Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It's important to be sensitive about this topic because obesity is an extreme behavior. Extreme behaviors, be it overeating, abusing substances, or any other such behavior, can easily lead to addiction, depending on the person's psyche. As someone who has suffered from an addiction, although I have mostly overcome it, I can totally understand how people may become addicted to food and I think food addiction is the problem behind a lot of obesity. Consistent pleasure derived from a stimulus, such as eating very tasty foods, will, in some people's minds, begin a compounding effect where the brain becomes more and more attached to that stimulus and continually needs more and more of it. At a certain threshold, this need for pleasure through stimulus will begin to override reason and thoughts such as "this food is causing me to be unhealthy" wont matter. This concept is not theory, nor opinion - it's proven fact in how addictions work. In light of this, telling someone to "just stop" is meaningless and totally insensitive. For them, it's not a rational choice to overeat, but an almost instinctive reaction to satisfy what their brain has become to interpret as necessary for survival.
    Last edited by j46ebucemag; 2013-03-07 at 05:11 AM.
    -Many thanks to Cocoacross for this amazing signature!-

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of overweight people do take responsibility for their actions. And some overweight people actually do have a genetic or medical problem causing them to gain weight. So your assumptions are baseless, and your questions are poorly worded.

Obesity is a serious problem in the world today, and we should strive to help people lose weight, if they chose to do so. Threads like this are unproductive.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    sure i'm sure you think... fat peoples = pigs who eat a lots of fast food and junks ?

Some people have health problem and psychological issues. If you're overweight it doesn't mean that you eat at McDonald's every days !
    \m/(-_-)\m/

I'm alone again and old pine tree
    Asked me, where's your woman?
    I said: Shut up or I make of you another Firewood

'' Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now, if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain’t you. You’re better than that!'' - Rocky Balboa.

Stop blaming others, stop blaming anything. If you're fat and blaming something, its your own fault. You're not fat boned, you're not fat because of genes. You're fat because you are too lazy to do anything about it. Afraid of leaving that comfort zone of yours, afraid of sacrificing? Well, stay there on your couch, chair, ground for as long as you like. The only thing you'll hear from your own Doctor once you wake up in the Hospital is that you recieved cardiac arrest. And if you dont do anything about it, that very bed will be your death bed. Its harsh, its bloody harsh. But, if you dont realise, well, you might aswell do what you do, and purchase yourself a gravestone as a headstart. You know it, I know it, everybody else knows it.

Stop killing yourselves. Life is too precious to waste.
    PS: This is not directed towards anybody specific.

I do not mean to sound harsh, but sometimes; when people blames something for not taking initiative for themselves gets to me. Please, just please; dont die to fucking cardiac arrest because your body couldnt handle that body fat. Just fucking do something about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I blame racism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    I blame racism.
    Fat is the new gay, which was the new black.

If the OP wrote a thread about gays or blacks with the same tone, how fast would it have been shut down and him banned?
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawdliek View Post
    '' Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now, if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain’t you. You’re better than that!'' - Rocky Balboa.

Stop blaming others, stop blaming anything. If you're fat and blaming something, its your own fault. You're not fat boned, you're not fat because of genes. You're fat because you are too lazy to do anything about it. Afraid of leaving that comfort zone of yours, afraid of sacrificing? Well, stay there on your couch, chair, ground for as long as you like. The only thing you'll hear from your own Doctor once you wake up in the Hospital is that you recieved cardiac arrest. And if you dont do anything about it, that very bed will be your death bed. Its harsh, its bloody harsh. But, if you dont realise, well, you might aswell do what you do, and purchase yourself a gravestone as a headstart. You know it, I know it, everybody else knows it.

Stop killing yourselves. Life is too precious to waste.
    PS: This is not directed towards anybody specific.

I do not mean to sound harsh, but sometimes; when people blames something for not taking initiative for themselves gets to me. Please, just please; dont die to fucking cardiac arrest because your body couldnt handle that body fat. Just fucking do something about it.
    While I agree for the most part it's hard to judge others when we don't know what it's like to be that "fat" person and instead the OP makes some pretty big assumptions and generalizations on fat people. Also to clarify are we talking people who weigh 100lbs+ overweight or just 20-50ish? I mean yeah its bad when people are morbidly obese but we still don't know what drove them to that point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    That is quite a bit underweight, unless you are a small framed person (and even then it is still a bit underweight). That can be just as unhealthy as being overweight.
    Well I can see my abdominals and I have muscle mass, it's not like I'm all bone.
    I tend to store all my fat on my stomach and still have not an inch of fat on my arms, legs etc, it looks stupid so I maintain a low body fat. Think of a pregnant skinny guy, it's like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    So because I'm not you 200-210 isn't healthy? You realize people are different? I'm 6ft tall and just have a bigger build and I've been weight lifting for over a year now so yeah if I didn't lift then yeah my weight would be in the 180 range for healthy. Don't try and generalize everyone. My cousin is 5'10" and weighs 195 and has barely any fat and has been fit his whole life, my family are just big people in general even when fit. Also the BMI scale is a load of shit, I'm pretty sure my doctor knows more then you when it comes to what weight I should be at.
    Not trying to insult you but I don't trust doctors especially US ones, they still believe that margarine is healthy and butter is not.
    They still think most fat is bad and eating it will kill you, based off of the heavily flawed lipid hypothesis.
    I understand trusting a "professional" over some random on the internet, though.

Since we're the same height, I just can't imagine weighing 100 lbs more than I do now and still being 'healthy', unless it was all muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Fat is the new gay, which was the new black.

If the OP wrote a thread about gays or blacks with the same tone, how fast would it have been shut down and him banned?
    People don't choose to be gay, people don't choose to be black, but people do choose to be fat.

They don't choose it moment to moment, but by the choices they live by, they might as well. This is good news, it means people can change if they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by superstarz View Post
    So i know this fat person and she is really fat
    So fat to the point she cant walk without having pains in her knee.

But when people ask her to lose weight she says she cant lose weight and shes fat because its in her genes.

When i heard that i was just thinking.
    "oh its your genes making you fat is it? it's not the 2 bacon and egg sandwiches and 3 hashbrowns and sausages you had for breakfast, or the whole pizza, garlic bread and 10 chicken wings and 2litre coke you had for dinner?

seriously people need to own up to their actions.
    If i wanted to be fat i could, i could eat anything i want and get fat but i choose not to.
    Eating is like a luxury, especially eating food that taste good.
    So sometimes people need to sacrafice some food to lose weight..

Do you know a fat person who blames others or genes for their weight?
    Or are you a fat person who blames others?
    I kinda agree its genes, I know people that eat like that and are as thin as a rake, unfair that some people are more prone to gaining weight than others eating similar diets :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Oh look, someone that thinks they know everything about what another person is going through.

I do not understand why many people do many things. That is life. Until you know exactly what someone else is going through, stfu and mind your own business.

We have established individual differences as scientific fact, yet some people still just do not get it.

You are clueless OP. You think that you are exactly the way that you are by choice. That directly goes against just about everything that I have learned in my life. Pop a different brain in or change your life experiences and you would be totally different despite your illusion of control.

Yes, many of us are fat via our life choices, but there are many variables involved.
    Most ignorant and self righteous post I have ever read. She eats like the OP says she eats and you think she is fat because of "others"? Get off your f#ck%ng high horse and open your eyes. NO ONE is responsible for yourself other than yourself. If said person has an uncontrollable effect like a thyroid problem then there is a damn pill that can be taken to less than $100 a year. You just have to not be a lazy fatty and take it every day.

I suggest you stop shelting these people and have them own up to thier own problem instead of what your doing. It's so damn easy to lose weight even WITH a thyroid problem:

Step 1. Stop eating like a pig
    Step 2. Get your butt off the couch and get active

For those with thyroid problems:

Step 1. Take a pill
    Step 2. Stop eating like a pig
    Step 3. Get your butt of the couch and get active

I'm nopt trying to be an asshole or anything, but continuing to give people excuses for their own mistakes needs to stop, REGARDLESS of what you know, what you don't know, or what you THINK you know.

Our bodies were never meant to get that big...

Deleted
    Tbf.. u are trying to make the point, where people don't have it in their genes, that they do it cuz they are lazy etc, yet.. being lazy and ur personality AND EVERYTHING.. is in ur genes. Believe it or not, willpower.. EVERYTHING.. is in chemistry.. inside ur head..
    So yes.. genes are at fault for that.. so she is right. And if she is dumb, lazy, lacks willpower etc.. and u find that to be stupid, onlyway u can help her, is by helping her. This is speaking from a lazy persons perspective, i don't have a family that helps me, god knows why people don't, i was lucky that i wasn't lazy enough, and life forced me to start doing diets..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeruk View Post
    I kinda agree its genes, I know people that eat like that and are as thin as a rake, unfair that some people are more prone to gaining weight than others eating similar diets :S
    If it's in the genes, then why do we have more extreme obese people in the United States than in another country?

I think to say it's in the genes is incorrect way of putting it. I think it's more correct to say it's in the genes for someone not to be fat, but for others it's more of a choice either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    People don't choose to be gay, people don't choose to be black, but people do choose to be fat.

They don't choose it moment to moment, but by the choices they live by, they might as well. This is good news, it means people can change if they want to.
    Can a Fat person no more control the foods they are attracted to eat then a Homosexual the same sex? A fat person is supposed to suppress their desires but a gay person isn't? How is this different really? Why is Male on Male anal sex more acceptable then a 300lb man who loves Pizza?
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Bzzzt - wrong. Some people choose to be fat, others don't have a choice.

---------- Post added 2013-03-07 at 05:42 AM ----------

Can a Fat person no more control the foods they are attracted to eat then a Homosexual the same sex?
    Whilst I agree with your end result, your path to that result is flawed. I like women (i.e. straight), however no women like me (I'm fugly) - I control my attraction to women, and do not have sex with them (I think it would be called rape if I did). That is - when the outcome is undesirable, and one has an option - one can control desires.

If my only problem was the food I liked, then that isn't a problem. The problem is that I'm not well off enough to afford kitchen/stove/oven etc and thus tend have to eat take away or simple cheap food often. Many people are overweight because of issues that are real, saying you are overweight just because you like pizza - that IS just an excuse.
    Last edited by schwarzkopf; 2013-03-07 at 05:42 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am fat and I dont blame anything but myself and the delicious foods I love to eat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Bzzzt - wrong. Some people choose to be fat, others don't have a choice.

---------- Post added 2013-03-07 at 05:42 AM ----------

Whilst I agree with your end result, your path to that result is flawed. I like women (i.e. straight), however no women like me (I'm fugly) - I control my attraction to women, and do not have sex with them (I think it would be called rape if I did). That is - when the outcome is undesirable, and one has an option - one can control desires.

If my only problem was the food I liked, then that isn't a problem. The problem is that I'm not well off enough to afford kitchen/stove/oven etc and thus tend have to eat take away or simple cheap food often. Many people are overweight because of issues that are real, saying you are overweight just because you like pizza - that IS just an excuse.
    Yes you can't hurt others because of your attractions. But being is not really harming anyone else so its an issue of personal freedom and societal tolerance. Much like Homosexuality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can a Fat person no more control the foods they are attracted to eat then a Homosexual the same sex? A fat person is supposed to suppress their desires but a gay person isn't? How is this different really? Why is Male on Male anal sex more acceptable then a 300lb man who loves Pizza?
    Being gay is a destructive force on society as a whole, or at least I don't think so. There have been large amounts of gays for thousands of years.

Being fat definitely is a destructive force on society since the epidemic rise has only happened in the past 40 years. Questionable whether it will ever peak. If it does not peak, it could just become another evolutionary factor that decides who breeds and who doesn't.

Honestly, I think we have already reached that point since I personally knew many women who can't have children because of weight.

(what is scary is that our technology in medicine might prevent such a thing from taking it's correct, natural course)
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2013-03-07 at 05:59 AM.

I see a few people bringing up the "excuse" of things like genetics, hypothyroidism, depression, etc., for what can make people fat. I want to point out that these things, while perhaps making it easier to gain weight, cannot, in any way, directly make a person fat. It is physically impossible to gain weight unless you consume more calories than your body burns to survive. While various factors such as those mentioned by other posters may affect your metabolism (That is to say how many calories you need to maintain weight), the only way to actually gain weight is to overeat. Of course, overeating is different for everyone. Eating 2,000 calories a day might be just right for one person, but might be overeating for another.

I think some people don't realize how big of a difference a seemingly small amount of calories can actually make. One 12 ounce can of soda is approximately 130 calories, give or take a bit depending on the type. If you were to consume just one can every single day, that would be over 45,000 calories per year. That amount of calories could potentially be a difference of 10 pounds over the course of a year. Over the course of many years, those sodas can add up. That's quite a lot for such a small treat!

As many people have said, not all fat people blame their size on factors other than themselves, but there are plenty who do. I will admit that fat people who say it's not their fault do piss me off. Not because they are fat, but because they say it isn't their fault. If they didn't like it, they can eat less and be active. If you keep reducing calories, at some point you will find the right amount of calories to lose weight and you can eat that amount until you reach a goal.

That having been said, anyone who blames anything that is their fault on some other factor pisses me off. Gaming addiction, alcoholism, irresponsible finances, whatever. If they blame others or outside factors that aren't the sole cause and refuse to accept fault, I am very put off by it.

Just my two cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Being gay is a destructive force on society as a whole, or at least I don't think so. There have been large amounts of gays for thousands of years.

Being fat definitely is a destructive force on society since the epidemic rise has only happened in the past 40 years. Questionable whether it will ever peak. If it does not peak, it could just become another evolutionary factor that decides who breeds and who doesn't.

Honestly, I think we have already reached that point since I personally knew many women who can't have children because of weight.
    That seems like a really silly argument. Being fat is bad because it might limit population growth, but being gay doesn't? You know 2 dudes or 2 chicks can't make a kid without getting a 3rd person to help. (and yes being gay is not a choice, but there is clearly many cases of Gay people having children through heterosexual relations)

Also turn on some daytime TV, half those shows are fat poor women with 5 kids trying to figure out who the daddy is. It seems like fat people are breeding just fine.
    Last edited by Korgoth; 2013-03-07 at 05:57 AM.