slight at multiboxers and somewhat surprising given Blizzard's previous stance.

Deleted
    I will not point to bots, but to the rapidly rising count of totally out-of-control jerk kids in this game. If it spares me the work of initiating a kick vote in any single damn group because someone has three guildmates on follow, it sadly has it's merit.

Deleted
    You mean I can't put follow on someone in AV anymore while I tab out for a minute? Damn.

Hope it's not a bug, so fed up with people putting follow on me.

But I must admit it's fun to find ways to kill them, drowning is a nice one.
    Last edited by Exeris; 2013-03-06 at 01:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Clay- View Post
    I will not point to bots, but to the rapidly rising count of totally out-of-control jerk kids in this game. If it spares me the work of initiating a kick vote in any single damn group because someone has three guildmates on follow, it sadly has it's merit.
    Gotta agree, there is just no decent reason to need a follow function in a BG at all. Instancing it can be useful if you are on a guild run and have to take a quick bio break etc and your guildies want to continue without you. I will miss the days of putting the tank on follow and just using instant cast heals for the whole instance.

Deleted
    just read about it.

Awesome fix for multibox cheating on it's own.
    But the really sweet part is the oqueue addon author is a prolific boxer himself. Quite possibly going to quit the game over this and make oqueue go away for good as well.

Two birds with one stone.
    Last edited by mmoc10839b38d9; 2013-03-06 at 01:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great change. Bravo!
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

This could potentially break LFR.

I think its bg specific.

autofollow really serves no purpose outside of botting/multiboxing anyway, they could just remove the feature. I use it about once a year.

what did they change about it ?

It's confirmed as broken in Arena's also, which leads me to believe it is actually targetted at Multiboxers.

Quote Originally Posted by soulzek View Post
    autofollow really serves no purpose outside of botting/multiboxing anyway, they could just remove the feature. I use it about once a year.

what did they change about it ?
    Now that you mention it I can't remember last time I used it, but I have vote kicked a loooooooooooot of people doing it on me.(unless they say they are going to the bathroom or something) Both in bgs and lfr.

---------- Post added 2013-03-06 at 02:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kiteh View Post
    It's confirmed as broken in Arena's also, which leads me to believe it is actually targetted at Multiboxers.
    This actually scares me slightly, there was no reason to do this for arenas far as I know. So now I'm concerned it might be a bug, god I hope not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterbom View Post
    Now that you mention it I can't remember last time I used it, but I have vote kicked a loooooooooooot of people doing it on me.(unless they say they are going to the bathroom or something) Both in bgs and lfr.

---------- Post added 2013-03-06 at 02:57 AM ----------

This actually scares me slightly, there was no reason to do this for arenas far as I know. So now I'm concerned it might be a bug, god I hope not.
    To be honest, this change actually does seem too good to be true.

Let's face the cold, hard facts. WoW is a cash-cow by now. As far as money is concerned, Blizzard has no integrity whatsoever, no respect for "legit" players at all.

They have in the past stated cheating by way of multi boxing is allowed and even used the same BS excuses the cheaters use ("Being in direct control of a character when using a third party program which is emulating the other 2-39 sets of arms you do not have attached to your body and automating the process of pressing the respective ability on all those characters" Yeah right. That makes a lot sense).

Goes well with their overall stance on botting, wintrading, generally exploiting. (which is as long as you pay for the game you'll be able to play the game, albeit with some temporary suspension if you'Re really naughty. And dont say anything racist in public channels or you might be gone for good)

So in all likeliness this is actually a bug.

Just remember once Blizzard reinstates multi box cheating - dont blame the multi-boxers for doing what they enjoy, blame Blizzard for being a bunch of greedy whatever-you-want-to-call-them.

Quote Originally Posted by soulzek View Post
    autofollow really serves no purpose outside of botting/multiboxing anyway, they could just remove the feature.
    Okay but from now on you have to be the one who gets up from his chair to go get me another pack of cheetos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Well, this is just an annoyance more than anything.

1. It stops multiboxers, which pay for multiple WoW accounts and give Blizzard money
    2. It doesn't stop botting
    3. It's annoying for normal people who like putting on follow and getting a drink (or toilet break etc) in the starting gates so they don't have to catch up when they get back

meh, hope its a bug.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I think if you are seriously into multiboxing, you'll be running a program that copies all your control-inputs to every client, which means you don't need to use the /follow command.

While multiboxing is not much of a deal, the kind of multiboxers that just have their alt-accounts passively follow the main without actually doing anything are just a bad as bots. So honestly, I kinda like the change. Not just because of that, but it makes botting clients that make use of the /follow command rather useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Xolotl View Post
    just read about it.

Awesome fix for multibox cheating on it's own.
    But the really sweet part is the oqueue addon author is a prolific boxer himself. Quite possibly going to quit the game over this and make oqueue go away for good as well.

Two birds with one stone.
    How is multiboxing cheating?they just got too much money.

NA NA NA NA na na na na HEY HEY HEY GOOD RIDDANCE.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormgnoef View Post
    How is multiboxing cheating?they just got too much money.
    The question is how is it not?

Now, multi boxing on a basic level is not cheating. Take EVE for exampe, multi boxing is allowed as long as you find a way to use multiple mice, keypads and keyboards to control every account individually. You need to get creative.

Multi boxing in WoW and many other games, by way of letting third party tools duplicate one single key press and send the command to several clients in a split millisecond is blatant cheating in its purest form. Sanctioned by Blizzard for years because they like money more than keeping their integrity intact, but cheating still. I am still convinced this is a bug but I would be pleasantly surprised if that were not the case.

One part of the issue is that multi boxing is not used in RBGs and arena where it's fair and a non issue(still cheating though ofc). In random BGs however there is no coordination amongst players or hardly any. And that's the way it is meant to be. It's for people solo queuing their alts to get geared up or just random fun for solo players or small groups of friends to jump into PvP casually and be matched against opponent in the same boat. Offering a similar experience for everyone.

The multi box experience however is one player picking one target, pressing one button, then unloading severe focus fire from up to 40 accounts instantly.
    And again, you can summon an equal ammount of interplay and focus action in an organized group of people calling out targets and assisting the target caller. RBGs and Arena are for organized groups though. Random BGs are not.

And the fact is if multi boxing was allowed in RBGs and arena nobody would do it anymore either way because it wouldnt work. If there is somebody more aware than the players on the receiving end about the unsurmountably unfair advantage it poses in random BGs, it's the cheaters themselves.

In relation to this topic just saw a thread on the us.battlenet forum. Although the OP is pushing it by saying Blizz is discriminating against blind people, I really feel for the blind player who can't play anymore because of this change.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...8619794?page=1