Poll: Poll

Thread: Jedi vs Sith

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Jedi vs Sith

Mainly for the Star Wars fans, but which side do you prefer and why? And if you could, even become one, which would you become?

Deleted
    Personally, I'd prefer "pulling a Bindo" and walking a path that, while mostly staying in the light, sometimes allowed for a little grey. The Jedi and the Sith both get a lot wrong as both their philosophies state that only an extreme existence (chaste piety or hedonistic depravity) is the right one. Both have their good points like, 'don't let your emotions get the better of you' or 'love thyself', but to polarise your lifestyle to such extremes is bound to keep you constantly on the edge in a very vulnerable state of mind.
    But, if I had to choose one way to follow, it would be Jedi because I value altruism more than personal gain.

Some Force-user needs to follow Jolee's example and start the School of "Stop Taking Yourselves So Seriously". I'd happily join up there. I guess the Revanites kind of moulded a philosophy of Force duality, but that was more to maximise one's Force power than to just not go insane. =I

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm with Baiyn. I think I'd rather walk a middle path, but I lean Jedi in the end

10+ Year Old Account
    The Jedi philosophy is pretty broken. They're so afraid of succumbing to the Dark Side that they shut off most emotions that makes us human, or humanoid since this takes place in space. I'd side with the Sith, not because they have a better sense for style - which they do - but because I'd be allowed to feel whatever I feel. If the people effectively leading the country/universe put aside all the emotions that the Jedi do, I think we'd end up with something close to the government system in the anime Psycho-Pass. Banning all things that could potentially lead to the Dark Side, not paying attention to the fact that everything needs to be taken into moderation. (even warcraft!) Now, the Sith certainly has it's cons, like killing the people around you just because, but being put in the same group as the most extreme (sith lords) is because of the Jedi exiling people that are force-sensitive but don't share their views. Ultimately.. I guess I'd want something in the middle, but leaning more to the Sith than the Jedi.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a do-gooder, so morally I'm on the light side, but as to subscribing to the beliefs and doctrine of one or the other, I'd rather not be involved with either. A Gray Jedi, as the one depicted in kotor.

Deleted
    The Sith, no doubts. Be a badass, that is absolutely free to do whatever he wants to do, shoot lightning out of your finger tips? Hell yeah.
    Plus, they have a thing for melodramatic actions.

mostly gray. sith are too extreme, and jedi forbid love. if it wasn't for the love thing i would be jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    The Sith, no doubts. Be a badass, that is absolutely free to do whatever he wants to do, shoot lightning out of your finger tips? Hell yeah.
    Plus, they have a thing for melodramatic actions.

Force Lightning is not entirely a Sith technique. Jedi sometimes use it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Force Lightning is not entirely a Sith technique. Jedi sometimes use it.
    I'm pretty sure it's a dark side technique tho, so the only jedi that can use it are gray jedi.

If I had to pick between just the Jedi and the Sith, I'd go with the Sith. Really though, I'd be more like the Revanites or Bindo. I'd be neutral, and utilize the benefits of both parts of the Force.

Deleted
    I'd choose neither. Both requires your allegiance and that's something I wouldn't want to give if I was a jedi/sith. I'd learn both ways of the sith and jedi and go neutral afterwards and do whatever(no, I wouldn't go on a killing spree or anything) I want and just live.

I'd probably be a Jedi/Sith Bounty Hunter(a jedi/Sith that hunts people like Bounty Hunters I guess) or something like that, or an explorer, maybe both.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's a dark side technique tho, so the only jedi that can use it are gray jedi.
    Well, everyone can use it but it just "costs" more power if you're Jedi, and less if you're Sith, that's what I got atleast from the KOTOR games, not really sure if this applies to all of the Star Wars Universe or not, doubt it tbh but I don't know.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-03-07 at 04:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Well, everyone can use it but it just "costs" more power if you're Jedi, and less if you're Sith, that's what I got atleast from the KOTOR games, not really sure if this applies to all of the Star Wars Universe or not, doubt it tbh but I don't know.
    I haven't played through the kotor games, but I thought that was just a game mechanic. I've always assumed that force lightning requires you to focus your anger through your hands, something that the Jedi wouldn't do.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

15+ Year Old Account
    I would go sith and go my own way. It is less rules there in that I can go my own way without being hunted down by them. If I were Jedi and go my own way they might see is as me going over to the dark side and hunt me down as a result

Jedi for sure.

I'm too nice and kind to be a backstabber.
    Last edited by muto; 2013-03-07 at 06:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Jedi for sure.

I'm too nice and kind to be a backstabber.
    But if your friend Jedi falls in love and begins a relationship, you'd have to report that to the Jedi Council. Even if that's against the Jedi code, wouldn't you call that backstabbing?
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

I am with many others here. I would walk the middle path. I know I would abuse my power, but I would not do it as much in a malicious power grabbing sith way. I just want to use it for my own amusement (playing pranks on others, making life overall simpler, etc). I would not be killing others, but honestly I could see myself using it to con/rob or otherwise take advantage of others. I am "gray" but it is trending to a darker "gray."

Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    But if your friend Jedi falls in love and begins a relationship, you'd have to report that to the Jedi Council. Even if that's against the Jedi code, wouldn't you call that backstabbing?
    Nope. He didn't follow the rules.

There's a difference between snitching and backstabbing.

Deleted
    Sith, I think the Jedi are awesome, but the organization looks to much like a celibatarian monk association to be badass awesome.
    The Sith look like they tolerate luxury more and I like the Illuminati/undercover style association.

I'm not an expert on star wars lore, so I might be wrong, but thats my view on it and I won't change it because someone shows me facts and logical assumptions

---------- Post added 2013-03-07 at 07:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Robutt View Post
    Personally, I'd prefer "pulling a Bindo" and walking a path that, while mostly staying in the light, sometimes allowed for a little grey. The Jedi and the Sith both get a lot wrong as both their philosophies state that only an extreme existence (chaste piety or hedonistic depravity) is the right one. Both have their good points like, 'don't let your emotions get the better of you' or 'love thyself', but to polarise your lifestyle to such extremes is bound to keep you constantly on the edge in a very vulnerable state of mind.
    But, if I had to choose one way to follow, it would be Jedi because I value altruism more than personal gain.

Some Force-user needs to follow Jolee's example and start the School of "Stop Taking Yourselves So Seriously". I'd happily join up there. I guess the Revanites kind of moulded a philosophy of Force duality, but that was more to maximise one's Force power than to just not go insane. =I
    I like the dark vs light theme, but I agree, if I would be able to choose, I would go for the middle ground, the grey side of the force

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Nope. He didn't follow the rules.

There's a difference between snitching and backstabbing.
    So rather than letting your friend be happy, you'd let him be exiled, simply for loving another person. That's what a nice and kind person would do?

Obeying the rules, no matter how incredibly terrible they really are. Just.. because. Let's say they implemented such a rule/law where you live, would you now turn in your friends, your family? Or would you act on what you think is right/wrong?

I guess this thread wasn't supposed to be that serious, but I like pushing things and see how people react. People who think vastly different interests me.
    Last edited by BHD; 2013-03-07 at 07:15 PM.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Deleted
    I haven't played through the kotor games, but I thought that was just a game mechanic. I've always assumed that force lightning requires you to focus your anger through your hands, something that the Jedi wouldn't do.
    Well, you can use whatever is avaibale in the KOTOR games, it just costs more if you're using dark side powers while on the light side. I don't know if this reflects the entire thing, I doubt it but yeah.
    So rather than letting your friend be happy, you'd let him be exiled, simply for loving another person. That's what a nice and kind person would do?
    I know this isn't redirected at me but I want to type anyway.

That's why I don't like neither side of the force. Light side is too delusional, following petty rules that can be their doom. Most of them aren't bad but some are way over the top and I consider them stupid.

Dark side is probably the one where you get more freedom, so to speak. There's no sense of duty, as in, you're not forced to snitch on your friend, over some stupid rule that the Jedi have, and, well, I don't know but it's less, restraining but in the end, it's too much too, like the Jedi/light side.

I mean, the main problem here isn't the Dark side or the Light side, imo, it's more about the Jedi and the Sith, the rules that they enforce. I don't see a problem with either Light or Dark. Though, yes, it's possible that one of them will draw you to certain things, good and/or bad for both sides.

But meh, even so, I'm kinda stuck with how Jedi/Sith are and I think that the Light/Dark reflect their actions, meaning that if I'm light, I'll do what Jedi would even though I'm not a Jedi, same thing for the Sith.

That's why I prefer the grey area, it's neutral, you do and believe in whatever you want and live off of your own moral and so on.