Deleted

Prot pala or blood DK for 10 man HC

i have been asked to swap to tank for our 10 man raiding, my realistic options are blood dk or prot paladin (anything else needs to be levelled). Was wondering what you guys felt is a stronger tank for T15, I am equally comfortable on both.

Our raid comp is as follows:

Tanks
    Warrior
    DK/Pala

healers:
    hpala/disc/monk

DPS
    rogue/SP/mage/boomkin/hunter/warlock/elesham

4 - Conq tokens
    4 - Prot tokens
    3 - Vanq tokens
    + either one more conq or vanq depending on my class

We do not have a plate DPS, so I believe gear (apart from shields/1handers) should not be in too high competition (haste to me, tank to warrior)

Which do you feel is a strong standalone tank at the moment? what brings more raid utility... and would 2 paladins be overkill in a 10 man?

Thanks for any guidance

Deleted
    Paladin. I'd argue that they are the best tanks in 10 man content right now, and they bring way more utility (the more paladins the better really). You'll also share less loot with a paladin (warrior and dk go for slightly more similar stats). Going with a dk definitely isn't a bad option (and I find them way more fun, which you might want to take into account), it's just not quite as good as a pala.

I would say paladin. I play a prot paladin and if your paladin knows how to play and go for haste build he will be counting as one dps as well and also doing 15% healing at least in the raid. Besides cds devotion aura, sacrifice, bop.

Deleted
    In 10man it is definitely Paladin. Let him tank the bosses most of the time so he can get high vengeance for even more healing. In 10man it is all about offhealing and cooldowns, so Paladin is the way to go!

Personally I'd run with dk to help with the even distribution of loot but that's just my opinion!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frylol View Post
    Personally I'd run with dk to help with the even distribution of loot but that's just my opinion!
    Except that it doesn't. The dk can take a 2 hander, while the pala can make better use of a large amount of the dps plate.

Pally for sure. With pally and warrior you're all set.

No plate DPS in your comp ? Gogogo paltank

I'm playing blood DK, wanted to switch to paltank but with a pal ret in the raid it was ... impossible !
    Will continue to top meters with my DK, can do pretty good DPS as well.

Remember though that haste building is atm the worst compared to mastery/avoid gearing tactic to prot pala

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by konne View Post
    Remember though that haste building is atm the worst compared to mastery/avoid gearing tactic to prot pala
    you obviously have zero idea what your talking about......as haste build is still by miles better than avoidance/mastery build

and yeh in 10man raiding not having a prot pally will make the encounters a lot harder than they should be. Its like not being hero/lust to a fight...u can still kill it but not at an optimal pace

Deleted
    Paladin for even loot distrubution + they are a lot better than DKs. Win/Win.

Paladins do not share loot with warrior tanks as they need the "dps" items, and you have no plate dps.
    Paladins also do no need the tokens, so that argument is irrelevent.

So paladins greatly favors you in loot. Though even if it didn't, paladins are way tankier, provides more raid utility and more dps than DKs so they are generally better all around.

Quote Originally Posted by konne View Post
    Uneducated people... Do not talk of something that you do not understand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive played both a pally and DK as MT in 10 and 25hc raiding. From a personal stand point DKs are more fun. That being said (now the raid wide set bonuses of DS are gone) a paladin can offer more raidwide utility with a potentially lower skill cap.

If however you're a tip top player, time and skill arn't an issue, I would recommend leveling a monk tank. They're as fun if not more so than a DK, and in 10man theyre insanely powerful. Their free guard bubbles from the statue alone is a HUGE help, along with zen med', xeun tanking, the 50% slow from barrels, avert harm, off healing, their skills at kiting and their overall mental dps.

If leveling one isn't an option for this tier, but you want to plan ahead; choose DK now, then swap to monk later, as their play styles are more similar than pally to monk.
    Vexxd

LFG to push 15+ m+,
    maybe streaming @ http://www.twitch.tv/vexxee

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xtramuscle View Post
    Ive played both a pally and DK as MT in 10 and 25hc raiding. From a personal stand point DKs are more fun. That being said (now the raid wide set bonuses of DS are gone) a paladin can offer more raidwide utility with a potentially lower skill cap.

If however you're a tip top player, time and skill arn't an issue, I would recommend leveling a monk tank. They're as fun if not more so than a DK, and in 10man theyre insanely powerful. Their free guard bubbles from the statue alone is a HUGE help, along with zen med', xeun tanking, the 50% slow from barrels, avert harm, off healing, their skills at kiting and their overall mental dps.

If leveling one isn't an option for this tier, but you want to plan ahead; choose DK now, then swap to monk later, as their play styles are more similar than pally to monk.
    Why would he level a monk tank into a rogue + hunter set up when the paladin tank loot is getting disenchanted? Also a monk does not provie near the raid utility and damage output as a paladin.

10+ Year Old Account
    For any 10man guild being able to adapt is crucial, both brewmaster and windwalker require the same gear and ret is next to useless when not taking as prot.
    Vexxd

LFG to push 15+ m+,

Deleted
    For any 10man guild being able to adapt is crucial, both brewmaster and windwalker require the same gear and ret is next to useless when not taking as prot.
    Ret and Prot require the same gear aswell, and I prefer a ret OS over a WW os any day. So much more utility in a ret.

Though same as before, the rogue shares gear with him, and the hunter shares some gear. Feels silly to DE the prot/ret gear just to get a sub-par tank with a sub-par OS sharing gear with 2 dpsers. Thats just my 5 cents.

Seems like a lot of hassle for no gain. The only benefit may be that monk is arguably the easiest tank in 10 man environment, but if he already have a paladin/dk that he knows how to play, why would he switch?
    Last edited by mmoc4d8e5d065a; 2013-03-10 at 12:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post

Though same as before, the rogue shares gear with him, and the hunter shares some gear. Feels silly to DE the prot/ret gear just to get a sub-par tank with a sub-par OS sharing gear with 2 dpsers. Thats just my 5 cents.
    Monks scale stupidly well with gear, in BIS they'll be top dps this tier.
    Vexxd

LFG to push 15+ m+,

Deleted
    Well, I have no idea how well monks scale with gear. However, we are still talking about an off spec that will rarely be used.
    I do not feel like that should be the deciding factor. Even so, retris in current gear outperform monks on dps, aswell as being miles ahead in raid utility.

Though yeah, do not see why the off spec is that important.

You can expect them to be nerfed if they end up too high.

Deleted
    Pala no questions.

Pala is the best tank for 10 man actually. He can reach high dps with haste stacking, imprescindible for 10 man raiding, and he has some of the best tanks cds with a 80% uptime 40% physical dmg reduction.